+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, network backbone advice in Technical; Originally Posted by PEO This is something close to what I think should look like on paper I'd go one ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    This is something close to what I think should look like on paper
    I'd go one stage further and remove those last chained switches too - have all of them link directly in.

2. Thanks to localzuk from:

PEO (25th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    hmm

would this be ok. eache server ethernet connection to be directly linked to the core switch. each pair teamed for a 2gb link. And leave the switch in the server rack for the iscsi
    Sounds good, you want your iSCSI traffic isolated and as close as it can be to the servers so having it on its own dedicated switch in the same cab would be perfect. providing direct teamed links for each of the servers directly to the core will also hugely optimize the traffic flow and performance. Also the closest that you can get to a star the better for pathing as this will reduce the hop count and the amount of through traffic making the actual usage and distribution much more efficient within your existing infrastructure.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

PEO (25th June 2009)

PEO
    Thank Post
    does anyone have a rough idea how much it would cost for OM3 cable per meter?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    does anyone have a rough idea how much it would cost for OM3 cable per meter?
    Pre Terminated Fibre Optic Cable, Multi & Single Mode Cables
    Multi Mode 50/125 4 Core Tight Buffered, Internal/External, LSZH, per metre
    £0.73 base price & £0.73 for each subsequent metre.

Multi Mode 50/125 8 Core Tight Buffered, Internal/External, LSZH, per metre
    £1.24 base price & £1.24 for each subsequent metre.

in Pre terminated stuff that you can pull through yourself looks like about £150 to terminate 8 core.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 25th June 2009 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    On 10Gb it's not the fibre cable that costs much but the network switches and fibre modules. To be honest with the size of network indicated by the number of switches on the diagram you probably won't need 10Gb.
    Link agregate your servers directly into the core switch and replace your copper links with fibre and use link aggregation to either 2Gb or 4Gb on the fibres with more than one switch attached.
    If you are pulling any new fibre, 10Gb fibre is hardly any dearer so pull that through for future upgrades and get at least 8 core so you can do as much link agg as possible.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Pre Terminated Fibre Optic Cable, Multi & Single Mode Cables
    Multi Mode 50/125 4 Core Tight Buffered, Internal/External, LSZH, per metre
    £0.73 base price & £0.73 for each subsequent metre.

Multi Mode 50/125 8 Core Tight Buffered, Internal/External, LSZH, per metre
    £1.24 base price & £1.24 for each subsequent metre.

in Pre terminated stuff that you can pull through yourself looks like about £150 to terminate 8 core.
    Ok I've adjusted the plan, and proposal... what do you think. diagram attached

PEO
    Thank Post
    ooops did again forgot to add diagram
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking good, much less traversal of switching and much better core access for the servers. This setup would be a definite improvement over the existing one.Depending on how smart your switches are I would look at implementing STP on them and adding additional copper links between the swiches in the same cabinet making sure that the core is the master switch. This way it will give you redundancy by chopping over to the other switch in the cabinet if a single fiber goes out. This link would not be active at any other time other than if the main links failed. This gives you continuity in the network with only a small window of downtime.Ideally you want to be planning for additional links/faster links in future but the system above would be a vast improvement. One thing that I would say is to never give the impression that this is the last penultimate upgrade. There will always be more stuff that will come along and be required so be sure to convey to the powers that control the money flow that this is just one very positive step along the journy of good IT.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

PEO (25th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ooops did again forgot to add diagram
    Looks better.

But i'd make one last change - the 3 switches daisy chained in the computer room, they are physically close to the core switch? If so, plug them directly in using copper.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

PEO (25th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Looks better.

But i'd make one last change - the 3 switches daisy chained in the computer room, they are physically close to the core switch? If so, plug them directly in using copper.
    I'd dissagree with that change, I thought the same at first but if you have a look at the key the links are stack links. These run at the very least at 10GB and so are much better suited to the duty than a trunked solution in this situation.

15. Thanks to SYNACK from:

PEO (25th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Very interesting read so far, I have some questions if someone would be kind enough to answer

At the moment my core switches are layer 2 just linked together with no real rhyme or reason with severs plugged into different switches along with random network sockets around the school ( inherited network). I wish to improve this because as we have expanded, the network has begun to slow down.

At the moment servers go into one of the core switches which link to outlying layer 2 switches and then feed out to the sockets, most of these links are single fibre links with some being cat 5e. All the fibe is gig with gig media converters at each end and all have redundant pairs.

Am I right in taking the following approach to improve my network structure or have I misunderstood points of this thread.

I want to have a single 48 - port Layer 3 core switch.
    Into this switch I will plug all my main fibre links using link aggregation and utilising the redundant pairs to form a 2 gig fibre backbone. I would also utilise bonding the dual network connections on my main servers to increase throughput and put those into the layer 3 core switch as well. Non main servers would go into the core switch as a single connection. This would use up 35 of the 48 available ports.

All outlying switches would be Layer 2 and then feed to the rooms.

Does this sound right?

Also if I connect other layer 2 swicthes that are in my main cabinet to the core switch would I connect them in with a single cat5 cable or should they be trunked in as well?

I was thinking of this switch as my core?

Support for 3Com® Switch 5500G-EI 24-Port (3CR17250-91) - Features & Benefits

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Disease; 26th June 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    I want to have a single 48 - port Layer 3 core switch.
    Into this switch I will plug all my main fibre links using link aggregation and utilising the redundant pairs to form a 2 gig fibre backbone. I would also utilise bonding the dual network connections on my main servers to increase throughput and put those into the layer 3 core switch as well. Non main servers would go into the core switch as a single connection. This would use up 35 of the 48 available ports.

All outlying switches would be Layer 2 and then feed to the rooms.

Does this sound right?
    Sounds good, with a layer 3 switch you can also implement routing which will decrease the broadcast domain and make more efficient use of the existing links. If you are doing this make sure that you get a L3 switch with L3 switching ability which is distinct from and much faster than L3 routing.

Also if I connect other layer 2 swicthes that are in my main cabinet to the core switch would I connect them in with a single cat5 cable or should they be trunked in as well?
    Trunk these as well to allow for faster traffic flow between them, this also provides redundancy if one link fails.

That looks good, it only has 4 sfps so you would only have the option of two teamed fibre links without grabbing an extra 10GB fibre module. You can get a stackable one that would go with it with room for 24 sfps though if you needed to. It does have L3 switching also which provides insane performance benifits over routing and looks to have free firmware upgrades and all of the generally expected features including stacking to extend the core.

I can't vouch for the quality or not of the hardware itself as I have not dealt with the 3com stuff for quite a while but it does look like a solid building block to build your network around.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd dissagree with that change, I thought the same at first but if you have a look at the key the links are stack links. These run at the very least at 10GB and so are much better suited to the duty than a trunked solution in this situation.
    That depends if the OP is sticking with 3com stacking switches I suppose. Personally I wouldn't touch them, but that's a personal choice.

Also, it depends on the switch - it may not be 10GB or more...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Also, it depends on the switch - it may not be 10GB or more...
    Your right, if they are really old ones the link may be slower but you would not be able to get a faster link by using aggregated links as the limitation is based on the switching fabric and the software in the device. Besides using link aggregation would take up a large chunk of ports and for the moment the existing setup works.

In the future if they changed to a different type of switch for the core or one with a different stacking interface I would recommend that they keep the stack together as it will behave very simmilar to a single switch and just aggregate a whole bunch of links from the new core onto the stack master. This would use far less ports than trunking to each and the stacking internals are usually much better at handleing through traffic due to their optimized interface and software.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your right, if they are really old ones the link may be slower but you would not be able to get a faster link by using aggregated links as the limitation is based on the switching fabric and the software in the device. Besides using link aggregation would take up a large chunk of ports and for the moment the existing setup works.

In the future if they changed to a different type of switch for the core or one with a different stacking interface I would recommend that they keep the stack together as it will behave very simmilar to a single switch and just aggregate a whole bunch of links from the new core onto the stack master. This would use far less ports than trunking to each and the stacking internals are usually much better at handleing through traffic due to their optimized interface and software.
    Or just use a HP 5400zl series switch

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast