+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Wireless Help in Technical; Ok, i am wanting to set up a wireless network for my home, it will include 2 laptops and an ...

Thank Post

Wireless Help

Ok, i am wanting to set up a wireless network for my home, it will include 2 laptops and an old computer. I really dont have a clue what type of wireless i should get but i did a bit of research and i think i need a wireless router, it's the one where the modem connects into it and it sends out the information? please correct me if i am wrong. I need to know how i would connect it up as my computer doesnt have and wireless network card or ethernet but just USB connection. Meanwhile the two laptops both have wireless connectivity. What i am wanting to know is what type of router would be best and how to connect it all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    First Question would be do you have an ADSL (BT, Ticali etc) or Cable (Virgin). so you know what type of router you require.

Once you have this, i can be of more use on how to setup/configure this.

for the computer as you dont have a built in wireless card you would need to purchase a USB Wireless Reciever.

i.e. [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-802-11g-Wireless-Network-Adapter/dp/B0006374PK]Belkin 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter for Win: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

one thing that is important is that you setup wireless encryption (WPA 2) so its not open to unauthorized Users.

Let me know what connection you have, and i'll give you some more info on what router to purchase and how to set it up.

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 21st June 2009 at 01:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Personally I would avoid the usb dongles like the plague and for the desktop computer ( depending on how far away it will be situated away from the router ) either purchase a wireless PCI Card or a PCI network card ( Intel or linksys )

Like you mention use the wireless cards on the laptops.

Thank Post
    Another vote against USB Dongles; I've found them rather temperamental.

For the 'old' computer (how old, XP? or before?) I would go down the wired network card route, not too fussed on the manufacturer, cheap and cheerful has worked fine for me in the past.

As James said; we need to know who your isp is before we can recommend which 'type' of router you need.

Thank Post
    Depending on where the old PC is in relation to the wireless modem/router/switch, if you can't connect it directly, how about using Home Plugs? I use the cheaper version and the down stairs PC works well on the internet at home

-Ken

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm never ever mentioning wireless dongles again!!

Thank Post
    ok, i have an ADSL connection with Utility Warehouse. The computer is an XP. so what type of connection would be best if not the USB dongle?

EDIT>> Provider name
    Last edited by SwanseaCity; 22nd June 2009 at 07:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok ADSL takes more configuring then a Cable Router

so,

Any ADSL Router would probably do you just fine, if we take this NetGear:

Wireless Broadband Routers: DG834GT

Instead of me typing out how to do it just follow this diagram:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg83...ide_112904.pdf

Its around the same setup process for most routers, just the IP address maybe slightly different. It should be in the documentation you recieve. (if not go to Start > Run > CMD > IPCONFIG) and then the "Default Gateway" will be you routers ip in which you will need to type into the address bar in your browser.

As for the wireless dongle, any dongle would be fine it really depends on distance. One of these would do you fine:

Wireless Desktop PC Adapter: WG311T < which you can easily install into any PCI card on the computer.

Hope that helps, obviously if you have a very big house and the distance is quite alot you would be better of with something from the N range.

James.

Thank Post
    hmmm,
    i was looking at that and i found the cheaper version is this still quite good or no? >>>

On the set up guide it shows it being connected to a computer, is that through an Ethernet connection? As my computer doesnt recognise the ethernet card for some reason. Also as it is connected does it mean i have to keep the computer on for the wireless to work? seeing as my computer also have cooling issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

The reason it shows you when its connected to a PC is because it is recommended to use a Ethernet Cable instead of wireless when installing a new router. This is because when to change settings on the router it would restart which means you would loose the connection.

It will work using your wireless dongle, the routers wireless wont be encrypted so you wont have any problems connecting when you go to setup the router.

Yes that router is cheaper and that is because the wireless technology used downgrades slightly, it just means you wont get so much distance out of the wireless antenies.. and the speed wont be as quick locally. but it really all depends on how far your computer is away from your wireless router and weather your going to be transfering files accross your LAN (i am guessing you wont be doing the later, but just so you know for future reference)

Your computer will not have to be on permanently no, once you have configured your router that is it.

James.

11. Thanks to EduTech from:

SwanseaCity (22nd June 2009)

Thank Post
    From past experience I've found the only way to configure Netgear routers is through ethernet first time around. I will stand corrected though if anyone can suggest otherwise. You can connect it to your laptop for configuration and then simply remove the ethernet if you want to go completely wireless.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    From past experience I've found the only way to configure Netgear routers is through ethernet first time around. I will stand corrected though if anyone can suggest otherwise. You can connect it to your laptop for configuration and then simply remove the ethernet if you want to go completely wireless.
    I have configured NetGear routers by just using the wireless connection, you just have to bear with it more. once you have saved changes and it re-boots you just have to wait to connect again.

But yeah i have done it, it was a newer one so maybe it has changed since you tried.

PLEASE NOTE: You dont have to use NetGear there are many other vendors out there you can use, it was just an example. they are fairly cheap though and do the job your looking for.

14. Thanks to EduTech from:

SwanseaCity (22nd June 2009)

Thank Post
    ok, thanks very much, very useful help and it has made it not so confusing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanseaCity View Post
    ok, thanks very much, very useful help and it has made it not so confusing.
    No Problem, anytime

If you get stuck, just drop a post here and i'll reply.. or another member if i am not around will be able to help you out.

Have Fun!

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Wireless Desktop PC Adapter: WG311T < which you can easily install into any PCI card on the computer.
    Not to be a pain and I know most of us know what you mean but I think you meant

PCI Slot on the motherboard ( which yes is in a desktop computer )

Also linksys is what I would go for ( netgear are fairly good ) there are a few people who suggest draytek on here ( but money wise they are quite a lot of at least in comparison to a linksys or netgear) depending on where you get your stuff from like with anything else will obviously make the price vary some what.

Maybe someone on here knows a good place to get draytek stuff from ( excluding ebay ) at a decent price.

Although ebay can be a good place to look as you can find some good deals on there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast