+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, A Completly Free IT Suite is our aim can you help ? in Technical; Unfortunately i cant help, we're not doing any big upgrades workstation wise, but i just wanted to say that i ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately i cant help, we're not doing any big upgrades workstation wise, but i just wanted to say that i admire what you are doing and i wish you the best of luck.

There are a LOT of helpful people on this forum and i hope that there is someone out there who is in the position to help you.

Please keep us updated.

Thank Post
    I may be able to get some servers that may be of help. I will need to check with Bursar re moving kits between schools.

Can I also suggest that you look at using open source software to get more life out of your old kit. For example, we are going to reuse some old laptops by turning them into work stations as batteries are all died in them! But they are fine for running office applications and connecting to moodle

There is a web site dedicated to helping schools use OSS see Open Source Schools and a good case study of interest maybe Alton Convent - low-cost computer suite | Open Source Schools. It may also be worth you asking for help on that site, as less of a commercial aspect to the people that use and run the site.

Please PM if you would like more details, happy to help if I can.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll have to take a look at what we have in storage, i'll have a word with my boss on monday as we probably could do with clearing up some space.

I know we have some printers as well, dont know what were doing with them yet, but if its for a good cause i am sure we can sort something out.

I'll mention it on monday, were not that far from Wes.

James.

Thank Post
    We'd love to help but we have none in storage - we have just got rid of seventy machines!

But good luck and let us know how you get on

r

Thank Post
    Does anyone know what it'd take or cost to become WEEE certified? or atleast certified enough to take ownership of PC's and guarentee that they'll be wiped to a satisfactory level? I keep meaning to look into it but never get round to it.

I've got a few contacts in corperate IT, they are unable to donate pc's they are getting rid of to schools/charities due to the extra hastle it involves and the potential come backs. If a school could approach such companies and offer to take working pcs for free and provide the nessesary legal bits so that its all above board I'm sure a few corperates would be willing to cooperate. I guess you'd need to be willing to take a serious number of pc's to make it worth their time though. Then again even the smaller schools have 50+ workstations these days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The WEEE certifications and secure data destruction are not linked at all, but for the latter its HMG Infosec levels you need to be looking at. Blancco is a good example of certifiable software for that purpose and is good for infosec level 5 - the standard used for data destruction by the MOD, NHS etc etc. Costs atm I have no idea on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    and a good case study of interest maybe Alton Convent - low-cost computer suite | Open Source Schools.
    Oh, erm, that's us! The thin clients work fine, but did cost us some money. At first we re-used some older PCs and bought second-hand 15" LCD screens from a second-hand dealer in Southampton. Those worked well but looked a bit clunky in our rather small IT room, so then we bought second-hand RM One machines (from user Sysman_mk on this forum). We didn't care about the processor in them, but the all-in-one design makes them great thin clients! We also spent around 2,000 on a server to run the clients. That included a fair bit of disk space and probably has some spare capacity, but you would probably still need a decent 500 - 1,000 server to manage. Saying that, the server is now 2 years old, so you might be able to find something similar second-hand coming from an industry that replaces their servers every 3 years.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Oh, erm, that's us! The thin clients work fine, but did cost us some money. At first we re-used some older PCs and bought second-hand 15" LCD screens from a second-hand dealer in Southampton. Those worked well but looked a bit clunky in our rather small IT room, so then we bought second-hand RM One machines (from user Sysman_mk on this forum). We didn't care about the processor in them, but the all-in-one design makes them great thin clients! We also spent around 2,000 on a server to run the clients. That included a fair bit of disk space and probably has some spare capacity, but you would probably still need a decent 500 - 1,000 server to manage. Saying that, the server is now 2 years old, so you might be able to find something similar second-hand coming from an industry that replaces their servers every 3 years.

--
    David Hicks
    We have a dual processor server with a reasonable amount of ram and storage. Just need to check with Bursar about moving to another school.

If you added license costs to the above it would have added a LOT to the costs, even with Educational pricing. So it will still offer big savings with a wider variety of software that can be deployed for free.

Thank Post
    we might have an interactive whiteboard you could have, and for disposal and recycling of hardware for use by schools and charities from government departments and businesses, there is Northern Realisations (Northern Realisations - Refurbishment and Remarketing of IT equipment since 1999) 50 gets you a legit xp pro licenced pc with monitor etc (less than the cost of a replacement hard drive. their fully approved for wee, anf microsoft authorised resellers.

They usually take schools old kit for disposal as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    would it not be useful to create/get some kind of freecycle type functionality inside edugeek. I mean not forum but an actual bolt-on application. ?

Thank Post

Smile Progress so far

Firstly thanks Ric you have got the ball rolling. So far I have upgraded our reception classrooms with the TFT Screens donated by Ric previously they had 14 inch compaq crt monitors. Guess what I saw teachers cleaning their own desks after the upgrade. I have pluged in some of the Thin stations donated by Ric Compaq T20S they work and look like they will be very easy to set up this is the future !

The reaction re the tft monitors was fantastic so we ha have a new wishlist.

We can make good use of any amount of TFT Monitors 15" or over (that work)
    Compaq T20 or similar thinstations
    Suggestions of how to get some free Microsoft server software and cals to operate the thin stations legitimately.

I have been away for a week at Glastonbury so am now refreshed and inspired the future is green. I was looking at green power wind turbines solar power etc. We are applying for a grant for soler panels to power our IT suite if successfull we could become the first school in the UK to be running of free power and free reused IT equipment or am I wrong.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    would it not be useful to create/get some kind of freecycle type functionality inside edugeek. I mean not forum but an actual bolt-on application. ?
    I think thats quite a good idea. Suppose in the forum we already have the classified section, what did you have in mind out of interest?

Thank Post
    We have about 16/17 Intel Celery base units going with 256MB RAM, 40GB HDDs. XP Pro sticker CoA's IIRC

Any use before they are WEE'd?

Thank Post

Yes please can you pm me

your contact details.

Thank Post
    Quick update I am off to Birmingham tommorow to collect some computers for the IT Suite if anyone is removing any working tft monitors between Blackpool and Birmingham I would gladly take them off your hands.
    Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12