Poll: Do you have a printer capable of printing A3-folded-to-A4 saddle-stitched books?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, How many schools have printers that can print textbooks? in Technical; Hello All, We've been looking at upgrading our leased photocopier / printer / scanner multi-function devices recently. We're looking at ...

Thank Post

How many schools have printers that can print textbooks?

Hello All,

We've been looking at upgrading our leased photocopier / printer / scanner multi-function devices recently. We're looking at getting something that can print colour booklets on A4 paper then fold and saddle-stitch staple them into A4 size booklets (rather like the Big Issue). It struck me that that's pretty much a printing press-ina-box and that we could print our own 30-page A4 text books. How many other schools have something euqally capable, or are planning to get something similar? Is there a market for text books sold as PDFs and designed to be printed on site?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Not entirely sure if this is what you want, but I would have a look at RISO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much all medium to large sized photocopiers have this option now - ie. Booklet maker and saddle stitch.

Also, 60 pages would be around maximum with such a machine, as the staples can't go through anything thicker (by 60 pages, I mean 15 sheets of A3 paper, each one containing 4 pages).

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

dhicks (18th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    Not entirely sure if this is what you want, but I would have a look at RISO.
    Thanks, but this isn't a question about which bit of hardware to get, we've got that in hand. It just struck me yesterday, after looking at big printers and a thread on the TES site, that we would be perfectly capable of printing our own textbooks on site. Content could be provided as PDF, or even as editable Word, Indesign, etc, files that teachers could edit and change to suite their needs. No need for children to lug large textbooks around with them, and if a textbook gets lost or damaged then it's no big deal to print a few more off. I'm just wondering how many schools actually have one of these large printers around and what the size of the potential market might be for printable content, and if there's anyone offering content to be printed in this fashion.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Thanks, but this isn't a question about which bit of hardware to get, we've got that in hand. It just struck me yesterday, after looking at big printers and a thread on the TES site, that we would be perfectly capable of printing our own textbooks on site. Content could be provided as PDF, or even as editable Word, Indesign, etc, files that teachers could edit and change to suite their needs. No need for children to lug large textbooks around with them, and if a textbook gets lost or damaged then it's no big deal to print a few more off. I'm just wondering how many schools actually have one of these large printers around and what the size of the potential market might be for printable content, and if there's anyone offering content to be printed in this fashion.

--
    David Hicks
    I believe there is such a movement going on in the USA for open source textbooks, or collaborative ones anyway. IIRC there was an article on Digg.com about it a few months back.

Also, this idea is used every day here by some of our teachers. They create termly 'workbooks' for their classes, and then each pupil works through them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Pretty much all medium to large sized photocopiers have this option now - ie. Booklet maker and saddle stitch.
    Indeed, I'm trying to figure out how many schools have them. Hmm, I suddenly respect market researchers more than I used to.

Also, 60 pages would be around maximum with such a machine, as the staples can't go through anything thicker (by 60 pages, I mean 15 sheets of A3 paper, each one containing 4 pages).
    Ah, wondered about that. That sounds pretty reasonable - 60 A4 pages of content should easily cover a half-term's worth of work, the idea is to make smaller textbooks that are no bother to haul around. Something like the old SMP Maths books strikes me as about the right size.

Do any publishers sell content as PDFs for printing in this manner, does anyone know?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    We have a OCE' CS163 Océ CS163 Entry-level multifunctional color printer with an extensive array of options to match office customer needs that does prity much everything except make the tea, but it ain't cheap to run. Not my choice may I add but they liked the look of it (and I mean the astectics)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also, meant to say, remember to take colour copy costs into account. They can vary from 8p per sheet (a4) (so a double sided a3 can cost 32p) down to 3p (so 12p per a3 double sided).

Thank Post
    We have a RISO HC3R-HC5500 which i hate! whilst it does meet your requirements and look cool (tis 6foot long, has a touch screen interface) the quality is poor and the touch screen is pooh (pressing yes to a popup 16 times as it doesnt work means it will press it on the 15th attempt and the and then the reset button is under this and you reset all of your settings)

i call it the 6ft long k9 faeces!

on a lighter note we have just signed a contract with infotec(ricoh) for our curriculum printers and the quality of them is excelent, and they are in essence photocopiers without the finishers attached.

Also, meant to say, remember to take colour copy costs into account. They can vary from 8p per sheet (a4) (so a double sided a3 can cost 32p) down to 3p (so 12p per a3 double sided).
    the cost of our printers will be 0.0051 mono and 0.042 colour
    Last edited by gibbo_ap; 18th June 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    We have a RISO HC3R-HC5500 which i hate! whilst it does meet your requirements and look cool (tis 6foot long, has a touch screen interface) the quality is poor and the touch screen is pooh (pressing yes to a popup 16 times as it doesnt work means it will press it on the 15th attempt and the and then the reset button is under this and you reset all of your settings)

i call it the 6ft long k9 faeces!

on a lighter note we have just signed a contract with infotec(ricoh) for our curriculum printers and the quality of them is excelent, and they are in essence photocopiers without the finishers attached.
    Can I just point out that the HC5500 is *not* a copier. It is a high speed, low cost duplicator. It is not supposed to be high quality, as it is aimed at producing cheap colour documents rather than magazine quality copies. This is reflected in click charges (2p per colour copy on a HC5500, see above for copier costs). The machine can do 120 pages per minute though...

Thank Post
    We use an Océ 2090, great machine. It does 85 ppm and can make A4 (out of A3) and A5 (out of A4) booklets. It is a monochrome machine...

It also has a lot of other functions like queueing copy-jobs, scanning, archiving etc.
    It's pretty cheap to run, IF you use it alot (we do about 1 milion copies/prints per year on this machine for a school with 840 students... )

Thank Post
    So production costs are maybe around £5 for a 60-page A4 booklet. That's pretty reasonable.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, more thoughts on this...

One of the advantages of traditional textbooks is that they last quite some time. 5 years is not unreasonable a life expectancy. If you're photocopying booklets, how long would you expect them to survive? I wouldn't expect such a booklet to survive a year. So, £5 for a booklet might not sound bad, but compare it to the price of a normal textbook, and the costs of having to replace damaged ones etc... and i think the textbooks become more realistically priced.

Thank Post
    We have a photocopier with the functionality that can/could be networked, but given that it's in near-constant use most of the day for photocopying duties, giving people the option to print to it may lead to blood on the walls.

Thank Post
    It will spend more time broken then working.. and Tech support will be out on site 95% of the time..

well the one in the last school i worked for was.. lol..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast