+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP CLJ 3600n Problems in Technical; Really annoying problem this one: This only started a couple of weeks ago. Whenever students click print to either 3 ...
    Thank Post

HP CLJ 3600n Problems

Really annoying problem this one:

This only started a couple of weeks ago. Whenever students click print to either 3 of our HP CLJ 3600n printers (through our 64bit terminal servers) you get "Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup" or "No printers are installed" if you click ok sometimes you get a setup default printer, you can then select the mapped printer, but it will then only print out a PCL XL Error.

Errors: Subsystem: Kernal, Error: Illegaltag, Operator: 0x80, Position: 3. Sometimes the error is MissingData or IllegalDataValue

After extensive testing:

Reinstalled the printers.
    Updated Drivers.
    Tried old drivers.
    Hosted it on a different 32bit server.
    Removed the 64 bit driver from server properties.
    Installed new 64bit driver.
    Disabled advanced printing.
    Changed printer settings to bypass spool and print directly to the printer.
    Checked and confirmed that this occurs with all users (inc admins), through 64bit servers.
    Hosted the printer from the 64bit terminal server - selected it locally when printing - this works!

The problem is now only occuring when printing from 2 out of our 3 64bit Terminal servers via our 32bit Server 2003 print server now which the students use. Not sure what else to try now.

Help!

Thanks
    Jenny

Thank Post
    ...more development on the problem. It's just Microsoft Office products (both 2003 and 2007)that refuse to print, tested on wordpad and other programs and they print fine. Have got all Microsoft Office updates still no joy .... agghh....

Thank Post
    did you ever figure this out? We are having the exact same problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpearcy00 View Post
    did you ever figure this out? We are having the exact same problem.
    No not yet, have just been discussing it with our thin client support. We have actually got round the problem for a temporary period by just hosting Office products from 1 terminal server that works. This can't be a permanent solution though. I've also found it's not just the CLJ3600.

I'm pretty sure that an Office or Windows update has caused the problem because nothing else has changed on them.

If you find anything out, please share it! I will keep this thread up to date too if I solve it.

Thank Post
    Not sure if this information will help you, but the HP 3600N printer is a "host based" printer, which in short means it is not intended for server based shared printing. I am sure this is the reason why you are having such trouble.

I have been hunting around trying to find a solution to a customers problem, (problem being the software program that I support closes immediately when user selects to print). I have learned a little about this printer while trying to find a solution to this problem. (check out HP forum for more detailed info about this host based printer - its an education!)

Have a great day and I hope you resolve your issues!

...if anyone has any ideas about my problem, any input would be appreciated!

Thank Post
    I had the same problem but on a server 2003 box, with an HP 2600n!! I contacted HP support to be told that the printer does not support being shared on a server over a network

Thank Post
    I have now solved this problem, I think the driver files on the terminal servers had got corrupted or somehow updated wrongly. I replaced all the driver files beneath C:\Windows\System32\SPOOL\Drivers from our working terminal server over to the two non-working terminal servers, and this sorted the problems.

I do agree with you though (Beauduy) that I don't think it's helped that the Laserjet 3600n printers are host based. I too have read through all of the posts on the HP forum. The HP2600n are ok for a single user, but that's it, it doesn't support 64bit so we had to move them out of our classrooms.

Thank Post
    hi people we have HP 3600n printers on our network. we had to migrate our print servers onto another server. everything went well, but now when you print out in lack and white it prints out with a black background and white writing. i have tried updating the print drivers but still no joy

Thank Post
    THis is apparently a driver issue, have a read of this on the HP forums, someone has solved this issue:

Business support forums - 3600n printing white-on-black

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdibsdale View Post
    THis is apparently a driver issue, have a read of this on the HP forums, someone has solved this issue:

Business support forums - 3600n printing white-on-black
    yeah i have already tried this one. this is why i am puzzled

Thank Post
    We have a few 2600n's running off our 2003 print server. Trick is to disable "Bidirectional Support", otherwise they won't print anything.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread