+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Old Projectors in Technical; What can I do with several old Epson projectors? They do work, but not very well (very dim and yucky) ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts

Old Projectors

What can I do with several old Epson projectors? They do work, but not very well (very dim and yucky) and I really need to get rid of them, preferably at no cost to the school.
    All ideas welcome!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    What can I do with several old Epson projectors?
    How many projectors, what model number(s), what resolution are they? Is their dimness / yukiness simply due to the bulbs being worn out - how much are the bulbs to replace for that model?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Are there any local WEE recycling centers near that you can use. Our team uses a local guy based out of Preston who comes and collects wonder if there is something local to where you are

Thank Post
    I've literally this moment decided that instead of lending a projector to a retired (he keeps popping up like the proverbial bad penny) teacher for an event in his village hall, that I would GIVE them an old projector in a similar condition to those described. I will give them a letter saying "don't try to re-lamp, don't bring it back if it doesn't work, and must be WEEEd at the end of it's useful life". I will also keep a note of the serial number in case it turns up in landfill!

Thank Post
    Oops - they are Sanyos, it seems
    There are 6 of them
    Model number Pro-X SVGA PCLSW35
    Bulbs are about £200 each but in my estimation, it isn't the bulb causing the dimness, but probably the yellowing of the lens which happens over time

Thank Post
    We can get them WEEEd locally but it will cost us so I was hoping for another solution!!

Thank Post
    Oops - they are Sanyos, it seems
    There are 6 of them
    Model number Pro-X SVGA PCLSW35
    Bulbs are about £200 each but in my estimation, it isn't the bulb causing the dimness, but probably the yellowing of the lens which happens over time
    We have these, its the LCD unit itself that gets burnt, due mainly to teachers using no show.

NEVER LET TEACHERS USE NO SHOW! Damn promethean instructors, why did they show this projector killing "feature" to the teachers. </rant pet hate>

Thank Post
    hi I have refurb'd a few of those by giving them a good blow out with compressed air and removing the colour correction film from the 3 lens's in front of the lcd screens the glue that sticks the colour correction film on to the lens discolours with the heat once removed they look much brighter but the colour is sligtly out hard to notice when watching dvds but you can tell with a white backgound in active primary If you want rid of them I might be able to pay for the postage and as I could use them as spares for the Primary Schools I work at ?

9. Thanks to alextreadwell from:

dhicks (16th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Im happy to collect all of them from you, anytime.
    Last edited by tomm; 16th June 2009 at 01:22 PM.

Thank Post
    in my estimation, it isn't the bulb causing the dimness, but probably the yellowing of the lens which happens over time
    Could you adjust the colour output of the connected computer to adjust for the extra yellowness? Is it possible to clean fogged / yellowed / cloudy projector lenses? How much would it cost you to shove the lot in a box and post them to Hampshire? I can ask our Bursar if we might be interested (i.e. pay postage costs), and we could potentially set the Trusty Assistant to work on them over the summer to see if we can sort them out.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    How is the no show function killing projectors? Obviously if it were used all the time in place of turning it off, that would hurt, but does it do any harm if used for a minute or so?

Thank Post
    Postage would be quite a lot as they are very heavy - not cost effective, I wouldn't have said.
    I also forgot to say that I don't think the filters were cleaned, ever, so this probably hasn't helped much
    I don't need them mended as the head has got me some lovely filterless NECs.

Thank Post
    @witch - there are loads of free WEEE recycling companies out there, so I'd have a look for one in your area, could save yourself a fortune as it sounds like you're paying for your collections at present.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    How is the no show function killing projectors? Obviously if it were used all the time in place of turning it off, that would hurt, but does it do any harm if used for a minute or so?
    Its left on for extended periods, never for the 30 seconds it was designed for. I have known teachers to leave it on no show for an hour or more.

It damages it by literally burning the LCD layer, it over heats and it starts to degrade.

Thank Post
    Have you tried your local Freecycle group? If you google [your area] Freecycle you'll probably find there's one to join, and then you can offer the projectors and request other stuff you might want. People will come and collect, and you'd be amazed at what people will take from you (and what they'll offer too). I got rid of a load of OHPs that way.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast