+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Server room size in Technical; I dont imagine there is anything set in stone, but what's the minimum size of a server room? Im not ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Server room size

I dont imagine there is anything set in stone, but what's the minimum size of a server room? Im not thinking legally, thinking more circulation and what not. This is 2 servers, 1 imimic and 2 UPS's.

Link2ICT guy nearly fell over when he felt the heat of my cupboard. My buildings manager has her thinking cap on at the moment trying to think if there is a corner somewhere we can turn into a little room...

Thank Post
    Hi Little-Miss

I take it your server room currently does not have aircon. I wonder if this would be the easier solution although it does not give you much flexibility for the future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is physically no room in there for air con! Some idiot suggested the servers were moved in there before i arrived. It's basically a cupboard under the stairs thats in the ICT Suite that contains our master cab (!) and the servers, no room for anything else.

BUT...That maybe something to think about if i put the back where they came from. That was a narrow store room, but it has an external wall. May suggest that tomorrow!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    It's a mixed bag really. There aren't really any requirements as such for a server room, however if you're full time (and by the sounds of things you are), you are entitled to a comfortable working environment just like anyone else. Remember you don't need to be physically located in the same area as your servers. This is where Remote Desktop is extremely useful

If the room is extremely warm then some form of air conditioning is recommended. Whatever you do though, don't buy a cheap portable unit that requires a tank emptying. Get something properly wall mounted which pumps any water outside (directly onto a flat roof for example).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Know any good air conditioning companies Mikey (lol sorry!) Or anybody in the west midlands?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    You could look at recommended Birmingham suppliers, or take a look in Yellow pages. Be sure to get a few quotes as in my experience it varies considerably

TNE
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Know any good air conditioning companies Mikey (lol sorry!) Or anybody in the west midlands?
    There is a company moving into the unit next door to us in Birmingham. I cant recommend them as I don't know them but they are local and if you want the number ill get it tomorrow or ask them to give you a call.

Thank Post
    My server room / office is about the size of a small bedroom.
    Its got 4 servers, wall mounted coms cab, me & my junk and aircon.

It was really cheap to kit out just cost a bit to get all the network cables re-routed to the new room.

Your welcome to come and see it if you want.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No distinct answer as such but the more volure the better. This means that there is more air to work with and more time if the AC fails. There meeds to be enough room to set up a good air current so If your servers are rack mounted or on a table (high enough to avoid water) ther is enough space above them for the ho air to rise and be dealt with (1 meter absolute minimum but the higher the better). Depending on teh enviroment you may also want a well sealed door so that all of the nice cold air does not leak into the hallway instead of cooling the servers. You do not want your servers directly under the AC incase it freezes up and starts raining water on them either. The AC peopel will need room to get to the unit for servicing/repair aswell which adds the need for a bit more space also.

From a practical standpoint the room must be big enough to fit the physical servers comfortably - there must be enough room to safely pick them up and possibly turn them over/do work on them unless they are to be moved every time anything physical needs to be done on them. With many servers there are actual hard limits on how close their fans can be to a wall etc and you want the room to get behind them and possibly depending on the server swap out a hotswap PSU or reconnect cables. A lot of this stuff is kind of dictated by work safety stuff as they frown on people busting their backs due to lifting in a confined space or having to squeeze beside a server to get to some cables while it is still running.

PEO
    Thank Post
    the heat must be of the scale!!

I would play the data integrety card

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I plan to if we're going to fork out on a Air con unit....basically, its not coming out of my budget!!

I'd kill for a rack mounted setup right now. I've never thought about the fact that i cant get to the backs of them easily, i'm just one of those daft people that grins and bears it but thats a damn good point! I shouldnt have to!

Thank Post
    what's the minimum size of a server room?
    What was the name of that company who were advertising an all-in-one air-conditioned cabinet solution? It was designed to look like a traditional office cupboard rather than A Server Rack and came complete with air-conditioning (I think). Kept sound in too, it was meant for small offices that don't have separate space to put a traditional style server cabinet and don't want their offices looking (or sounding) like a server room. They ran full-page back-of-magazine ads on Computing or something for months, I think.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    As synack mentioned for a server room with a rack, you can need quite a big room. When you start putting really big things in (blade centres, 5000KV UPS+) you will ideally need:

Room to stand behind rack - Rack - Room for extended rail - Room for server infront of Rails.

Potentially if it's a difficult item to fit, you could well need 4 meters or so of depth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Woah, Rack right out the window then!!

dhicks do try to remember!!! Bet it's expensive, but i'd like a look!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    What was the name of that company who were advertising an all-in-one air-conditioned cabinet solution? It was designed to look like a traditional office cupboard rather than A Server Rack and came complete with air-conditioning (I think). Kept sound in too, it was meant for small offices that don't have separate space to put a traditional style server cabinet and don't want their offices looking (or sounding) like a server room. They ran full-page back-of-magazine ads on Computing or something for months, I think.
    dhicks do try to remember!!! Bet it's expensive, but i'd like a look!
    I'd hazard a guess that it was probably Kell Systems Kell Systems - Acoustic Server Cabinets

They look good, but they also look expensive - I always think the lack of any price info on a website is ominous!!

Hope this helps though.

16. 2 Thanks to crc-ict:

dhicks (9th June 2009), PEO (10th June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast