+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 networking woes in Technical; Don't worry, I'm not even playing with the console let alone the shell! Just looked into it once when I ...
    Thank Post
    Don't worry, I'm not even playing with the console let alone the shell! Just looked into it once when I ran into some problems during the initial setup. We ended up doing a factory reset from the BUI and all has been good since then.

Thank Post
    I had exactly the same problem as Butuz with the LACP aggregation. I ended up figuring out the destroy / create stuff on the command line to get it back up. The thing is that whenever I try selecting LACP aggregation and applying it, I get the message "The active destination <IP> is not part of the new network configuration." I went ahead anyway and the console said the link had the correct IP but I had no connectivity.

Am I missing something with that error message, or is it more likely that the switch is giving me problems?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Can't stress that enough; Sun mentioned a customer of theirs who'd had trouble which turned out to have stemmed from this and as Ric says it is all logged.

Whilst on the subject of the kit, the Discovery Day was fantastic with loads of useful information on these beauties with a bright road map ahead. Be excited, I was
    I heard that story today as well as the discovery day (I was at the Manchester one). Very worthwhile, and informative. Great to also meet Phil an excellent and very knoledgable chap along with the rest of the team from Sun, so thanks to them all. And remember they know everything you do in the shell so behave!!!!

Thank Post
    Currently my network config page looks like this:

Interfaces: IPv4 static, 10.4.*.*/22, via aggr1

Datalinks: via nge0, nge1, nge2, nge3

but only two of the ports on the switch are part of the trunk, when I make the other two ports on the switch part of the trunk I loose the SAN connection.

Where am I going wrong?

I'm not quite sure i've got my head aroung the relationship between interfaces and datalinks. I'd like all four network connections to be seen as the same IP and connected to the switch via a LACP trunk.

Thank Post
    Can someone familiar with HP switches suggest why LACP appears disabled in the status field, I’m pretty sure I’ve used the correct command to set the ports and if I unset it I loose the SAN. It appears to work but shows disabled in the LACP Status column but it also shows LACP in the type column.

The command I issued was:

Code:
    2910(config)# trunk ethernet 1-2 trk1 lacp
    Image of switch config here:

Thank Post
    Question: To those of you who are making a single 4Gb trunk, do you find you really need that bandwidth and is your network really supplying enough data to maximise it? I would have thought you would have had bottlenecks elsewhere unless the SAN is just talking to servers that have a lot of NICs.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the BUI can put out quite a bit of traffic itself when you're doing a lot of analysis, would it not be better to have a 1Gb link dedicated for the BUI on one IP address that you know will always be available and a 3Gb link for data?

Final question - assuming some of you are using the SAN for virtualisation, shouldn't you have a separate connection on the NIC for NFS/iSCSI/VMotion traffic on a different VLAN/IP range?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how I'm going to hook mine up.

Chris

Thank Post
    A good question about the link for VMotion will that require a dedicated link? I was going to have two connections trunked on a private network just to talk to the servers but I assumed that could be used for VMotion and so on.

I might have the BUI on it's own IP as well at least for now as currently when I mess with the trunk I occasionally loose the SAN

Thank Post
    Yes that's what I am trying to work out now - the best way of connecting it all.

As far as the connection from the 7110 to the Core Switch - It will be a 4GB trunk on it's own "SAN" VLAN.

Each ESX Server will then have a 2GB Trunk to the SAN Vlan for NFS, and a 2GB trunk out on to the Curriculum/Admin VLAN for VMs.

Butuz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Butuz; 11th June 2009 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Can someone familiar with HP switches suggest why LACP appears disabled in the status field,
    My Switch does not show Trunk Status in the Web interface, I have to use a hyper terminal connection on mine to configure trunking. Your set up looks to be the same as mine though.

I do not have flow control enabled on the trunk ports - don't know if that makes a difference?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    A good question about the link for VMotion will that require a dedicated link? I was going to have two connections trunked on a private network just to talk to the servers but I assumed that could be used for VMotion and so on.
    I think you'd be fine using the same private network that the servers are on, the main thing is to have your VMkernel traffic separate from your public network traffic, e.g. if you were using the SAN for CIFS direct to your users then make sure it's on a separate network, particularly as someone mentioned that VMotion copies the server memory across in plaintext.

I'm thinking - 1x 1Gb for the BUI, 1x 1Gb for iSCSI/NFS to ESX, 2x 1Gb for CIFS to all our users (roaming profiles and documents, very large resources, etc). If I find that CIFS traffic is lower than I expected then I can give the virtualisation feed 2Gb instead.

Anyone know how much an extra 4x 1Gb copper NIC costs? I assume it's just a generic PCIe card but that you need to buy it from Sun.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Deffo buy it from SUN. Have a word with Andy at Cutter maybe he can help with pricing.

X7280A-2 Sun PCIe Dual Gigabit Ethernet UTP Low Profile Adapter, RoHS-6 Compliant 210.00

X4446A-Z Sun x4 PCIe Quad Gigabit Ethernet Low Profile Adapter for Rack Servers, RoHS-6 Compliant 440.00

I am also starting to think the in built 4 ports may not be enough!

May be worth you looking at 10GBe Duke - would probably be alot better with regards to future proofing.

Butuz
    Last edited by Butuz; 11th June 2009 at 10:15 AM.

12. Thanks to Butuz from:

Duke (11th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Expensive but not unreasonable.

My 7410 isn't even in production use and I haven't maxed out 1Gb yet so I'm probably planning too far ahead, but it's always good to have an idea of what I'm going to need long-term. Might as well see if I can get a discount on buying an extra NIC with the next 7410...

EDIT: Don't tempt me with 10Gb!

Chris

Thank Post
    I've ended up adding a quad port gigabit NIC to our 7110 so that I had more ports to play with to separate off for different tasks. Do make sure you get a Sun NIC though. After speaking to Phil it seems that in the worst case Sun can turn around and void your warranty for using third-party hardware. You do get one of those disposable anti-static bands however

Was nice and easy to install as well. Simply stick it in the correct slot (there's guidelines for which slots should be filled depending on what your doing to spread load across different IO controllers etc), switch the box back on and it's detected and appears in the BUI straight away

Thank Post
    From your diagram Butuz am I right in thinking that all of your SAN ports will be on a private network so you won't have any CIFS shares?

Also i've read that jumbo frames are a must on ports to the SAN carrying traffic for your VM's but what about Flow Control should that be on as well?
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 11th June 2009 at 12:40 PM.

Thank Post
    This is driving me mad i've configured Card0 to be on my network so I can manage the box for now and this was working fine, I then configured Cards 2-4 into a trunk on a private range. After that I cannot contact the box untill I change my IP to the private range and connect to the trunked IP, I can however still ping the public IP. Both connections are configured to allow administration.

Can anyone shed any light on where i'm configuring thjis wrong?

Switch config

SAN Card config

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast