+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 networking woes in Technical; Originally Posted by cookie_monster I can't get into the BUI at all which is part of the problem and the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I can't get into the BUI at all which is part of the problem and the SP won't let me reset the networking, I can login to the SP but when I run the 'configuration net interfaces' command that you posted it says I don't have the necessary rights.
    I think you've broken your box more than I ever did!

Have you deleted all your datalinks/devices/interfaces and started again? - you get to use the 'destroy' command for this

Thank Post
    No I haven't can I perform the destroy from the SP? What's the command?

As far as I can tell all I did was change the IP address and it said configuring networking but then never came back, it's not on the IP I specified or the one in DHCP

Thank Post
    Haha glad someone else is also "learning through breaking"

I had my 7110 up and running on the curriculum network, gave it a static IP address for Eth0, and all was working shweet - even got a ESX box to talk to it via NFS and moved a test VM onto it and it was all working.

Then I had the bad idea of trying to imrove things, trunk 4 connections I changed eth 0 thru eth 4 to aggregation and when i committed it it sat there and did nothing. Then I couldn't ping eth0's IP address, then my test VM dropped off the network, and the NFS storage pool dropped out of ESX.

So now the box seems to be totally uncontactable. I can CLI in through the service console, and I've managed to use the CLI to view the connections etc, but I don't know what to do to get rid of the port aggregation and get it back to just eth0 on its own.

Rick suggested the destroy command but I don't like the sound of that! i want to fix not destroy!

Any ideas? It's weird as the CLI shows eth0 as up, the switch shows the connection as up, but i cant ping it or get to the graphical interface now

Butuz

Thank Post
    No I haven't can I perform the destroy from the SP? What's the command?

As far as I can tell all I did was change the IP address and it said configuring networking but then never came back, it's not on the IP I specified or the one in DHCP
    The SP allows you access to the local terminal by typing 'start /SP/console' (case sensitive). Although not technically supported by SUN, you could achieve the same thing by plugging in a keyboard and monitor.

By going to the local terminal like this, you bypass any IP address that the interfaces may or may not have.

The SP on Sun boxes is rather powerful and means you rarely need to pay them a visit.

Thank Post
    I'm currently waiting for a callback from Sun as I can't view anything in the SP, I can login to the SP but when I try to issue commands it tells me I don't have the rights to admin the box but I 'm using the same password that I was using for the BUI.

Thank Post
    Ric - how does one go about destroying the current network connections? And more importantly - how does one go about re-creating them!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Check the network switch has the latest firmware, there are problems with some switch firmware and link aggregation with the Sun boxes. Also, on the switch try setting up a passive trunk for the ports you are using.

8. Thanks to teejay from:

Butuz (9th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Yay managed to sort it - on the HP Procurve the trunk was not set to LACP mode

Working now with a nice 4GB trunk!!!

Butuz

Thank Post
    I'm currently waiting for a callback from Sun as I can't view anything in the SP, I can login to the SP but when I try to issue commands it tells me I don't have the rights to admin the box but I 'm using the same password that I was using for the BUI.
    It's completely unsupported, but I think that once you've logged in you can get root shell access (use Google if you want to find out how) that will give you full control of the box. However at that point you don't get any of the 'nice' commands and are literally at a basic Solaris prompt. Disclaimer - Use at your own risk!

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    Working now with a nice 4GB trunk!!!
    What are most people doing on the trunking front? For testing I just have a single 1Gb feed going to it, but I'll obviously want more bandwidth in the future. For those of you using the box for virtualisation and to serve files to users, how are you separating the iSCSI/NFS traffic from the CIFS users traffic? 2x 2Gb trunks? 2Gb trunk for iSCSI/NFS and two 1Gb feeds for other data? 2Gb for CIFS users?

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Hmmm mine says "dynamic lacp cannot be activated on a manual trunk port" when I try to set that on mine, i'm wondering if my issue is similar.

Thank Post
    What's the advantage of LACP mode over a card team other than the ability to use more than two connections?

Thank Post
    What's the advantage of LACP mode over a card team other than the ability to use more than two connections?
    Its the same thing as teaming however with LACP both the switch and the remote note i.e. teamed server will load balance depending how much traffic is moving through it. There are some types of teaming i.e. ALB (adaptive load balancing which does the cleaver stuff at the server but the switch just treats it as normal 2 x 1Gb connection i.e. the switch is not doing load balancing or dynamically adjusting the traffic where as with LACP it does this dynamically and also other protocols are supported.

Ash.

Thank Post
    @Duke: DO NOT drop to the Solaris shell - it is all logged and it will invalidate your warranty.

@cookie_monster: The SP password is not necessarily the same as your BUI password - try logging in to the SP web interface (defaults are root/changeme).

15. 2 Thanks to Ric_:

cookie_monster (10th June 2009), kmount (10th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Right it turns out that agregation wasn't configured correctly on the switch, a bit of fiddling in the CLI and it's sorted and I can log into the SP now as well

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    DO NOT drop to the Solaris shell - it is all logged and it will invalidate your warranty.
    Can't stress that enough; Sun mentioned a customer of theirs who'd had trouble which turned out to have stemmed from this and as Ric says it is all logged.

Whilst on the subject of the kit, the Discovery Day was fantastic with loads of useful information on these beauties with a bright road map ahead. Be excited, I was

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast