+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Life Channel in Technical; HannahBanana Said ďcan you display a slideshow of images on a scene with lifechannel?Ē Yes you can but I strongly ...
    Thank Post
    HannahBanana Said ďcan you display a slideshow of images on a scene with lifechannel?Ē
    Yes you can but I strongly recommend you do not use a lot of jpg files but instead make video full of still images. There are two problems the first being the slideshow just swaps between the images without any decent transition. At least with a video you can put fancy transitions effects between the photos.

The second problem I didnít find out till it was too late to easily fix. There play list is very unfriendly. Moving items up and down I is a pain and slow. If you have 20photos and want to put a video before the 20 photos thatís over 20 mouse clicks and not fast clicks either its a web interface so click slow. While if the 20photos are in the format of one video its only 2 ish clicks to put another video in front.

The quality of the videos you get are top notch. There is a website you can download your choice of videos to upload.

The web interface is poor, there are key features missing like no random playlist button, no easy way to dowload content you have uploaded. But from an end user point of view the system is very good.

2. Thanks to Pottsey from:

Gatt (4th June 2009)

Thank Post
    thanks to someone creating another thread about life channel (although i dont know why they didnt comment on here) it has become apparent that life channel are now giving the content away free?

why are people being charged £8k a year for something you can freely download?

4. Thanks to HannahBanana from:

Gatt (4th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Itís not all free. You have the broadcast mini shows which they choose and change you cannot get those for free. You have the website where you have to be a TLC Schools members todown load short 1 to 5mins shows to uploaded to your box ,this used to be free but not sure if it still is. Basically its short content they created but is optional. Lastly you have your own content.

EDIT
    Donít forgot the 8k or what ever it is covers the TVís, PC(s), new TV shows, installation, cabling, software updates and pretty much everything else. There are no hidden charges at least I never found any its one fee for eveything. You can even send them your content and they will edit it and put it on the TV system.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 4th June 2009 at 03:29 PM.

Thank Post
    thats not what it looks like on the website... there is no mention of payment just the need to register...

my opinion being that if you can get free content from this website you can use it on any digital signage solution which may be better such as Navaho's MediaCAT that way you have more control over what is displayed and you can tailor it to your needs

Thank Post
    For 2 PC boxes, 3 screens over 3 years we were charged £15k.

Rip off in my opinion!

8. Thanks to bodminman from:

Gatt (4th June 2009)

Thank Post
    It depends on time. You could use the websites and a free or cheaper system but that requires a lot more time. The website only has a small collection of shows and most are very short only a few minutes long. You no longer get school content made for you either.

What I like about the lifechannel is if I am busy for a few months the shows change and people don’t get bored with the same old content all day every day. Then when I am less busy I can work on and upload new school content. That and the shows in-between the school content are constantly changing making a few more intresting playlist.

It all comes down to do you want to create a lot of content in-house and regularly create new content. Or do you want content made for you.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 4th June 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    It depends on time. You could use the websites and a free or cheaper system but that requires a lot more time. The website only has a small collection of shows and most are very short only a few minutes long. You no longer get school content made for you either.

What I like about the lifechannel is if I am busy for a few months the shows change and people donít get bored with the same old content all day every day. Then when I am less busy I can work on and upload new school content. That and the shows in-between the school content are constantly changing making a few more intresting playlist.

It all comes down to do you want to create a lot of content in-house and regularly create new content. Or do you want content made for you.
    i would prefer to have content specific to the school i was in, use a system that is so easy to use that the teachers can upload content and create pages themselves with passwords given by the administrator to control their access levels. that way there is less pressure on IT and the teachers get what they want too without bugging IT

Thank Post
    We don't have it but after talking to local schools here who do they don't speak to highly about it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We don't have it but after talking to local schools here who do they don't speak to highly about it!
    at the prices they are charging im not surprised!
    Navaho's MediaCAT is coming up far better in terms of value for money and technology!

Thank Post
    Has anyone any experience/views re. Hydravision? Hydravision.tv - All in One Digital Signage.

Thank Post
    HannahBanana said ďat the prices they are charging im not surprised! ď
    The prices they are charging are cheap for what you get. If you compare there system to similar systems that offer the same amount of content I bit the price is one of if not the cheapest.

With the other cheaper systems it doesnít always work out cheaper as you then have to pay someone full time to make content for it or have a system thatís not updated often as someone is just doing it in their spare time.

It seems to me people are comparing there system with regular content to other systems without content and going look how expensive they are.

Thank Post
    Navaho's MediaCAT offers an easy to manage, real-time Electronic Notice/Message Board/Digital Signage solution featuring a complete design & content system. A one-off fee with no minimum contracts involved.

http://www.navaho.tv/applications/education.html

From experience, we have found that our educational customers prefer the flexibility of designing, creating and uploading their own content as and when required and therefore the MediaCAT's "scenes" feature provides the perfect solution for them.

However, from reading through this thread, it appears that some of you are keen to have content provided as a service for you and a system that is managed on your behalf. Is this the case - we would really appreciate some feedback from this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12