+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Server recommendation in Technical; Hi everyone, I have been asked to look into a server for our ICT Suite. We would need something capable ...

Thank Post

Server recommendation

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to look into a server for our ICT Suite. We would need something capable of handling 20 XP Pro workstations to start with, but needs room for expansion should we choose to relocate and run more workstations from it. It would be running as a domain controller/active directory & File sharing (100 users with about 5GB per user) server. I was thinking something like the HP ML310 or ML350. Does anyone have any recommendations? Bearing in mind we are on a tight budget and a tower would be preferred.

Many thanks in advance, James.

Thank Post
    ML 350 would be a good bet i would thought, HP seem to be bouncing around some deals on the G6 at the moment so if you ask about you might get some good prices.

Thank Post
    Don't forget to check out the kit at ICT Direct (see ICT Direct - computer hardware for ict in education - primary, secondary, special needs schools and colleges ) - they have excellent kit that will more than suit your requirements.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd second ICT Direct too, especially if you are on a budget.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Thirded for ICT Direct - www.ict-direct.co.uk

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,823 Posts
    I have the same issue although I am looking for something a bit gutsier - same issues apply re domain controller, active directory, file sharing etc but we have about 150 clients and will be expanding soon - so we are looking for a bit of future proofing.
    I have been quoted for this: HP ML350 Server - Xeon E5420 (2500/1333-2x6MB) Quad Core Processor, 2GB Ram, 4 x 250GB Hard Drives (Raid 5 With Spare)
    £1700 (not from an edugeek sponsor) but I don't have any idea if this is the right thing or price for me - any advice?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I have the same issue although I am looking for something a bit gutsier - same issues apply re domain controller, active directory, file sharing etc but we have about 150 clients and will be expanding soon - so we are looking for a bit of future proofing.
    I have been quoted for this: HP ML350 Server - Xeon E5420 (2500/1333-2x6MB) Quad Core Processor, 2GB Ram, 4 x 250GB Hard Drives (Raid 5 With Spare)
    £1700 (not from an edugeek sponsor) but I don't have any idea if this is the right thing or price for me - any advice?
    can beat that price for you hun just let me know

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @witch - By clients do you mean workstations or users. I have had an older ML350 with dual 3.2GHz dual core xeons handle domain and shareing tasks for around 100 workstations and another identical one that handled exchange. but these did have propper RAID controllers at that time smartarray 641s with extra battery backed cache units.

If it is just for AD and file shareing then the primary thing that I would be concerned about is disk throughput as the system should handle AD without much hassle at all. Will it be running anny server based applications like database backed network applications?

For future proofing I would be looking at putting in a bit more ram as 2GB is about the minimum that you really want in a server and deffinatly a dedicated smartarry controller if it does not already include one.

Redundant PSUs are also a good bet for maximum reliability and continuity of service from a single server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    @witch - By clients do you mean workstations or users. I have had an older ML350 with dual 3.2GHz dual core xeons handle domain and shareing tasks for around 100 workstations and another identical one that handled exchange. but these did have propper RAID controllers at that time smartarray 641s with extra battery backed cache units.

If it is just for AD and file shareing then the primary thing that I would be concerned about is disk throughput as the system should handle AD without much hassle at all. Will it be running anny server based applications like database backed network applications?

For future proofing I would be looking at putting in a bit more ram as 2GB is about the minimum that you really want in a server and deffinatly a dedicated smartarry controller if it does not already include one.

Redundant PSUs are also a good bet for maximum reliability and continuity of service from a single server.
    I'd second that RAM is cheap may as well stick 4gb in, also worth paying a little more to get an onsite warranty as well with a good response time. If budget will allow i will always look at SAS instead of SATA, i have a ML350 running four 15000rpm SAS drives in a raid 5 which runs very nicely indeed but i'm aware of the price hike.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help with this guys, Tallwood_ 6 - what are the size of the drives in your RAID? I'm undecided over what RAID level to go with and how much (in GB) for each drive...

Thank Post
    146GB 3.5inch but its used for our MIS so storage requirements are low, infact i only really needed 72Gb. They do 300gb and 450gb 3.5 inch SAS as well, raid 5 would be the most practical raid level with a hot-spare if you can afford it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread