+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Failing Drive in Technical; I've got a failed / failing drive in a HP ML370 [ RAID 5 ] Now of course I want ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Failing Drive

I've got a failed / failing drive in a HP ML370 [ RAID 5 ]

Now of course I want to get this replaced ASAP - won't be till next week but do I aid on the side of caution and turn off the said server ? Or shall I risk leaving it on ?

Also my background has never been on HP kit but IBM - is replacing a drive as straight forward - pull the duff one and stick in the new one and it will re-build automatically ?

Thank Post
    If it's failed over to the spare disk in the array, then there's no problems with leaving it running - unless you're anticipating another disk dying, in which case... have fun with that

We didn't have much of a choice in whether we could turn our failed disk's array off when one of ours went, so it had to stay up while we waited for a replacement disk.

If it's something people really don't need for a few days, then by all means err on the side of caution and turn it off, otherwise, there's not a huge amount of risk in leaving it on (in my opinion)

Thank Post
    Well I've left it on [ and its currently taking a full backup as I write this ]
    Will remote in first thing Saturday to see if all is ok - the new disk should arrive Monday AM - now can anyone suggest the best way to re-build this on a Prolient ?
    Just hot swap or power off and then swap then power back on....Like I said my knowledge is with IBM stuff and with that I used to go into the RAID, stop the duff disk, stick in the new one then re-build it - on looking there is no option within the HP software to do this - in fact the software won't even show you the indivudual disks, just the array.....

Thank Post
    Im pretty sure you will need to reboot into the raid bios and initiate a rebuild from there.
    If its a hot swap drive you could insert then reboot, and the bios should find it and give the options to rebuild.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as it has a smart array controller then just hot swap the drive and it will build fine. Have done it doezens of times on different servers.

Oh and if you are in the windows acu software then "physical view" is the option to see individual disks.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th May 2009 at 05:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    As long as it has a smart array controller then just hot swap the drive and it will build fine. Have done it doezens of times on different servers.

Oh and if you are in the windows acu software then "physical view" is the option to see individual disks.
    Yeah, its a smart array - I'll just hot swap it - 72G should not take too long to re-build - I hope !!
    Just out of interest - whats the acu software ?

Thank Post
    Sok, found it - HP array configuration utility - thats installed, just can't see the drive - will look for the physical view option.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Sok, found it - HP array configuration utility - thats installed, just can't see the drive - will look for the physical view option.
    Yeap, thats the one. The physical View option should be near the top in the center beside the controller name. It shouldn't take to long to build a 72GB depending on your RAID configuration and the speed of the drives. Took about 30min on a really old smartarray card for me to swap in a 72gb 10k rpm SCSI drive. Rebuilds 146GB 15k SAS drives in about 10 minutes.

Thank Post
    Well after checking each drive under the physical status, they all show they are all fine - although one of them is flashing like it's going out of fashion on me. All I can think is the drive is flagging parity errors - I have to say I'm not impressed with the HP config utility at all.
    I've ordered a new one so that should arrive Monday - [ I hope as I have booked a few days off next week. ]
    Much prefer IBM servers......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    The HP software isn't that bad Matt, the flashing maybe that you are selecting a drive in the ACU and it flashes the drive / array your on / editing / selected etc so you know that those are the drives you are talking to to help you spot the dead one etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    The HP software isn't that bad Matt, the flashing maybe that you are selecting a drive in the ACU and it flashes the drive / array your on / editing / selected etc so you know that those are the drives you are talking to to help you spot the dead one etc
    The drive is flashing when the ACU software is not running. When you do run the ACU software and access the entire array then all the drives flash - [ most probably to indicate you are accessing the RAID / RAID Adapter ]
    On a re-boot of the server I also got a message stating [ when it detects the RAID ] that a drive was failed / failing. Just seems odd to me this is not indicated within the software.
    OK I'm quick to jump on the software as I am not that clued up on HP kit, this particular server was in place when I joined - since then every server thats been bought has been IBM !! Strange that the IBM kit I got [ 3 servers ] are all second hand & touch wood not a single failed drive - some of the servers are over 7 years old. This HP server was brand spanking new and the CD Rom packed up and now a failed drive.......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you got a message like that it sounds like the drive has a s.m.a.r.t. error on it which are not picked up by the ACU but are reported by the system managment homepage and the integrated log viewer instead. Honestly I do find this software behaviour stupid myself but technically the drive itself has not failed it just has a higher chance of failing.

I'm not sure that I can condone the hp hate though , I have not used their RAID software but I know that when I was looking at new servers the comparitive controllers were much lover speced on the IBM gear which was part of the reason I stuck with hp. Also a lot of drive manufacturers have been dropping the ball lately (Seagate) and statisticly the newer drives are probably much more likely to fail, whatever brand the host server is.

I am interested to know if the IBM controllers do give RAID integrated warnings of SMART errors as that would be a good thing and if they beef up their controllers in future lines I will take them more seriously the next time I'm getting servers.

Thank Post
    Replacement drive just turned up - did a hotswap and fingers crossed drive is now re-building - [ it's stopped flashing red, now flashing green ]
    I would have preferred to have stopped the drive first - [ like you can on the IBM kit ] but as this is not a feature on this software I couldn't !!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread