+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, HP LaserJet P2055DN's going offline and not responding in Technical; Originally Posted by Kermit Firmware date code 20090430. The above were both the latest available in September and I was ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post

Firmware date code 20090430.

The above were both the latest available in September and I was told by HP on the phone that the firmware would fix it as the issue was known to them. If you have a lot of networked printers to update then you can push the firmware out with HP Web Jetadmin. Touch wood no more problems to report
    All our printers are still running the firmware 20081124 and are still having issues.

I've been on HP's website recently and tried to download the latest firmware which it claims is the above 20090430 but when I actually download it the file itself is actually the 20081124 which we already have.

Wonder if they've removed the upgraded firmware for some reason. See link(s) below ? :-

HP LaserJet P2050 Printer series- HP LaserJet P2055dn/P2055x Firmware Update Utility - HP Business Support Center

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...tem=lj-72585-2

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    All our printers are still running the firmware 20081124 and are still having issues.

I've been on HP's website recently and tried to download the latest firmware which it claims is the above 20090430 but when I actually download it the file itself is actually the 20081124 which we already have.

Wonder if they've removed the upgraded firmware for some reason. See link(s) below ? :-

HP LaserJet P2050 Printer series- HP LaserJet P2055dn/P2055x Firmware Update Utility - HP Business Support Center

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...tem=lj-72585-2

To be honest I'm not 100% sure if I downloaded it from the website above, it might have been from the FTP site dasonix posted earlier The file in the Firmware Repository of my HP Web Jetadmin console is HP_LaserJet_P2055dn_20090430.rfu If you don't already use Jetadmin I'd install that and then use the 'Get Images' button under the Repository section to see if it will locate it for you.

Thank Post
    Just checked the FTP link posted previously but I didn't see the file mentioned unfortunately. Does anyone have the file or know where I can download it from as it looks like it might be the solution we've been looking for?

Thank Post
    Just checked the FTP link posted previously but I didn't see the file mentioned unfortunately. Does anyone have the file or know where I can download it from as it looks like it might be the solution we've been looking for?
    If you want to PM me on here with your e-mail adderss I can e-mail you the rfu file (only 8MB).

5. Thanks to Kermit from:

flyinghaggis (10th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the firmware update Kermit. I've upgraded the firmware on one of our P2055DN's to the latest version but it's still freezing on a regular daily basis unforutnately

Going to start throwing these P2055's into the skip if it carry's on like this. Time for another call to HP I reckon

Thank Post
    Thanks for the firmware update Kermit. I've upgraded the firmware on one of our P2055DN's to the latest version but it's still freezing on a regular daily basis unforutnately

Going to start throwing these P2055's into the skip if it carry's on like this. Time for another call to HP I reckon
    Well let me know how you get on with them, I'd certainly think twice about buying anymore after the problems we've had.

Thank Post
    Just noticed there's a new Firmware update available :-

HP LaserJet P2055dn/P2055x Firmware Update Utility
    Version: 20091203 (3 Dec 2009)

Gonna download and try it so will let everyone know if it makes a difference.

Thank Post
    Looks like the update is only currently available as a direct USB patch and can't be done remotely. I've applied it to the printer in our office so I'll report back to let you know if it makes a difference.

Fingers Crossed!

Thank Post
    Nope. Checked this morning and that's it dead again despite the new firmware.

FED UP WITH HP PRINTERS

They're all about to start falling out of warranty in March so I'm gonna give HP a call ..... again..... hopefully they'll be able to suggest something more helpful this time that resetting the printer back to factory default

And to top it off we've had to return another P3005 with a faulty memory formatter board They're about to fall out of warranty next month and out of the 8 on our site 2 have so far failed with the same error.

Have we been unlucky or is HPs quality control really this bad these days

Thank Post
    Had exactly the same issue.. rang HP and they acknowledged a problem! Currently working on a new firmware - was mean't to be available 1st March.. but nothing yet - rang them again and they said they will contact us when they have a fix... so hang tight!

Thank Post
    I don't have any 2055's out there but as previously posted this does sound remarkably like the same issue as the 2015's and the defective formatter PCBs....

This was a quality issue with the soldering of the SMD's and was partialy proven by the 20 minute 350 deg c oven bake trick!

I have eventually replaced all of my 2015 Formatter boards (out of warranty) at a cost of around 125 each and they have been as good as gold ever since.

Im just wondering if there is a connection here and the 2055's have the same issue?

Anyone willing to try and bake a 2055 formatter PCB?

Thank Post
    Hmm, can't say for sure if it's the formatter boards at fault. All I know is that when it's connected to our main network they seem to stop responding at least once a day requiring a reset to fix. So far they've only failed to respond when connected to our main network and haven't had the same issue when connected via USB or on a stand-alone mini-switch with just a laptop connected. When the printers stop responding (to ping) you can still use the controls on the printer so the issue would seem to lie with the onboard embedded jetdirect network card. I'd assume this is on the printer's main formatter board aswell though ?

Obviously this does point to it being somekind of traffic on our network that's causing these printers to fail. Mind you on the mini-switch only a single laptop was connected so it might be volume of traffic rather than a single packet which causes the fault. At the end of the day this problem only affects P2055s and none of the other dozen models (including many other HPs) so I'd think it unfair if HP simply blamed our network setup.

We've been in contact with HP but so far all they've done is to send us 2 replacement printers both of which have had the same fault We've already spent weeks tweaking the settigns on the original model (disabling protocols,enabling firewalls, and even just leaving it on the network without any print queue being assigned to it) so I'm not keen to spend time re-testing with this one unless HP volunteer that they've a possible fix for the issue!

Will post an update if HP offer us any updated firmware/etc but so far no success!

Thank Post
    Hey,
    We currently have 14 of these 2055 printers and all of them suffer from this problem. After an unknown length of time not being used they simply stop talking to the switch and seem to shut off their network cards.
    So very annoying. I plan to try the new firmware update but not got high hopes.

Thank Post
    Must admit it could be likely some sort of traffic/characterstic specific to your network. What kind of stuff do you have running on there? Are you running STP anywhere?

We have several on site that dont appear to be suceptible to this - how close to Manchester are you? It would be interesting to see if any of our "known good" 2055's behave on your network!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Must admit it could be likely some sort of traffic/characterstic specific to your network. What kind of stuff do you have running on there? Are you running STP anywhere?

We have several on site that dont appear to be suceptible to this - how close to Manchester are you? It would be interesting to see if any of our "known good" 2055's behave on your network!!
    Does seem likely it's something on our network but the timings of it seems so random so I've so far been unable to track it down to a specific setting/device. As mentioned it doesn't affect any of the other 60 printers on our network? The other weird things is that the firmware updates do make a differnce to the frequency of it happening. Some firmware revisions seem to make the printers die every few our whereas others might last a day or so but ultimately they all fail at least once every 48 hours.

I'm pretty sure we have Spanning tree protocol enabled on all our switches incidentally. Was there a specific reason you thought that might be causing the issue?
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 12th March 2010 at 12:07 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast