+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Portrait mode TFT's in Technical; Thought I'd throw this one out to folks as I'm sure someone has some experience of this and can help. ...
    Thank Post

Portrait mode TFT's

Thought I'd throw this one out to folks as I'm sure someone has some experience of this and can help.

I'm in the process of rationalising my multiscreen setup while I have some money and before the baby arrives to drain any hope of hardware upgrades, etc...

Part of what I'm rejigging things for is a return to PHP coding and one key thing that has been pointed out recently is the ability of a 22"+ TFT to provide code in much more efficient view if it's in the 90' rotated portrait mode rather than widescreen landscape.

I've had a quick look around and found the Samsung SM2343BW which is a 23" TFT with all I need but I'd like to shave some pound signs off the price if possible.
    ref: Samsung SM2343BW 23" TFT Monitor 2048x1152 20000:1 300cd/m2 5ms W/Mount H/Adjust VGA/DVI Black 3 Years Warranty - Ebuyer

Anyone able to provide any good referrals on screens that would do the job as well as provide good value?

Oh and if it's at all important, I use ATI PCI-E graphics cards on WinXP with 3 screens at present... 2x 17" L1730's and an L225WT (All LG models).

Thanks in advance for any help and input.

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

contink (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can really buy any 22" widescreen with a VESA mount (standard on almost all) and just get either a height adjust stand or a multimoniter stand with two or more VESA mounts on it. Then just use the drivers to rotate the screens. I'd pick out the moniters at the best price point and then look at seporate mounting hardware as the right multimoniter stand can give you back all of the desk space under the moniters as well along with being vastly more adjustable than the simply height boost stands.

Professional LCD multiple monitor display stands UK sales

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

contink (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Our PHP types here are using 22" Dell monitors in portrait mode. Not 100% sure of the model number (2209 maybe?) but they seem to be well priced & haven't had any complaints.

Ta,

Tim

7. Thanks to tim.dalton from:

contink (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    ^^^^ as per SYNACK's post.

9. Thanks to PeterW from:

contink (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Anything Samsung will do you fine

11. Thanks to john from:

contink (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You can really buy any 22" widescreen with a VESA mount (standard on almost all) and just get either a height adjust stand or a multimoniter stand with two or more VESA mounts on it. Then just use the drivers to rotate the screens. I'd pick out the moniters at the best price point and then look at seporate mounting hardware as the right multimoniter stand can give you back all of the desk space under the moniters as well along with being vastly more adjustable than the simply height boost stands.

Professional LCD multiple monitor display stands UK sales
    I really like the idea but the pricing on many of those mounts is really quite high when you consider that in a lot of cases you could get another 22" Samsung for the price of one stand. Can well understand the benefit of desk space recovery though.. quite tempting as a result

Found a few possible sites to ring round and ask about in the next few days... The site you linked to originally though was a waste of space.. Little or no information, wrong images for bracket types, etc... "How not to sell" I reckon

Thanks for the information all... Now I have to ask myself if I can afford to do any of this or not...

Thank Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice as I type this in portrait mode on my new Syncmaster 2343BW in portrait mode.

1152 x 2048 resolution really is something to behold when you want to read a forum thread.

I think I'll move to the multi-monitor stands in a year or so, when the money situation has clarified (assuming I still have any by then!)

Thank Post
    Actually the price on those multi stands is very very good in my oppinion. I've seen single monitor stands go for that kind of cash.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Actually the price on those multi stands is very very good in my oppinion. I've seen single monitor stands go for that kind of cash.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I think they're excellent given that they're not just bits of stamped metal.. The problem is that I already have five monitors (2 going to the other half now) but the portrait view budget is very slim so a Samsung is a great saver. Doesn't hurt that the resolution is 2048 x 1152 either... That's a LOT of virtual desktop.

It's already making debugging and coding so much easier.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Why not get two of these:
    Buy NEWlink LCD Monitor Arm - BlackNLTFTARM-183BLK from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware
    Mount them on your desk as you like and voilla.

I use them in the College, bolt them to the desk and fasten the TFT on to them and they look much better than loose TFTs, also keeps them out of the way so 600mm deep worktop will do the job and still have room for the text books (Idea credited to Badders as he used it at his school and I stole the idea when I moved on)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread