+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Anyone recommend a tough PC? in Technical; Hi everyone. As it's just been half-term we've taken a look at the running repairs we need to address here. ...
    Thank Post

Anyone recommend a tough PC?

Hi everyone. As it's just been half-term we've taken a look at the running repairs we need to address here. Our biggest problem is vandalism, mostly to keyboards and mice and the cases of the PCs. Mice and keyboards fair enough are vulnerable to yanking and stabbing and probing of all sorts, but it's the damage to the cases that causes the most worry as a removed drive blank tends to lead to the machine being fed bottles and crisps and drinks and biscuits. Which makes it grumpy.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as far as a 'tough' PC goes. Are there any manufacturers or distributors within school-budget (and not military contract) grasp who could supply us a year-8-with-a-biro proof PC or twenty? Does anyone have any models which seem to stand up well anyway?

Cheers in advance for any replies.

Thank Post
    One possibility, may be more work than you want...

CPC sell a rock-hard case with lockable front cover here . The beige one.

Blast, "End Of Line" but there is an alternative I've not seen, but is much cheaper!

Thank Post
    PC Chesham doesn't take any nonsense from the yobs in our town

Thank Post
    I've been trying to get the bursar to let me buy a couple of these as student loan machines. 20.1" Rugged Laptop Computer - Argon Corp Strangely, she is against the idea

Thank Post
    Best machine we've ever had from an anti-vandal point of view is the RM One. We don't like 'em but they don't get messed up like a lot of the others do. Trouble is they're damned expensive for what they are.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman View Post
    I've been trying to get the bursar to let me buy a couple of these as student loan machines. 20.1" Rugged Laptop Computer - Argon Corp Strangely, she is against the idea
    Try the Panasonic Toughbook 30 and maybe she'll change her mind

PEO
    Thank Post

this should do the job... small, portable, and can survive a nuclear attack when north Korea strikes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Best machine we've ever had from an anti-vandal point of view is the RM One. We don't like 'em but they don't get messed up like a lot of the others do. Trouble is they're damned expensive for what they are.
    Funny that 'cos we have a couple of rooms of RM Ones and they too suffer the least vandalism of any in the school. I do like 'em though but they are sooo expensive.

Thank Post
    Well that's two votes for the RM One then I guess

I did have a very strange problem on about three of them where a student shoved a piece of metal into the front usb port which created a short and stopped the pc booting. Aside from that we never ever get problems with them.

Thank Post
    Just a comment on RMones…

We don’t get much vandalism in the school – a few mice here and there and the 6th form have their fun with the PS2 pins.

However, we’ve got a room full of RMones and at least half of them now have completely useless USB ports; all physically damaged just by daily use.
    On a side note, they have also been technically inferior to our other PCs, with a higher percentage of hardware failures.

I certainly won’t be buying any more.

Thank Post
    i would recommend trying to get some senior staff to help you out and stop the behaviour of the kids, this will be a long and hard process but won't cost a penny. We have been doing this for the last year and has made so much difference it is un true. We have even billed parents when one of the pupils punched an lcd monitor and broke it but you will need support from deputy heads or even the head if possible. Once they realise there is a punishment for vandalism they soon stop especially if you take their internet access off them.

hard one to do but worth it hope it helps

Thank Post
    I did have a very strange problem on about three of them where a student shoved a piece of metal into the front usb port which created a short and stopped the pc booting.
    What's strange about that? If you short out ANY rail on the PSU it will fail in some way!

Thank Post
    True enough... I suppose it was strange that they'd managed to find pieces of metal the right size to poke in the port that you couldn't see unless you looked closely

Thank Post
    I did have a very strange problem on about three of them where a student shoved a piece of metal into the front usb port which created a short and stopped the pc booting.
    Er... how is that strange? You short it, it blows up
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 29th May 2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: runaway tinhat

Thank Post
    We dont really have tough pc's (we have dell and hp mainly) but previously in the past we had the problem of vandalism - when I first started one suite had wooden covers glued to the front on the case because some kids had smashed them all...

anyway the approach we took was caging the pc's under desks, some vertical others horizontal. TBH the cages aren't that well designed for people like us who may need to open them up etc, but they protect really well and out of about 200 pc's now cages not are vandalized at all. We had the cages custom made by Walton Designs Limited, Drawing boards, drawing desks, graphics, turnover drawing desk, art, art table, rack and pinion, desks, school furniture, school desks, stackable furniture, multimedia workbenches, low voltage power trunking, pect, pneumatics,

They also desk mounted the monitors which dont protect but make more space and looks neater. As far as keyboards and mice, i found the standard dell stuff fairly tough.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast