+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Projector VGA Out vs VGA Splitter in Technical; Something crossed my mind recently about why we don't utilise the "VGA Out" port on projectors. We use VGA splitters ...
    Thank Post

Projector VGA Out vs VGA Splitter

Something crossed my mind recently about why we don't utilise the "VGA Out" port on projectors. We use VGA splitters (as I am sure everyone else does) which creates more wired mess, occupies an additional plug socket (an problem where they're limited) and needs more VGA cables. I've noticed all our projectors come with a VGA Out port specifically for connecting an external display (such as a PC monitor) to output the same image like a splitter does.

I'm concerned why none of our installations have the VGA Out port wired up to the faceplate (like audio, vga in and composite do). Am I overlooking something? Why do we use splitters when the projectors have this functionality included?

We looked in to using VGA Y-cables (literally just a cable which splits into 2) but the signal quality was poor as there was no additional power (monitor and projector images where dim), so we dismissed this idea.

Surely it's cheaper to use this port than to buy splitters where needed (we're talking PCs, not laptops) and would be alot neater?

Thank Post
    i tend to find the return feed isnt often that good as its ben pased down so much cable the signal isnt as good as a splitter. The bestb solution i ever saw (apart from a dual head graphics card set to clone) was an internal video splitter used a floppy power connector and sat in a pci output (just the blanking plate area) you used a short lead from the video card to the splitter then ran one to projector and one to screen same as an external but with no extra power needed or desktop space and quite neat

havent seen one that works on 1/2 hight slots though

BJG
    Thank Post
    Would the VGA work if the projector was switched off though...? Would also need long VGA cables back from a ceiling-mounted projector to the desk, and splitters are relatively cheap after all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    The bestb solution i ever saw (apart from a dual head graphics card set to clone) was an internal video splitter used a floppy power connector and sat in a pci output (just the blanking plate area) you used a short lead from the video card to the splitter then ran one to projector and one to screen same as an external but with no extra power needed or desktop space and quite neat

havent seen one that works on 1/2 hight slots though
    All our machines are half-height and I can't see how 3 VGA ports would get on 1, unless it occupies multiple slots; still would be considering - what are these called?

Quote Originally Posted by BJG View Post
    Would the VGA work if the projector was switched off though...? Would also need long VGA cables back from a ceiling-mounted projector to the desk, and splitters are relatively cheap after all.
    I guess the projector would need to be on yes, however we do have some computers which are only used when a projector is in use, and these are the ones I was thinking of. When teachers don't want to project their image, they tend to just change source rather than power off/on, so that mostly wouldn't be a problem. Still a fair point though.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Duel output video cards are so cheap now thou, I personally think that's a better option instead of using a splitter. We have several of each in this school, and the ones run through the splitters are always a lower quality image than the ones run from duel output video cards.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BJG View Post
    turn the projector off and off goes the monitor on all the ones ive used yes

Thank Post
    The projector will need at least power, even if it's not actually running.

IMO the signal isn't anywhere near good enough for a permanent installation. We've started replacing with splitters (or our preferred solution, dual head cards) where possible, because the slight interference is causing headaches and other problems for teachers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread