+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Dell's new Latitude 2100 netbooks - with touchscreen and bespoke charging trolley! in Technical; I was very interested to read about Dell's latest Latitude 2100 netbooks on the Direct2Dell blog this morning. The tech ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts

Dell's new Latitude 2100 netbooks - with touchscreen and bespoke charging trolley!

I was very interested to read about Dell's latest Latitude 2100 netbooks on the Direct2Dell blog this morning.

The tech spec is fairly nice, particularly like the 802.11n option, but the surprises for me were ther touchscreen option, and the bespoe charging trolley:

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1N9UtEZW[/nomedia]

The touchscreen in particular surprised me not because it exists, but that it has arrived this soon. I gave a presentation just last month on future client systems and predicted then that touchscreen netbooks would become commonplace in the next few years. I was certainly not expecting to see them arrive this soon!
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 19th May 2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Note to self: learn to type

2. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

dirtydog (19th May 2009), Soulfish (19th May 2009)

Thank Post
    I like. Especially the 'Computing Station'

Thank Post
    I was lucky enough to play with a demo model. It is really nice. The biggest selling points are that its in their business line of laptops. Which means a complete care warranty next day repair and a Windows Business OS. These were huge selling points for me. Many schools are buying netbooks because they're cheap without thinking how they are going to support them in the long run.

The colours are nice too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sreiach View Post
    I was lucky enough to play with a demo model. It is really nice.
    Ooh, question time then! My biggest gripe with Dell's Mini 9 netbooks was the flimsy-feeling keyboard. These look more solid, what was your impression of them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    Still only available with XP Home though. Would have hoped they would include Pro.

Charging Trolley is a very nice touch but at 464.00 for the full spec touchscreen + camera/ 6 cell / a/g/n / 3YNBD Warranty which only includes 1GB RAM and XP Pro, cheap it isn't.

Official Page here.

Direct2Dell Blog Post here

Lots of nice images here.

Thank Post
    That's very true, they are by no means the cheapest, but I would expect that price to come down when you're buying a few of them on Public Sector pricing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Ooh, question time then! My biggest gripe with Dell's Mini 9 netbooks was the flimsy-feeling keyboard. These look more solid, what was your impression of them?
    I really don't remember that being an issue. In fact it felt exactly the same as the E4300. It is a little tiny but they maximized the full width of the laptop for the keyboard. Also the Power and volume controls are big hard plastic lit buttons. The touchpad buttons are also made of the same hard plastic as the rest of the casing.

I've found anything that's been shrunk naturally has a flimsy feel to it like most netbooks. This one is definitely one of the more rugged ones I've picked up.

It was a little heavy with the extended battery installed. Which I didn't see as too much of a fault. We're not asking kids to walk and type. It's still better then them carrying a beastly D630 around.

Thank Post
    wow nice find! Just recieved a Samsung NC20 yesterday but I want them to buy netbooks with N wireless cards in and have a decent warranty. Those 2100 allow us to do both and add accidental damage cover etc etc if we need to, plus they are rubberised! I think they are happy with a 10" screen anyhow and that trolley is a brilliant idea if its not overpriced!

Thank Post
    Just priced up a Lattitude 2100 on the Dell Premier Website. With 512mb ram included as default (we intend to add an extra stick, and we can get 2gb sticks for around the same price as the upgrade to 1gb ram), win xp home, touch screen, camera, wifi n, 6 cell battery and the 3yr warranty it's coming in at the same sort of price we can get the Samsung NC10.

Great news for us as we're looking at buying 20 in the next few weeks . Ubuntu 8.10 is an option as well if you don't intend on upgrading to XP Pro, and saves you even more cash

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Just priced up a Lattitude 2100 on the Dell Premier Website. With 512mb ram included as default (we intend to add an extra stick, and we can get 2gb sticks for around the same price as the upgrade to 1gb ram), win xp home, touch screen, camera, wifi n, 6 cell battery and the 3yr warranty it's coming in at the same sort of price we can get the Samsung NC10.

Great news for us as we're looking at buying 20 in the next few weeks . Ubuntu 8.10 is an option as well if you don't intend on upgrading to XP Pro, and saves you even more cash
    What is that price??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    What is that price??
    I priced one earlier with:
    802.11N
    3 yr warranty
    6 cell battery
    NO TOUCHSCREEN OR WEBCAM
    439 inc VAT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Just priced up a Lattitude 2100 on the Dell Premier Website.
    Bah, I just went to our Premier Page to take a look and while the link is there, I'm just getting a blank page when I click through to Customise and Buy!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    I priced one earlier with:
    802.11N
    3 yr warranty
    6 cell battery
    NO TOUCHSCREEN OR WEBCAM
    439 inc VAT.
    Am I right in thinking that was the price off of the public website? Premier pricing is normally better.

EDIT: Much better in fact, I'm getting that spec for 259 ex VAT on our Premier Page
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 19th May 2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Premier pricing

Thank Post
    Bah, I just went to our Premier Page to take a look and while the link is there, I'm just getting a blank page when I click through to Customise and Buy!

Am I right in thinking that was the price off of the public website? Premier pricing is normally better.

EDIT: Much better in fact, I'm getting that spec for 259 ex VAT on our Premier Page
    Getting similar pricing on our premier page . Did speak to our account manager earlier, but it seems that the laptop trolley hasn't been released in the UK yet

Thank Post
    Erm, can you all be aware that you shouldn't post prices from the Dell Premiere pages on a public forum, they are commercial in confidence.

Thank Post

yeah public site... must see if we have a premier login (and not post my prices ) as I dont usually deal with Dell.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast