+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Dell's new Latitude 2100 netbooks - with touchscreen and bespoke charging trolley! in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Bah, I just went to our Premier Page to take a look and while the link is there, I'm just getting a blank page when I click through to Customise and Buy!

Am I right in thinking that was the price off of the public website? Premier pricing is normally better.

EDIT: Much better in fact, I'm getting that spec for £259 ex VAT on our Premier Page
    with XP or Linux?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Still only available with XP Home though. Would have hoped they would include Pro.
    Although the 'Customise & Buy' pages only show XP Home & Vista Home Basic the tech specs show XP Pro & Vista Business.
    http://premier.dell.com/portal/catal...2&cs=RC1050266
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Erm, can you all be aware that you shouldn't post prices from the Dell Premiere pages on a public forum, they are commercial in confidence.
    First, they'll have to catch me.

Second, I did actually wonder about that before I posted, and so had a read through of the T&Cs on our Premier site and also the 'non-disclosure agreement' link at the login screen. I genuinely could not find any terms related to pricing confidentiality, so if it is in there, it's well hidden.

The spec I looked at was with XP. I would have priced it with Vista but it's more expensive for no good reason, and we'd be upgrading it to Enterprise under our SA anyway.

Thank Post
    @AngryTechnician

Their link goes to the wrong section at the moment! Anyway, it is common courtesy to suppliers and also against many local authority/government purchasing guidelines to disclose any special pricing or quotes.
    Publicly available pricing, or with the agreement of the suplier is fine, but otherwise it's best avoided.

Thank Post
    Their link goes to the wrong section at the moment!
    I take your point, and don't disagree, but I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment longer here and say: that's their problem, not mine. As for the common courtesy you refer to, pretty much every supplier I've ever dealt with, including Dell, are quite happy to ask for full details of quotes and pricing I've had from other suppliers (which I don't give them, I might add). They clearly don't respect each other's 'confidentiality' so expecting me to without even asking is a bit rich IMO.

My original intention in posting pricing was to dispel the immediate concern from earlier posters that this product was unaffordable compared to the competition, when I believe it's a very good product, and that Dell give very good pricing to schools. Perhaps I could have done that without being specific, but frankly the pricing we get from Dell is hardly some super-special deal we have worked out with them.

Thank Post
    @AngryTechnician
    Ok, fair enough and can see your point, just not something I'd feel comfortable or happy with doing.

Anyways, had a play with one of these yesterday, quite a nice design.
    Few things, case is really nice and so is the keyboard, both very solid, certainly built to take some knocks!
    With the 6 cell battery they are a bit of a heavy lump and I would say the vertical screen resolution @576 is a bit low for a lot of programs, but I suppose that's the same with all netbooks.
    Even with Vista on it, seemed to perform pretty well.

Thank Post
    I would say the vertical screen resolution @576 is a bit low for a lot of programs, but I suppose that's the same with all netbooks.
    Even with Vista on it, seemed to perform pretty well.
    That's the only other thing I dislike about Dell's netbooks; many other manufacturers have a 1024x600 resolution. I know the extra 24 pixels shouldn't make that much difference, but what did Dell do with them? It's not like they can fall down the back of the sofa...

If my experience with the Samsung NC10 is anything to go by, performance will be better still with Windows 7 on it. I expect Dell will add that as an option at the earliest possible opportunity (along with everybody else!)

Thank Post
    quite happy to ask for full details of quotes and pricing I've had from other suppliers (which I don't give them, I might add).
    Neither do we, the cheeky sods. When initially quoting if suppliers don't give us their best pricing first time we don't give them the business. I'm not making it easier for them by giving them each others prices!

I'd have killed for these 4/5 years ago instead of the Latitude D510's we ended up with, not so fussed about the touchscreen but the charging trolley is really nice, especially how they can still be accessed when shut away.

I wonder how tough the keyboards are :P

Thank Post
    I'll stick to the Eee PC 1000H, the more i read and see these Dell ones the more i think they are so not thought out.

Like AngryTechnician says, the screen res is just wrong, is it to hard to do that extra 24 pixels and get the 1024*600 ? or even better do somthing like an 11" screen and get a good res such as 1024*768 coupled with the low power consumption of the Atom Processor and other items and your on to a winner.

With the public pricing too, when you make it actually suitable i.e. put the 6 Cell battery in, add the N capable wireless card the price rockets.

Sorry Dell, you've lost your marbels with this product, its dire.

Thank Post
    A review is here
    Dell Latitude 2100 - A Review of the Dell Latitude 2100

Shame the education cart is set for 24, if you could customise the amount it holds it would be a lot nicer. It doesn't look like the keyboard is any tougher than a standard netbook keyboard which is a shame as well.
    The network light seems hillariously pointless, given that students work will be on a.... network share. Plus if anyone actually bought these you'd just whack something like lanschool/netschool on them anyway.

Thank Post
    anyone else played with one yet? im likely to order one today to try out against an NC20, seem like a great product to me although its a shame about the 24pixels they lost

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Dell LatitudeTM 2100 laptop and trolley info

Hi All,

well I had a play with the Dell LatitudeTM 2100 the other day when rep came in, not a bad little piece of kit.

Received an email this morning on the trolley pricing* however its' still up in there air on final price, please do not quote me.

We are planning on possible purchase of the trolley and laptops around December time; end of the day comes down to final price.

News: Dell Latitude 2100 Mobile Computing Station
    Tech: Dell LatitudeTM 2100
    Dell delivers industry’s firsts with 10.1 inch netbook designed for education

Hope this can shed some light

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    sounds good. Legend that is Joe at CP has one winging its way to me now so ill do a little review or something when we get it. Still interested in the trolley as and when...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12