+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, SIMS server crashing!! in Technical; I am having a bad morning! Stepped throught the door this morn' to sounds of SIMS isn't working! It appears ...

Thank Post

SIMS server crashing!!

I am having a bad morning! Stepped throught the door this morn' to sounds of SIMS isn't working!

It appears our SIMS server, a Dell Poweredge 2600 crashed in the night and in Event viewer we are getting:

Error: Event ID 9

The device, \Device\Scsi\mraid35x1, did not respond within the timeout period.

It has crashed twice since then.

Any ideas what I sould be looking for? It appears to have a onboard RAID controller and has 2 x mirrored SCSI drives. Am I better looking at purchasing a replacement contoller? Also what would I need to do to add the new controller? Am I right in thinking that the new controller wouldn't pick up the mirrored set?

Anyone else come across this? I am searching the Net at the mo' and I can see loads of sites with comments on it.

Mark

Thank Post
    Hi

check this at first glance; Troubleshooting event ID 9, 11, and 15 on Cluster Servers

tony

Thank Post
    Cheers Tony, I have come across this one and if we have another crasch I will have a look inside to see if there is anything loose.

I have come across loads of different answers, hard disk failure (checked that and the disks seem fine), conroller failure (maybe ), loose connections, firmware updates needed (I haven't changed anything and last night was the first time in 5 years accoring to Event Viewer)

Thank Post
    hi

I know this might sound really obvious but have you installed any updates to this machine recently? so you have a spare server you can get sims up and running on?

Thank Post
    No, haven't done any updates recently. Haven't really had to on the system only from the last SIMS update weeks ago.

Thank Post
    Hi markman,

My first suggestion would be to get the Service Tag handy and give Dell Business Support on 0844 338 1200. Their server support is generally very good and as long as the server is under warranty they should be able to help.

The other thing to do (or your first option if it's not under warranty) is to get hold of the PowerEdge diagnostic tools and give them a full run on all disk and controller hardware.

I don't suppose you have the Server Administrator (and IT Assistant ideally) tools installed?

Cheers,
    Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread