+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Box can only have one IP address but needs to listen to several VLAN's in Technical; Would it be possible to have a peice of kit sit in between the box and the switch? We are ...
    Thank Post

Box can only have one IP address but needs to listen to several VLAN's

Would it be possible to have a peice of kit sit in between the box and the switch?

We are trialing a securus box and it can only be associated with one IP address. But we have several VLAN's. So this box is limited. Securus support have never heard of a VLAN before it seems, so is there a peice of kit that could act as a go between?

Thank Post
    Do you have a common IP range that both can see ? Like servers / proxys ?

Or will it not allow you to have a specific route to the other range. There must be a way for it to have a default gateway. You will need a router to link the two networks, some switches will do this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Well do you really need a VLAN? You could always subnet your network as an alternative.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well do you really need a VLAN? You could always subnet your network as an alternative.
    I'm assuming they have created vlans for network segmentation and security. Each vlan will have a subnet anyway which will be routed at a router or L3 switch. I don't know what creating subnets will achieve otherthan a bit more clarity but it will still be part of the same broadcast domain.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    I'm assuming they have created vlans for network segmentation and security. Each vlan will have a subnet anyway which will be routed at a router or L3 switch. I don't know what creating subnets will achieve otherthan a bit more clarity but it will still be part of the same broadcast domain.

Ash.
    Separate subnet = separate broadcast domain is it not?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    Separate subnet = separate broadcast domain is it not?
    Not if its all in one vlan. Remember you can multiple subnets on the same vlan. If you vlan it then you need to assign a subnet to each vlan and they you do get multiple broadcast domains.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At one of my schools each Cab is on its own VLAN, we just use secrus as normal. Out Switches are layer 3 and routing between them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats not how subnetting works each subnet will be a single broadcast domain. Each VLAN would segment the network in a similar way if you then segmented each VLAN with subnets then you would have multiple broadcast domains within each VLAN.

I.E. 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 as a network would lead to 192.168.0.1 as the network address and 192.168.0.255 as the broadcast address.

Wes

Thank Post
    We use tagged VLANS for network security. We do not want pupils to have access to the same servers as staff, so those servers only listen to staff VLANS. Servers like DHCP, DNS are tagged on all the VLANS. Securus can only be tagged on one VLAN, So it could only ever listen to one VLAN.

Hosts on the VLAN ID 6 network can only talk to other hosts on the ID 6 network, and servers that have been tagged on the ID 6 network. They would never be able to talk to a VLAN ID 7 network.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    Thats not how subnetting works each subnet will be a single broadcast domain. Each VLAN would segment the network in a similar way if you then segmented each VLAN with subnets then you would have multiple broadcast domains within each VLAN.

I.E. 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 as a network would lead to 192.168.0.1 as the network address and 192.168.0.255 as the broadcast address.

Wes
    Yes this is what i was saying that each vlan will be a subnet and hence a different broadcast domain. I just don't know what the puprose of having multiple subnets in one (same) vlan.

Ash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread