+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Smartboard Alignment Problem in Technical; I had a similar problem, is it only straight lines this happens too? It was when we got new projectors ...
    Thank Post
    I had a similar problem, is it only straight lines this happens too?

It was when we got new projectors and between the laptop and the projector there was no earth... Running a earth cable from the vga to any 3 pin plug or earthing point stopped it for me...

Hope this helps.

Thank Post

Earth the VGA?

Hi guys,

As you can see, the problem isn't fully gone for me. Since I was last here, I've now tried shielding the board with aluminium foil behind it, and then covering that up with 3/4 inch plywood, and then installing the board. This has masked the problem a bit, but the user reported re-occurrence of the jagged lines once since then, and a few mor occurrences of vertical lines having a "jump" in the middle. As you draw straight lines down the board, they all seem to jump about 5mm to the right, at the same distance down the board from the top. I haven't yet tried earthing the board, and I was curious about your suggestion to earth the VGA cable - how does one go about earthing the VGA cable?

Thank Post
    I rang some people and they suggested earthing from the vga, as there is no 3 pin plug between laptop, board, projector to earth any interference... I ordered 1 earthing kit because i didn't really know what they meant... turns out all it was is a earthing cable with a small ring on one end and a bigger ring on the other end... the small ring goes on one of the vga screws and the other on a metal 3 pin plug... sorted the problem for me.

If you need more details I can post pictures etc... let me know.

I hope this helps you.

4. Thanks to neon from:

mr-man (10th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Could you post a couple of pictures when you get the chance, may solve some of our problems as well, Thanks

Thank Post
    have attached some photos, first one is before I did anything, brand new laptop and projector... quite an old board. But like I said with the combination of new 2 pin power adaptors there was no earth. The second photo shows the earthing cable attached to the vga lead... the third one then shows the other end of the earthing kit attached to the top pin of a metal 3 pin plug. The last photo then shows the result... Perfectly smooth and as the alignment should be.

If you need anything else please reply... i hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. 3 Thanks to neon:

agentz (22nd November 2010), mr-man (10th January 2011), TechSupp (26th October 2009)

Thank Post

Thanks Neon!

Hey Neon (and all),

Okay, so further update on this. I went into the school last weekend, tried a few different things, like pulling the board away from the wall to see if the anchor points behind the tray were responsible for the interference, and got nothing. Also, tried running the board connected to the USB, but no projector and no speakers and no power to the laptop (so, watch the laptop screen for feedback as you write/draw on the board), and still showed slight interference. I went back in again today, and tried a repeat of a few different things, but the interference was more evident today. So, I tried what one SMART technician had suggested and earthed the board using a screw hole at the back or the board into the ground pin of a 3-pin plug nearby, and wow - it made the problem 100 times worse! The lines were spiking all over the place. Finally, as a last effort, I tried earthing the VGA cable, using Neon's tip above - I cut a length of plain wire, stripped both ends, fitted one side to the ground pin inside a 3-pin adaptor, and wrapped the other side around one of the srews of the VGA plug, and the problem disappeared (obviously the earth from the board which I tried earlier was also removed and retested before I earthed the VGA cable). But anyway, all seems resolved now. Will have to let the teacher run the board for a few days before I can get confirmation that it's finally gone. But what an amazing wild goose chase!
    PS. I have a SMART Notebook file which explains all my testing, showing symptoms through every step of testing if anyone's interested. Mail me on justgenius@gmail.com and I can post that file here.

9. Thanks to justgenius from:

Thank Post

Photos

All,

Here are some pictures, as requested. The first 2 show the board and installation - notice the plug points to the left very close to the board, and the projector and wall mounted speakers are both using 2 pin plugs - so no earth. Also, if you look at the left edge of the board, you can kind of notice some aluminium foil which was used to try to shield any interference coming from behind the board. The later pictures are form SMART Notebook software - notice how the vertical lines down the board always seem to jump about 5mm towards the edges of the board when you get to about 1/3rd of the way down the board. Notice how much worse the jagged lines got when the board itself was earthed using a screw hole at the back of the board. And finally, notice how it all cleared up when the VGA cable was finally earthed - similarly to the pictures provided by Neon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Thanks to justgenius from:

agentz (22nd November 2010)

Thank Post
    well looks pretty good to me, hopefully this will be the end of the problems!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    One of our many Smartboards has an odd alignment issue which becomes very obvious when drawing horizonzal lines (attached a pic of me trying to draw straight lines, note the blips about half way down some of them). The board doesn't have any power lines or large metal objects behind it. Anyone have any ideas?
    Hello,
    I also had this problem and the cause was bad earthing of the PC driving the Smartboard. There was too much dust accumulated on the power strip that gave power to the PC.
    When I cleaned the dust from the power strip, the earthing was good and the smartboard worked well again!

14. Thanks to ivrellis from:

Thank Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy an earthing cable from? Don't like the idea of just wrapping loose cable around the plug terminal. Any help appreciated.

Thank Post
    This is a very interesting thread. I don't have any solutions but a few thoughts:

The image in the original post shows a number of different types of "jaggedness" - some lines wiggle up, some wiggle down, and some wiggle more than others. If you consider just the offsets caused by the wiggles, they form a sine wave: slightly down, very down, slightly down, slightly up, very up, very up, slightly up. It sounds as thought you've already reached the same conclusion but this suggests to me that the problem is almost certainly caused by interference from an analogue signal (and even "digital" signals are ultimately analogue by the time they reach the wire).

Andytown, you could buy an ordinary plug and screw the wire into the earth terminal properly, running it through the strain relief as you would normally do with a mains cable.

There has been a lot of discussion involving earthing things, and I think you're probably heading in the right direction by doing so. However, it might be worth ensuring everything is earthed in the same place. Minute differences in earth potentials can cause small currents to flow between them ("earth currents" or "earth loops"), which are what can cause the humming in audio amplifiers and may well also be the cause of your problems.

Thank Post

Thanks Neon

Quote Originally Posted by neon View Post
    have attached some photos, first one is before I did anything, brand new laptop and projector... quite an old board. But like I said with the combination of new 2 pin power adaptors there was no earth. The second photo shows the earthing cable attached to the vga lead... the third one then shows the other end of the earthing kit attached to the top pin of a metal 3 pin plug. The last photo then shows the result... Perfectly smooth and as the alignment should be..
    Hi Neon and everyone else with the same issue.

Not been on here for a long time but I just want to give you a huge thanks for this solution - I've had a couple of users report the jaggy line problem after having new NEC projectors installed to replace failed Hitachis. I was kinda sceptical the first time when a teacher insisted that the problem only started after they got their new projector installed but after finding this thread and earthing the VGA cable as suggested the problem went away

I hunted round the school and found a Dell power supply with an earthed mains cable and attached it to their port replicator and the problem got significantly better but didn't go away completely. I'm now speaking to our electrical maintenance team to get a workable, easily deployed solution as we're just about to place an order for a couple of hundred NEC projectors to replace ageing Hitachis and I can guarantee more teachers are going to have the same issue.

So, once again thanks to Neon and others who helped me with this issue

Thank Post
    Glad all this has helped others. Also the earth cable can be ran from any end of the vga... mine are all ran from the faceplate 1.5m to the nearest plug. saves running it in the roof space like the first one i did

Thank Post
    Thank youy to all the advise given, i am certainly going to try the earthing idea as i have tried just about everything else. I will let you know the outcome.

Jac

Thank Post
    Hello
    we have found that if you attach a earth wire to the projector VGA port and connect it to something metal usually in the ceiling if its mounted this solves the problem of wavy lines.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12