+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Cost effective printer in Technical; This has been asked a few times before but things change. I've been asked to specify a printer to go ...

Thank Post

Cost effective printer

This has been asked a few times before but things change. I've been asked to specify a printer to go into a Senior Manager office. There are two occupants and volume won't be huge. If they still did them, I'd go for an HP990 inkjet. So we are probably looking for a colour inkjet that is easy on ink. I accept that this might make the hardware costs higher.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thank Post
    Take a look at something like the Brother HL-1440. You could have one on each desk.

EDIT: I missed the fact you wanted colour! Ignore me.
    Last edited by fafster; 12th May 2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: blind.

Thank Post
    Any particular reason you're thinking colour?

Thank Post
    This months PC pro has a write up on laser printers and costs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Any particular reason you're thinking colour?
    They print out colour coded spreadsheets and graphs. They have an HP2600 at present but the new bursar has said they are too expensive to run, which I don't disagree with. They also leak toner all over the shop.

Thank Post
    Hi

I use hp 2200dn or 2200n recons from ict direct dpending if they need double sided. They are cheap and brill work horses.

ICT Direct - refurbished laser printers, inkjet printers

Richard

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    This has been asked a few times before but things change. I've been asked to specify a printer to go into a Senior Manager office. There are two occupants and volume won't be huge. If they still did them, I'd go for an HP990 inkjet. So we are probably looking for a colour inkjet that is easy on ink. I accept that this might make the hardware costs higher.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.
    According to Which?, Canon come out top in respect of cost of ink over extended periods.
    I'd cite the article for you, but it is only accessible to paid members.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    According to Which?, Canon come out top in respect of cost of ink over extended periods.
    I'd cite the article for you, but it is only accessible to paid members.
    Unfortunately that article is probably out of date... The newer printers have much smaller capacity cartridges that are much the same price as the large cap' ones pushing the Cost per page up by 25% or more..

That said, if you can get Canon iP4500's I'd recommend them as the better inkjets for casual use... especially with the greater capacity pigment black PG5BK cartridges. They are less prone to clogging and the printhead is replaceable as a consumable.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Unfortunately that article is probably out of date... The newer printers have much smaller capacity cartridges that are much the same price as the large cap' ones pushing the Cost per page up by 25% or more..

That said, if you can get Canon iP4500's I'd recommend them as the better inkjets for casual use... especially with the greater capacity pigment black PG5BK cartridges. They are less prone to clogging and the printhead is replaceable as a consumable.

Article was written January 2008, so the technology at that level hasn't altered greatly that it isn't worth considering the manufacturers they recommend.

My father recently (Feb 2009) bought a Canon 4500 - says it is the best printer he has ever owned, and he is very hard to please!

Thank Post

They print out colour coded spreadsheets and graphs. They have an HP2600 at present but the new bursar has said they are too expensive to run, which I don't disagree with. They also leak toner all over the shop.

Wait, I'm confused, you want to replace a Laser with an Ink Jet to save money?

I havn't looked into running cost in depth for ages, when I last did Kyocera had lowest running costs.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 12th May 2009 at 05:24 PM.

Thank Post
    You won't save money replacing a laser with an inkjet. Especially not a cannon inkjet.

I've replaced all our individual cannon inkjet's we had with shared HP 3600s

Butuz

Thank Post
    The colour lasers we have are HP2600n and they are really expensive. Partly because the toner cartridges leak, even the HP ones, and make a real mess. It costs around £250 to replace a full set. I compare that with the HP990 inkjet where a colour and black cartridge cost around £40 and lasts as long.

We have some Kyocera mono printers that are really cheap to run. Nine years old and still on the same drum.

Most of the printing in this room will be to the photocopier, it's just for confidential stuff so volume will be low.

I'll take a look at Canon. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Article was written January 2008, so the technology at that level hasn't altered greatly that it isn't worth considering the manufacturers they recommend.
    Unfortunately it has..

Canon alone went from their iP4300 line, hit the iP4500 and are now on to the iP4600.

The difference between the iP4200 - iP4500 has really been about picolitre dot size which has mean't different printheads more than anything.

The iP4600 came out when the Canon cartridge chips were cracked and resetters were made available on the market. Cartridge size dropped markedly, drop size reduced, and of course the chip has changed. For lower end printers there's also been a massive drop in the actual printer build quality such that I'd say they've cut the life expectancy of those units to around a third of the previous models.

My father recently (Feb 2009) bought a Canon 4500 - says it is the best printer he has ever owned, and he is very hard to please!
    I'd agree, the iP4500 is a very nice printer and I'd definitely recommend that model... The problem is that you can't get them for love nor money unless you buy refurb, second hand or similar.

Anyway, I'm aware we're getting waayyy off base here.

Thank Post
    Get one of the HP Officejet Pro printers which use the 940XL cartridges. Very cheap to run as they have individual cartrdiges which last 2200 pages for black and 1400 for colour.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The colour lasers we have are HP2600n and they are really expensive. Partly because the toner cartridges leak, even the HP ones, and make a real mess. It costs around £250 to replace a full set. I compare that with the HP990 inkjet where a colour and black cartridge cost around £40 and lasts as long.

We have some Kyocera mono printers that are really cheap to run. Nine years old and still on the same drum.

Most of the printing in this room will be to the photocopier, it's just for confidential stuff so volume will be low.

I'll take a look at Canon. Thanks
    I seriously doubt that a £250 set of toner is the same as a £40 set of ink. Can you give your numbers for this?? Hi-cap carts for the 990 had 42ml of ink. There is absolutely no way they could 2000 pages!
    Last edited by localzuk; 12th May 2009 at 09:26 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast