+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Can anyone reccommend a touchscreen in Technical; Hi all I am looking to deploy 10 touch screen all in one pc's as information points in school receptions ...

Thank Post

Can anyone reccommend a touchscreen

Hi all
    I am looking to deploy 10 touch screen all in one pc's as information points in school receptions
    they must have an o/s preferably xp, be touch screen @ 17 inch, and capable of being wall mounted, other than that they only need to run a web browser and have some usb and etehrnet connectivity,
    I have gone round and round here and getting no where fast,
    have discounted the Dell studio one (no wall mount) and the Asus eee top (not seen to be robust enough) any suggestions gratefully received. budget is 1000 or less
    Mark

Thank Post
    Did you try Ergo.co.uk?

Thank Post

re: touchscreens

Hi
    I have gone with EVO all in one's from Edutec (scl) Will let you know how I get on once they are here.
    Thanks
    Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_D View Post
    Hi
    I have gone with EVO all in one's from Edutec (scl) Will let you know how I get on once they are here.
    Thanks
    Mark
    I'd be interested to hear your findings, as I am looking at setting something up similar here in our Main Reception as well as an online student signing in system we have developed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_D View Post
    Hi
    Thanks
    Mark
    How did you get on with the Edutec Machines?

Here we ordered 165 machines last september and must have sent at least 30-35 back with varying problems, a lot of the machines the CD Drives dont actually read disks!!

6. Thanks to glennda from:

PeterW (2nd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi Toby,

I'm sorry to hear you have had a large number of problems we certainly do not find this acceptable, I am looking into the issues now for you and hope to speak to you soon regarding how we can move forward.

From the quick look I have had already I can see there could be an issue with the firmware that is loaded on the SH-S223F optical drives by Samsung at the factory, they are reporting that version SB00 can render the drives unable to read discs and are recommending that an update to version SB03 be applied to avoid the drives going bad in this mannor. Please find the firware update here Samsung DVDRW Downloads

I am pulling all the records now and will check to see if there are any other common issues and see if there is anything we can do proactivly to reduce the risk of any further failures. If you have any further issues please get in touch either by the normal methods or PM myself or email peter.whitehouse@edu-tec.co.uk / support@edu-tec.co.uk don't be a stranger

Regards

Thank Post

first impressions of evo all in ones

Hi
    As promised some feedback on the Evo machines from edutec.
    we went with the following spec
    dual core e5200
    integrated 6 usb/audio/lan 10/100/1000 /
    2gb ddr 400 ram160gb sata2
    dvd cd rw combo
    17 in sxga with touch screen and small speakers

The units are nice to look at and feel robust, we asked for a downgrade to xp-pro and this was preinstalled for us.
    one oversight was the halt on all errors in bios - no keyboard - no boot but in fairness at this stage you do need a keyboard plugged in because of the windows mini setup if nothing else.

the screens themselves are nice to look at the touch screen overlay is unobtrusive, you can just notice a gap of a couple of mm at the screen edge. A very acceptable image all round and still ok when viewed from an angle(touch screen here means its not a shiny unit like a crystalbrite or etc) .

Performance wise the units are plenty quick enough. I wanted these primarily as an internet information kiosk but due to requests from end users also installed open office media players and the usual plug ins. still plenty quick enough, full screen dvd playback was very watchable, as you would expect from the above spec.

The touch screen works well there, is a utility to calibrate the screen but it didnt need it (I just tried it from curiosity-like you do) anyway my fingers are not the daintiest and I still found no problems navigating through an average screen.

I am using opera in kiosk mode (with a little help from tweakui and gpedit )to tie the user interface down and it works really nicely. Speed dial is set as the home page and it carries nine squares each with the homepage of a different school in the local group so that you just touch the one you want and you are away.

So far very pleased, scl were helpful and competitively priced supplying extra's like kensington lock kits and vesa mount brackets the units themselves carry a 3yr warranty.
    overall I would have no problem reccommending these based on what I have seen so far.

I am not attached to scl in any way feel free to contact me for any more info.
    Mark

9. Thanks to Mark_D from:

PeterW (26th June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread