+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Hardware Thread, Sun 7410 Unified Storage + SAN/Userspaces Question in Technical; On the Profile or Documents for you give a security group that the pupils belong to the following rights on ...

Thank Post
    On the Profile or Documents for you give a security group that the pupils belong to the following rights on the folder only, not subfolders:
    Traverse folder/execute file
    List folder/read data
    Read attributes
    Create folders/append data

You then set CREATOR OWNER to have all permissions execpt Change Permissions and Take Ownership on subfolders and files only.

Just automatically does it then :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SLMHC View Post
    Are the default share settings ok to go with as well?
    Set it as above, thats fine. You then go into the access tab for the share and under Root Directory ACL you set everyone to full control.
    Once you've done that, in windows go to \\SUNBOXNAME\ and you'll see your share, you can the right click on it and set the permissions up how you need them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Just automatically does it then :-)
    Seriously, I'm clearly being stupid here but humour me... As long as I set the top-level folder permissions correctly to allow access, Active Directory will automatically create the folders and set permissions based on the paths that are entered for the profile and home directory? I've never seen (nor tried) this happen, and we're using Server 2003. Does it just work like that?

In all the time I've been working here I was told to create the directories manually, make the user account, enter the paths of the folders I just made in AD for the user, then manually set full-control permissions on the folders for that user.

Hope I'm not being incredibly stupid here...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Seriously, I'm clearly being stupid here but humour me... As long as I set the top-level folder permissions correctly to allow access, Active Directory will automatically create the folders and set permissions based on the paths that are entered for the profile and home directory? I've never seen (nor tried) this happen, and we're using Server 2003. Does it just work like that?

In all the time I've been working here I was told to create the directories manually, make the user account, enter the paths of the folders I just made in AD for the user, then manually set full-control permissions on the folders for that user.

Hope I'm not being incredibly stupid here...
    Yes, it does, as long as the permissions are set as above.

We don't set a home directory, in group policy and we up folder redirection. It probably works with a home folder set as well, its just we have never used home folders.

5. Thanks to teejay from:

Duke (29th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Excuse me, I just need to uh, bang my head against the wall...

On the plus side, the reason I've never noticed this is that we very rarely create users manually, they're almost all scripted as we do them in batches. I also need to fiddle with permissions on the profiles folder to get it working.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just realised that we've never done it before previously because every user also had their own individual share as well, not sure if AD would have handled that? It's only since we've gone to the SAN that it's changed to a top-level share with individual folders.

*hangs head in shame*

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 29th April 2010 at 09:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Set it as above, thats fine. You then go into the access tab for the share and under Root Directory ACL you set everyone to full control.
    Once you've done that, in windows go to \\SUNBOXNAME\ and you'll see your share, you can the right click on it and set the permissions up how you need them.
    Thanks. I went with those settings with the Everyone permission from within the 7110 and used Windows to create the correct permissions on a subfolder of the sun share.

General process I used:
    -create share from within s7000
    -assign Everyone full control to the share from the root ACL and share ACL
    -create my user folder and untick the inherit from parent button
    -give full control to domain admin and SYSTEM
    -give special rights to CREATOR OWNER (sub-folders and files only) for full control
    -give special rights to authenticated users (this folder only) for traverse/ execute folder

SYSTEM and CREATOR OWNER were needed so that ADUC could create and assign the user home folder. Auth users was needed so that the user could access the user drive folder. As a hospital we don't have the huge user turnovers that a school would so setting up users through ADUC works for us.

That was a heck of a lot easier than trying to do it through the s7000.

Anyone have a copy or link to the Sun integration with Windows whitepaper? I'd love to give that a read.

Dave

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SLMHC View Post
    Anyone have a copy or link to the Sun integration with Windows whitepaper? I'd love to give that a read.
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...ms_windows.jsp

Direct PDF link: http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...ms_windows.pdf

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    thank you.

Thank Post
    These guides are really useful, the only thing to remember though is that they were written for an earlier version of the software, so things have changed slightly and there are now more toys to play with like de-dupe :-)

Thank Post

Configuring HA for Sun 7410

Hi -
    We are trying to implement 7410 in HA mode. The issue is that several UAT tests are failing and thus we are not able to use the storage in production.
    We are using it as ISCSI storage for hyper-v cluster. The core issue is that the fail over time is so high that the vms reboot themselves before the LUN becomes available again.
    I believe we are not doing things correctly, can someone point me to the right implementation architecture for HA?
    We have 2 head nodes and 1 22TB J4440 with 2 logzillas as the configuration.
    Please let me know
    Thanks,
    Himanshu

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by himanshukhona View Post
    Hi -
    We are trying to implement 7410 in HA mode. The issue is that several UAT tests are failing and thus we are not able to use the storage in production.
    We are using it as ISCSI storage for hyper-v cluster. The core issue is that the fail over time is so high that the vms reboot themselves before the LUN becomes available again.
    I believe we are not doing things correctly, can someone point me to the right implementation architecture for HA?
    We have 2 head nodes and 1 22TB J4440 with 2 logzillas as the configuration.
    Please let me know
    Thanks,
    Himanshu
    Sorry, absolutely no idea on the HA stuff, didn't have the budget to do this. Your best bet is to contact Sun/Oracle support, I'm sure they can resolve it for you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by himanshukhona View Post
    We are trying to implement 7410 in HA mode. [...]
    Are you on the latest software release? If so read the comments here, not sure if it might be related to your problem: Sun Storage 7000 2010.Q1.1.0 Release : Fishworks

Like teejay said, best option is to get in touch with Oracle.

Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234