+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Kelway? in Technical; Anyone bought from them?...
    Thank Post

Kelway?

Anyone bought from them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts

Thumbs up

Yes at my old school in Rushden, used them all the time.

The prices aren't always the cheapest up front, however they will always price match and do you the best deal that they can.

The best thing i found is the customer care and after sales. Never had a problem and if you ask for a quote, you get one emailed back really quickly itemised nice and simple on a pdf.

I used to deal with a guy called Ian Steele, who had been my account manager when working in industry in London many moons ago.

Never had any problems, and if items were wrong or needed swapping out they would sort it.
    Once even sent items we were desperate for before receiving the PO cos he knew our finance / bursar process of ordering was so slow. Then they took the order when it arrived and cancelled the original.

We bought all sorts from custom spec' HP / IBM servers, all manner of kit from Dell often cheaper than the website prices, hardware, software, you name it.

Impeccable service in my opinion.

Thank Post
    I have probably set up some of your gear at some point, I used to work in their config centre!

When I left Kelway to work at the school I'm at now I tried Kelway for quotes several times, but they could never match my boss's favourite supplier (ProBrand) on price, which was a bit disappointing really. I don't think my boss is keen on sending stuff through a config centre when we have 4 technicians to do the setting up this end, either. The Cutter Project seem to get that sort of work when it's available!

Not surprised what you said about Dell, I seem to remember the last year I was there they discovered that they were the biggest UK seller of Dell equipment aside from Dell themselves!

Can I ask why you don't use them now?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts

Smile

Yes you probably did. We were a team of 2 so if they did any config for us it was really helpful.

We used to use ProBrand all the time as well, or theITindex as they preferred to be known. Sometimes the pricing was great, but stocks and product range not always so. Had a great account manager there too.

It's mostly the service we liked with Kelway and the speed of quotes, plus technical knowledge of the account manager, he knew what we were talking about and requesting, or would go and learn. With ProBrand, despite large orders there was a high turnover of account managers, either due to leaving or being handed up to a 'bigger' account manager...and their product knowledge was often dismal.

Dell stuff was good, we used to order a lot online from the small business area of the website as well. It was funny because we'd get an order confirmation from our regular account manager despite the fact that we ordered online, undercut her quote by up to 20%, and she probably didn't get any commission either.

I don't use them now because as good as Ian was an my account manager, i doubt he can ship things to Saudi Arabia as cheaply as he could to Northants!!

Thank Post
    I deal with Kelway at work on almost a daily basis and I have to say I have never experienced better customer service, support or product knowledge or friendliness anywhere else! We probably buy nearly 90% of our equipment from them.

Highly, highly recommended!
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 10th May 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We used to get quotes from Kelway but they didn't come up as best Value all the time and because we couldn't tell them the cost other people were coming in at so they could try and undercut them they said they didn't want to quote for us ever again

Thank Post
    We use them a fair bit and the customer service is pretty damn good. Their Dell prices are usually better than Dell even after schools discount and (more importantly) your account manager doesn't change every five minutes.

They're my default "I need $replacement_hardware now!" supplier at the moment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information