+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Eco-Warriors R'us - Shutting down equipment in Technical; same here - I used my power meter to check, but a Dell 17" value TFT used about 12 watts ...
    Thank Post
    same here - I used my power meter to check, but a Dell 17" value TFT used about 12 watts when running, and if you "power off" on the button, it STILL used 11 watts..just killed the output. Horrendous design.

We also have powerout, but the LEA policies etc seem to interfere with it. Maybe in the new building.

Movement sensors..we had. Electricians removed them as "useless"! 2 are now at my parents house, doing duty in the garage lighting system.. Excellent kit. No overrides either - you give teachers an override, they'll use it all the time. Not worth it. Think "idiot" and design accordingly.

We've removed the aircon control and put them above the ceiling to stop staff buggering about with it. Lightswitches should be the same. Stuff the poxy keyswitches too...the kids just smash the facias off.

Corridors should have the push "vacuum" delay switches or movement sensors IMO..no permanent on option. Loos the same.

Can you tell it annoys me? I walk round turning lights off..sigh.

Printers and the ilk I think should have a timeswitch built in, like the plugin ones I have at home. Set the "on" hours, walk away. Same with ring mains in the school rooms...if only they could run individually off timers for each room. That'd work nicely.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    AS in no over-ride switches at all or just one, because if theres none, you can easily say that there should be one incase something breakes/catches alight or a students gets shocked by it so you can turn off power remotely.
    Hmm? The Big Red Switch system? Oh yes, every socket is switched as normal, but they all run as it were from the big red discipline switch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    AS in no over-ride switches at all or just one, because if theres none, you can easily say that there should be one incase something breakes/catches alight or a students gets shocked by it so you can turn off power remotely.
    We had that recently - monitor went "pop" and started smoking so the teacher dumped the power to the room, rather than risk going near it.

Make sure the kill switch is clearly labelled though - we had someone accidentally power down the IT Suite because they thought it was the light switch (in her defence, the kill switch is in a stupid place), resulting in the demise of a couple of mainboards.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    No overrides either - you give teachers an override, they'll use it all the time. Not worth it. Think "idiot" and design accordingly.
    Override was only to turn the lights off, so overrides the sensor. The worse they can do is set the lights not to come on and then it is their own fault if they walk into something in the dark

Thank Post
    same here - I used my power meter to check, but a Dell 17" value TFT used about 12 watts when running, and if you "power off" on the button, it STILL used 11 watts..just killed the output. Horrendous design.
    We also have Dell cheapo 17" screens and they draw virtually nothing in standby/off, so it's definitely worth checking with a power meter and acting accordingly.

Thank Post

Update

Ok, I've been crunching some numbers for breakfast and this is what I've come up with - remember, this is a small Infant school, 250 children, 20 desktops, 1 Server, 1 um-Switch...

Currently, this equipment runs 24/7/365
    Server
    Modem/Router
    Cachepilot
    um-Switch
    7 Wireless APs
    2 Belkin Bridge
    2 Domestic Switches

A Reserved est put the total running cost for this equipment, based on 10p kWh (day), 7p (Night),
    at 300 + VAT

Equipment used during school time (11 hours/day)
    20 Desktops
    8 Projectors
    14 Printers
    8 Amps
    2 Laptop Charging trolleys
    1 Hungry Photocopier

Again, my estimates put total running cost of this equipment, based on the tariff above, over 195 days, at 550 + VAT

I'm currently trialing a 'reduced timetable' for the Permanently on equip, hoping to SAVE approx.
    220 + VAT; And the on-demand equipement, SAVE another 250 + VAT

All in all, I think the risk of switching off some of the permanent equipment every night is worth it. Thank you to everyone for feedback - I'm now going to look at Shutdownertron and other scripts to make sure the Server doesn't turn off when it might still be needed.

Kind Regards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    In relation to times on the ring mains, these are very much possible, they go in with the MCB / RCD in the Consumer unit. I've got them in newer consumer units for outside lighitng. Digital timers and obv locked in dis-boards means no teacher fiddling!!!

Thank Post
    I know my granny used to say "look after the pennies and the pounds willl look after themselves" but schools could save far far far bigger money by controlling the heating systems better than fiddling with the low power ICT equipment/lighting

Its like worrying about switching your TV off at the plug at night when you've still got your central heating system running in May

Or worrying about MP's claiming a few extra thou in expenses when the world economy is up the creek.

If something is left switched on - then it will fail due to overheating, mech failure or some random failure event.

Switching it off and on will stress it very much more and lead to much more chance of failure unless its a rotating mechanical device in which case switch it of

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwoberts View Post
    Equipment used during school time (11 hours/day)
    Where did you get 11 hours a day from? We have 5 hours of teaching every day, and there's no reason for projectors to be on much longer than that. Some people want their classroom computers on before/after school, but many don't, so by default I set them to turn on at 8am and off at 4pm, and change those specific PCs where there is a need.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwoberts View Post
    I'm currently trialing a 'reduced timetable' for the Permanently on equip
    I advise caution here as many network switches (especially older and/or cheaper ones) won't like this. They will run happily for years and then not come back on after a power outage - several times here I've had seemingly fine switches die in power cuts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. Turning off Switches, or your AD server is a bad idea. These devices can and will complain bitterly if you do this.

Also, on the router - if it is provided by your LEA/ISP (ie a managed internet connection like we have), turning it off most likely will upset them. Ours is monitored remotely, to ensure our connection is working. If it goes off, we get phonecalls.

Obviously, things like desktop PC's, photocopiers, projectors and the like should be off when not in use. They chew through power like no-body's business.

Thank Post
    our big red switches are just that..heavy duty cooker-esque ones with neons, next to the teacher PCs...

The heating in this place does cost a bomb..but we share the site with a leisure centre and ski-slope, so we apportion the bills accordingly.

New place has ground-source heating loops and underfloor heating throughout, which should be minimal cost to run, as well as keeping the place to a fairly uniform temperature. REALLY looking forward to that.

I'm hoping that the BMS will allow me to take data from it and graph it, so we can have a live display of wind turbine output, power usage, building temperature, ground source heat levels, mains/rainwater usage etc, and bolt it up with the display from our weather station, then put it to the display systems in the foyer and our IT office.

I think it'd make interesting reading and possibly some interest for..say..science.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    I thought a normal ceiling tile of lighting (4 fluoros) used about the same power as a PC (roughly 60W). Am I close? That would put their consumption lower than the computers in a suite but on a par. Do any schools switch lights off with motion sensors? I've seen them in corridors, but I would think that a classroom with no movement for 5 minutes means a classroom with no kids in it!
    our new block has them in every room and corridoor and they work well, makes sense to me.

14. Thanks to dirtydog from:

sahmeepee (20th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Another recommendation for the plug-in monitors here - both at work and home. I just had a quarterly power bill for 43..heh. And that was us being lazy, at that.
    my quartley electric comes to 190+ and has been known to hit 360, I didn't beleave it was possible to get it down that much,,, *borrows energy meter from school*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    my quartley electric comes to 190+ and has been known to hit 360, I didn't beleave it was possible to get it down that much,,, *borrows energy meter from school*
    That's a lot... even in the winter, on economy 7 pre-paid tariff I still only reach about 80 a quarter

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast