+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Recomend me an inkjet printer in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Recomend me an inkjet printer

Hi All,

I've been asked to get 3 inkjet printers for primary classrooms, "something comparable to the HP Deskjet 990cxi already in a couple of our classrooms". I'm inclined to stay in the HP camp, they dont want to be too expensive (sub £70 each) , what are you guys buying at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
    Andy

Thank Post
    The HP DeskJet 6940 for approx £75.00 could be an option.

The inks, as most nowadays, have alot smaller capacity than the good old HP15/45/78 etc. They use the HP344 & HP399 inks, but HP also sell them in twin packs that can save you some more money.

They have the added advantage of having JetDirect Network port built in so you can connect via the network in next to no time.

A possible alternative is the bigger, heavier duty HP OfficeJet K550.
    This uses 1x Black (HP11) and 3x Colour (HP88). The standard printer has no networking facilities, unless you go for the higher model. Recently, HP had a promotion on this printer, offering a free 3 year warranty.

Hope that helps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesandrew View Post
    what are you guys buying at the moment
    Second-hand HP Business Inkjet 1100 / 1200 from eBay, mainly because we'd already started buying them when they stopped being made and wanted to have machines that all took the same cartridges. We'd probably buy the latest model (the 550?) if we were starting now. I've just bought a 1200 for art and a continuous ink system off eBay, we'll see how well that works.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I've been asked to get 3 inkjet printers for primary classrooms, "something comparable to the HP Deskjet 990cxi already in a couple of our classrooms". I'm inclined to stay in the HP camp, they dont want to be too expensive (sub £70 each) , what are you guys buying at the moment.
    Ok... Can I challenge your specification as I wanted to suggest a couple of things you may or may not have thought about. But first some questions...

1. What age range are these printers intended for?

2. Are the teachers in the rooms, technically skilled enough to be able and willing to change cartridges (this isn't as daft as it sounds)

3. Are any of the classrooms located next or near to each other?
    3a. If 3. = Yes, do you have anywhere physically accessible and near to both that you could put a networked printer?

The reason I ask this lot is that my experience of inkjets in primary schools (6+ so far) is that individual classroom inkjet printers tend to suffer from the following:
    - lack of use resulting in clogs
    - lack of cartridge changing resulting in non-use
    - poor output

The only time I've ever really gone with a specific classroom machine has been when the children are nursery/reception age, when children are too young to be allowed out of the classroom to get a printout... or when there's physically no space for a printer to go out in the corridor.

I appreciate I'm offering advice when none was really requested but just as a suggestion, if possible I'd recommend going with something that you can network and share between the classes and possibly think about a mono laser for the bog standard black and white stuff, along with a K5400dtn (Misco have them for £99 + VAT which is a very good deal at the moment) for all the colour stuff.

Primary benefits for this approach would be:
    - Lower consumables because you're only buying the large capacity cartridges for the K5400 (which are pretty cheap) and mono toner which is definitely cheaper!
    - Printers get a lot of combined use which keeps them from clogging
    - Combined responsibility for the printers increasing the chance of someone having the wherewitheral to change cartridges, etc..
    - Improved output and reliability from a better model printer

The K5400 does have one small drawback in that the pigment black can promote clogging in certain environments so use of dyebase alternatives would be much better... Oh and yes I do have a CIS system for the printer as well which would definitely save you a LOT of money on consumables.

Key thing here is that as a rule inkjets cost more in consumables the cheaper the actual printer is...

Whatever you do, do not touch the newest Canon printers with a 400 foot bargepole... The build quality has been dropped to a third of previous units to the dismany of many...

Hope that helps... Would be happy to discuss over the phone if you want some other intel... Inkjet printers are something of a detailed skillset for me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we have these available Hp Officejet Pro 8000 Inkjet Printer £80.00+vat Free Delivery

Specifications
    Product Description HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 Printer
    Printer Technology HP Thermal Inkjet
    Print speed (draft quality, A4) Black: Up to 35 ppm
    Colour: Up to 34 ppm
    Print speed (laser comparable) Black: Up to 15 ppm
    Colour: Up to 11 ppm
    Print quality (best quality) Black: Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
    Colour: Up to 4800 x 1200 optimised dpi colour on HP Advanced Photo Paper, up to 1200 x 1200 input dpi
    Duty Cycle (monthly, A4) Up to 15000 pages
    Processor speed 38 MHz
    Standard memory 32 MB
    Standard printer languages HP PCL 3 GUI, HP PCL 3 Enhanced
    Paper handling standard Input: 250-sheet input tray
    Output: 150-sheet output tray
    Duplex print options Automatic (standard)
    Standard media sizes A4 (210 x 297 mm), A5 (148 x 210 mm), A6 (105 x 148 mm); JIS: B5 (182 x 257 mm); 100 x 150 mm; envelopes: No. 10, DL (220 x 110 mm), C6 (114 x 162 mm), C5 (162 x 229 mm), Monarch
    Media types supported Paper (brochure, inkjet, plain), photo, envelopes, cards (index), transparencies
    Standard connectivity USB 2.0, Ethernet
    Compatible operating systems Microsoft® Windows® 2000 (SP4), XP Home (SP1) and Professional (SP1) (32 and 64-bit), XP Professional x64 (SP1); Windows Vista®; Mac OS X v10.4.11, v10.5 (For Microsoft® Windows® 2000 (SP4), XP Professional x64 (SP1), XP Starter Edition, and Windows Vista® Starter Edition, only the printer driver, and the Toolbox are available.)
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 494 x 479 x 180 mm (with duplexer installed)
    Weight 7.8 kg (with duplexer installed)
    Warranty Standard One year limited hardware warranty

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    A possible alternative is the bigger, heavier duty HP OfficeJet K550.
    This uses 1x Black (HP11) and 3x Colour (HP88). The standard printer has no networking facilities, unless you go for the higher model.
    The K550 is the forerunner to the K5400 which actually uses the HP88 cartridges across the board... HP88's come in 2 capacities... Standard and XL... Standard cost about 2/3rds of XL and have less than half the capacity, if not less.

HP have recently brought out a newer line too...

Officejet Pro 8000 series

Personally I wouldn't touch the newer ones because there will be no alternatives to HP consumables... That said they may have resolved the HP88 black printhead issue..

Thank Post
    LOL... I see Simon hasn't been sleeping..

8. Thanks to contink from:

CPLTD (7th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    LOL... I see Simon hasn't been sleeping..
    I eat sleep and sh** IT fella lol

Thank Post
    When I saw this I first thought of the DJ 6940, if you can get hold of a decent Business Inkjet 1100/1200 I would also for for one of them, same with a K550, all very good printers. We have DJ 6940's in use for Secetary's and they get some use but are well and truely up for anything!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the responses so far.

Ok... Can I challenge your specification as I wanted to suggest a couple of things you may or may not have thought about. But first some questions...

1. What age range are these printers intended for?

2. Are the teachers in the rooms, technically skilled enough to be able and willing to change cartridges (this isn't as daft as it sounds)

3. Are any of the classrooms located next or near to each other?
    3a. If 3. = Yes, do you have anywhere physically accessible and near to both that you could put a networked printer?
    1. Ages 6 to 10
    2. Yes (or at least the TA's are)
    3. No.

I already have an Oki C5850 colour laser in the ICT Suite which all classrooms can print to, i'd rather I didnt have to put inkjets in classrooms, but SMT are dictating it and its their money at the end of the day.

I appreciate I'm offering advice when none was really requested but just as a suggestion, if possible I'd recommend going with something that you can network and share between the classes and possibly think about a mono laser for the bog standard black and white stuff, along with a K5400dtn (Misco have them for £99 + VAT which is a very good deal at the moment) for all the colour stuff.
    I'll take a look at those.

Key thing here is that as a rule inkjets cost more in consumables the cheaper the actual printer is...

Whatever you do, do not touch the newest Canon printers with a 400 foot bargepole... The build quality has been dropped to a third of previous units to the dismany of many...
    Which is why i'm looking at £70 mark rather than the £40 ones that teachers seem to buy for home and then wonder why a.the ink is so expensive and b.they stop working after 6 months.
    Interesting note on Canon, I always liked their range in the past, oh dear.

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    1. Ages 6 to 10
    2. Yes (or at least the TA's are)
    3. No.

I already have an Oki C5850 colour laser in the ICT Suite which all classrooms can print to, i'd rather I didnt have to put inkjets in classrooms, but SMT are dictating it and its their money at the end of the day.
    Ah... ok, that's already covered...

Re: K5400dtn
    I'll take a look at those.
    Given that you're looking at one per classroom I'd suggest maybe look at the K5400N's instead. They'd fit more in your budget but still have networking so you can link if you get in wireless or more machines... Makes you less reliant on USB connection.

Which is why i'm looking at £70 mark rather than the £40 ones that teachers seem to buy for home and then wonder why a.the ink is so expensive and b.they stop working after 6 months.
    Interesting note on Canon, I always liked their range in the past, oh dear.
    Good idea... As for Canon's sorry to say it's something that cropped up recently..

However, the older models are pretty good. Given your spec' I'd suggest taking a look at the Canon refurb store on ebay and see if you can get some good deals on the iP4500's.. I've bought 8+ units from there including iP4200's 4300's and an of iP4500... The iP4500 is pretty good but is now out of circulation as new... The refurbs are basically "as new" and work fine.

The only down side is the lack of network functionality... but if you want that I'd recommend either a Silex 6200 printserver or a Belkin USB server... the latter is easier to get to... Of course that assumes that the networking is required... Probably not but useful to know if/when it is required.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    When I saw this I first thought of the DJ 6940, if you can get hold of a decent Business Inkjet 1100/1200 I would also for for one of them, same with a K550, all very good printers. We have DJ 6940's in use for Secetary's and they get some use but are well and truely up for anything!

I'm also a big fan of the 6940's. We have plenty of them around our district. I also like the 6980's, or whatever the latest model is, because of the wireless capabilities for laptop carts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread