+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Hardware Thread, Laptops for video editing recommendations in Technical; ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    157
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Laptops for video editing recommendations

    Our media studies teacher wants to purchase some laptops (she wants macs, but i dont!!), and so I am after some recommendations from you guys as to what to get.

    Obviously, they will have to be fairly powerful machines to edit with ease. Budget is around £700 per laptop really....if less, then great! We will be using Serif MoviePlus to do the video editing as well.

    Fairly vague description, but what have you got?!

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 891 Times in 572 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    The problem I've found with laptops is getting sufficient disk space and drives that spin fast enough. That may have changed now with SATA drives, been a while since I checked. If you are going the laptop route, then I'd say teacher is right for once. Macs are the way to go.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    157
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    The only problem we would have with macs, is the fact there is no-one on site that is familiar with using them. I have had no training/prior experience with Apple machines, and as such, I have concerns about compatability with our network etc

  4. #4

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,683
    Thank Post
    1,268
    Thanked 788 Times in 685 Posts
    Rep Power
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumaedition View Post
    I am after some recommendations from you guys as to what to get.
    Might be worth thinking about what cables and cards you want to be able to plug in to the laptops. A few years ago lots of laptops came with mini firewire ports, which made them great for doing editing with older DV video cameras. I don't know if many new laptops still have firewire ports, though. Most laptops these days will have a memory card reader, though - generally SD, so check what your cameras use. I've seen some laptops with eSATA ports, which would allow you to attach a proper, fast harddrive for storing and editing larger video projects.

    --
    David Hicks

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Decent amount of RAM and a dedicated graphics board (not the shared memory type !!) You can use a USB 2.00 external drive for storage ..... I use Movieplus 4 on an oldish PC with a decent graphics board and it runs fine .....

  6. #6

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,201
    Thank Post
    893
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    461
    Whats wrong with Macs?

  7. #7

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,896
    Thank Post
    3,415
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Whats wrong with Macs?
    have to agree - whats wrong with them ?

  8. #8
    eean's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    569
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Sorry, I hate macs and really don't know what all the fuss is about BUT
    Their iMovie 09 is a great movie editing pacakage. And a site licence for iLife is something stuipid - like 300 quid. Are you going to fix up those PCs with Adobe Premier?

  9. #9

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,896
    Thank Post
    3,415
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    Sorry, I hate macs and really don't know what all the fuss is about BUT
    Their iMovie 09 is a great movie editing pacakage. And a site licence for iLife is something stuipid - like 300 quid. Are you going to fix up those PCs with Adobe Premier?
    ok so how much is the site license for adobes premier ?

    £300 for iLife versus video editing software on pc's unless your using movie maker which isn't that great is not that expensive - when you say site license am guessing for the macs that means that if you get 20 to start with and ok £300 is a bit much but am guessing if you got more macs you could always install iLife onto them without any issues ?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    157
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    We will be using Serif MoviePlus for video-editing, on the PCs. so large amounts of memory and dedicated graphics card.

    How about this from Novatech?

    Computer Supplies and PC Components from Novatech

    OR

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/e...&s=NNB-736&v=1

  11. #11

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,201
    Thank Post
    893
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    461
    iLife comes free with the OS.

    Im not being funny or anything here so dont take offence.... But why stop them using them if you simply dont like them. Maybe the teacher has good reason and wants to use mac because its btter for the students to use. At the end of the day this is there education.

    Note: this is not a dig at windows or the creator of this post
    Last edited by FN-GM; 7th May 2009 at 08:15 AM.

  12. #12

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,158
    Thank Post
    404
    Thanked 445 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    387
    Why laptops?

    You will probably be able to buy a better desktop for the same money, and in my experience laptops in schools don't work, keys get pulled off, laptop gets dropped, picked up by screen and screen broken and so on. If you need portability maybe you might be off just buying two laptops and putting the rest of the money into better desktops.

  13. #13

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,896
    Thank Post
    3,415
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    iLife comes free with the OS.

    Im not being funny or anything here so dont take offence.... But why stop them using them if you simply dont like them. Maybe the teacher has good reason and wants to use mac because its btter for the students to use. At the end of the day this is there education.

    Note: this is not a dig at windows or the creator of this post
    I agree with that - had apple imacs and pc desktops when working at the kingswood school and the students never damaged the macs yet they did the pc desktops. The only thing with the apple macs is you have to keep them under lock and key so students dont steal them same with any other IT equipment.

    Kingswood on here would be a good person to ask as they have apple macs at the kingswood school so am sure he will be able to help a lot on this topic.

    IMO PC's just are not as good as macs when it comes to video editing - thats what macs are used for, video, audio etc.

  14. #14
    eean's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    569
    Thank Post
    70
    Thanked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Oh yes you're right. iLife comes with the OS. The upgrade for the site licence is what's about 300 - which I think is perfectly reasonable for even 10+ machines.

  15. #15
    mossj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,466
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 189 Times in 174 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Im not being funny or anything here so dont take offence.... But why stop them using them if you simply dont like them. Maybe the teacher has good reason and wants to use mac because its btter for the students to use. At the end of the day this is there education.

    Note: this is not a dig at windows or the creator of this post
    He said hes not sure about how to use them properly with the network/domain (which is fine), but why not learn? Alternativly just install xp onto them but its a huge waste....

    P.S
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumaedition View Post
    The only problem we would have with macs, is the fact there is no-one on site that is familiar with using them. I have had no training/prior experience with Apple machines, and as such, I have concerns about compatability with our network etc
    Last edited by mossj; 7th May 2009 at 09:11 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What do you use for video editing
    By tmcd35 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20th November 2008, 06:47 PM
  2. New PC/laptop for video editing
    By rocknrollstar in forum Windows
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd September 2008, 08:23 AM
  3. Video Editing
    By flashsnaps in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th September 2008, 12:37 PM
  4. Video Editing Rig
    By m1ddy in forum Hardware
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16th September 2008, 08:45 AM
  5. Video editing - am I right
    By Halfmad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 19th December 2007, 07:01 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •