+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dell Desktop Discounts? in Technical; At the request of my SMT , I am working on a multi-year technology plan for our school. We will ...

Thank Post

Dell Desktop Discounts?

At the request of my SMT, I am working on a multi-year technology plan for our school.

We will be due for pc upgrades in about a year. Right now, I am looking at the Dell Optiplex desktop series and trying to come up with a cost estimate for this part of the technology plan. Does Dell generally discount off of the prices listed on their website if you go through an account rep (we do not have an account rep yet)? If so, how much is a typical discount? I am looking at buying about 75 desktops with LCD monitors.
    Last edited by netadmin; 6th May 2009 at 03:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,986 Posts
    Definitely get an account manager and a username/password for the 'Premier' section of their website. You can get some fantastic educational discounts, especially on OptiPlex desktops and PowerEdge servers.

To give you an example, you should be able to save around £141 ($212) off the list price on a base spec OptiPlex 760 USFF and that's per computer (!!!). Once you've got an idea of what you want and a rough cost through the Premier pages you can then haggle a bit further with your account manager (especially if you get quotes from other companies/resellers too - HP is a good one to do).

[Edit. Just noticed you were in the US, but the same things apply.]
    Last edited by Arthur; 6th May 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,721 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It might be worth looking at HP. They are as good as brand as Dell put cheaper.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    It might be worth looking at HP. They are as good as brand as Dell put cheaper.
    to be honest Dell is quite abit cheaper than HP on both laptops and Desktops but HP usually blow them away on servers switches ect,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,721 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Dell ultra small from factor PCs are more expensive than the HP Small form factor. We just purchased 15 HP laptops with 3GB Ram good CPU for £350 each. At a similar spec Dell quoted £700

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's really hard to say "Dell is cheaper than HP" or vice versa - it depends on loads of factors. Both companies (and many others) will go all out in terms of getting business to get your business, particularly if they think that you're not going for a one-off but likely to bring in regular business (and it almost doesn't matter if that's 10 computers a month or 1000 computers a month; regular is good!)

Remember to look at the whole package when you're working out the cost - eg if Dell give 3 year on site warranty but HP do 1 year and the price is close then the Dell is probably a better deal.

Also ask about things like imaging - most companies will let you have a machine on loan so you can prepare an image and then put that image on the machine. Some will do this for free; others will completely rip you off (they've got to put an image on it to test it - how much extra does it really cost to put "your" image on it??)

Some companies will deliver to desk - ie they will unpack and plug in. Doesn't really matter if you're doing 20 but is a big deal if you've got hundreds!

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the tips so far. I really appreciate it.

I will be trying to get a Dell account manager and Premiere access soon. I will also look into the HP desktops though--sounds like that may be a great option to consider as well.

Thank Post

Discounts

With an order of 75 PCs, you should be able to get a huge discount with from supplier. We purchased 100 Dell OptiPlex 755 SFF PCs from Dell in 2007, and some more in 2008. I think the website price was around £700, and we got the price down to around £370 (ex VAT).

With a one-off purchase of this value I have a feeling that you may have to use a tendering process. I'm not 100% sure, but this may be a legal requirement for public money expenditure over a certain value. However, you can use a purchasing consortium to avoid this (and get a competitive price), as they have already gone through the tendering process for you.

As an educational customer, Dell also gave us a 3 year Next Business Day on-site warranty as standard (on desktops, but not laptops). However, if you prefere to fix them yourself yourself, they are willing to send you the parts, following a diagnosis on the phone. Also, they won't sell budget PCs from their home range (e.g. Dell Inspiron) to businesses/schools/colleges.

One issue we have recently discovered with our Dell machines is the non-standard power supplies in the SFF models (and presumably the USFF model as well). Three of ours needed replacing after learners flicked the switch the PSU from 240V to 220V and went pop! We are going to superglue the switches in-place. If you contact Dell they'll charge £107 for a replacement. This is where they make their money!

You should also be careful if you prefere 4:3 aspect radio displays to widescreen. Dell would probably try to slip in widescreen because they are cheaper to manufacture than 4:3 (due to the smaller screen area). Widescreen is good for video, but perhaps not as good for normal office applications like Word. Check the spec in your quotation; and look for a W in the product code as it's an indication of widescreen.

There are other companies which offer good bulk discounts on desktop machines: Stone computers provided us with a good quotation (inc standard parts and 5 year NBD warranty), and HP are also geared up for this. Others include RM and Viglen.

Thanks, Bruce.
    Last edited by Bruce123; 9th May 2009 at 11:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The Dell ultra small from factor PCs are more expensive than the HP Small form factor. We just purchased 15 HP laptops with 3GB Ram good CPU for £350 each. At a similar spec Dell quoted £700
    Did you ask simon for that quote though

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread