+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP LaserJet 2420n Network Problems in Technical; I have a problem where a printer keeps going offline (not responding to ping), the printer display panel doesn't show ...
    Thank Post

HP LaserJet 2420n Network Problems

I have a problem where a printer keeps going offline (not responding to ping), the printer display panel doesn't show anything wrong. I believe this is because the printer isn't handling some network activity. If I ping with the defaults (in Windows) it's fine. If I ping with a larger buffer size (eg ping -l 5000 -i 200 -w 500 it causes the printer to report service error: 49.ff09 and requires a reboot. I've tried the same on another 2420, but the other printer handles this ping fine.

I've tried upgrading the firmware from 20050823 08.109.2 to 20070410 08.112.3. This reported service error 49.4c18 part way through. On rebooting, the jetdirect interface reports the new firmware version. I tried re-running the upgrade, but the same error is reported.

If I plug in a jetdirect in the EIO, it seems to work fine and pinging doesn't cause it to crash, so the issue seems to be limited to the on-board NIC? Any ideas what component could be causing the issue?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    I have a problem where a printer keeps going offline (not responding to ping), the printer display panel doesn't show anything wrong. I believe this is because the printer isn't handling some network activity. If I ping with the defaults (in Windows) it's fine. If I ping with a larger buffer size (eg ping -l 5000 -i 200 -w 500 it causes the printer to report service error: 49.ff09 and requires a reboot. I've tried the same on another 2420, but the other printer handles this ping fine.

I've tried upgrading the firmware from 20050823 08.109.2 to 20070410 08.112.3. This reported service error 49.4c18 part way through. On rebooting, the jetdirect interface reports the new firmware version. I tried re-running the upgrade, but the same error is reported.

If I plug in a jetdirect in the EIO, it seems to work fine and pinging doesn't cause it to crash, so the issue seems to be limited to the on-board NIC? Any ideas what component could be causing the issue?
    From a post I wrote on the HP forums after getting all jetdirects working here:

Upgraded all jetdirects to their latest firmware, DOWNgraded any jetdirect J7949E on firmware v33.15 to v33.14 (.15 is horribly broken and crashes after a couple of minutes usually).

I have enabled SLP protocol on all the print servers, I have then telneted into the jetdirect to set slp-keep-alive (available with the firmware updates) to a value of 2 (2 minutes between slp anouncments).

I have changed the MAC age time on all the switches to 900 seconds from the default 300.

Jetdirects now announce themselves every 2 minutes stopping the switch forgetting that they exist. I have added a logoff-period of 1800 seconds to a single port with a Xerox printer on it which stops it reauthenticating every 10 minutes (unable to change slp interval on it).

This may or may not help, but I've had the printers on line for the last week now and when I ping, they are still there!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, we usually don't experience problems with JetDirects. This particular one has been working for the past two years without issue. I've already tried enable the slp keepalive, but this doesn't help. Just tried increasing the MAC to 900 on the switch, again no joy. I don't think this issue is related to something timing out because as soon as I switch the printer on, if I ping it with buffer size =>2000 it will cause the aforementioned service error.

Thank Post
    I have an HP Laser jet P2055dn and each time am printing any pdf file its shows this same error (49 err 51f02c3)
    pls kindly help me out on this..
    thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread