+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, RM Computer Problems in Technical; Hi i Work within a school which run RM a few computers are having problems all at the same time. ...

Thank Post

RM Computer Problems

Hi

i Work within a school which run RM a few computers are having problems all at the same time. It displays a message when loading it can't find a file in the kernal. I have re-imaged the computers many of times and this has made no different. I have installed new copys of windows on them and then the RM part over the top and still getting the problem. The computers are the all in one (screen attached to the base unit) I have swap the hard drives over one from a working computer and put the working hard disk into the problem computer and visa-versa. And the Problem computer is still displaying the message and the other one is working fine. So from this we no it is not the hard drive. but every thing else in built on-board. Does anyone have anymore ideas before we start looking into buy new computers

Thank Post
    How many are suffering from this issue and how old are they? Are they under warranty?

Thank Post
    Hi

sorry i did not give you this info on main message about 4 computers and just out of warranty

Cheers

Thank Post
    Check with RM how much it will cost to get an engineer on-site for half a day they should be able to fix it for you. Sometimes they are flexible with their warranties, how far out of date are they??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's the exact message given?

Thank Post
    I'm run memtest86 overnight to rule out memory problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    Check with RM how much it will cost to get an engineer on-site for half a day they should be able to fix it for you. Sometimes they are flexible with their warranties, how far out of date are they??
    I wouldn't hold your breath!

Thank Post
    My apologies for not replying sooner, work to be done and all!

Can you confirm whether it's an RMOne or an RM All-in-One before continuing forth.

RMOne

or

RM All-in-One.

If the former (I don't think the latter had them) is using SATA Hard Disk's be aware that standard practice for RM/2e2 for some time now to change the SATA cable with their Hard Disks. Might be worth a go.

Other advice would be to try memtest86 as suggested before, you can grab it from here and burn it into a CD to boot from. (If you don't have a CD ROM you can try using this one which is for USB Keys.)

Finally, if they are the RMOne rather than the All-In-One I too would go down the RM route where it might be worth speaking to your account manager and expressing both concern that you've had 4 fail (out of a batch of????) but whilst you don't mind buying some new ones you'd like some reassurance/support on these 4. - I'd be surprised if they didn't lay on at least an offer of having a look at it for you.

I've worked until recently with RM for a number of years, both as a moderator in their Forums and indeed from a rather large, awkward but successful site so please take the criticisms with a pinch of salt for I would back them to the hilt given my experiences, and the experiences I've been able to help resolve through communications with RM on customer behalf.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread