+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Building computers in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Building computers

We are going to be replacing all (17) of the computers in our IT suite this year, but are on a pretty tight budget. One of the main things we want to use the suite for is video editing, so they are going to need to be pretty high spec machines. We intend to use Pinacle studio 12, unless anyone can recomend a better video editing package for primary school pupils? - We have tried movie maker but it isn't good enough for what they want.

I have looked at the pc's offered by Dell, as we have been exclusively dell in the past, but they dont seem to be very good value at the moment, so I have looked into building our own, and for our budget can get the following spec:

Amd phenom II x4 940
    4gb Ram
    160gb hdd
    DVD-RW
    512mb Geforce 9400 graphics card
    Tower case and 500w branded psu
    Multi card reader
    Vista home oem.
    £406 per pc

We already have LCD monitors, and 17 copies of Vista business upgrade.

Our total budget to get 17 pc's and 30 copies of the video editing software is £7500 (and that is stretching it a bit!)

Has anyone else built their own computers? I know they would only be covered by the component warranties, but we are well staffed and could support them in house.

Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Steve

Thank Post
    You can't use OEM license. As they are for system builders, not the end users.

Way round it is to you, an individual\sole trader, to have build them, then "sell" them to the school.

Thank Post
    Here the school is the system builder, so that argument is null (though perhaps the rules have changed since I last built one).

Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Way round it is to you, an individual\sole trader, to have build them, then "sell" them to the school.
    (I am not an accountant) I believe this may raise taxation questions for you.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 28th April 2009 at 10:19 AM.

Thank Post

I think that's a very drastic interpretation of the terms. OEM software can be purchased and installed with new hardware, it's just tied to the lifespan of the hardware. If they are buying new motherboards and building the PCs themselves, I believe that meets the terms of being able to purchase an OEM copy to go with it and use it as install media.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    I think that's a very drastic interpretation of the terms. OEM software can be purchased and installed with new hardware, it's just tied to the lifespan of the hardware. If they are buying new motherboards and building the PCs themselves, I believe that meets the terms of being able to purchase an OEM copy to go with it and use it as install media.
    No, you have to be a registered systems builder to use MS OEM licenses unless they are bought with a computer (ie. from dell etc...).

Thank Post
    Yes, it was a very shady work round. Should be ok as you won't be making any money. However, again shady (i'll go sit on the naughty step for saying such things). When I previous look at it, our MS licensing guy said no, OEM you must sell the license with the hardware, you can't buy OEM and hardware and assemble yourself and use, as you're the end user. Not sure about what localzuk said about being registered, I think, you can for free.

EDIT:
    http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it was a very shady work round. Should be ok as you won't be making any money. However, again shady (i'll go sit on the naughty step for saying such things). When I previous look at it, our MS licensing guy said no, OEM you must sell the license with the hardware, you can't buy OEM and hardware and assemble yourself and use, as you're the end user. Not sure about what localzuk said about being registered, I think, you can for free.

EDIT:
    Microsoft OEM Partner Center Web Site
    Yes, it is free. But it is another hurdle.

Also, remember that you can only buy OEM licenses from authorised distributors, namely these: Authorized Microsoft OEM Distributors

Thank Post
    If its cheaper to build yourself I'd go for it, just make sure you choose a good sturdy case. Some of the cheap ones are awful to build and fall apart too quickly. Enlight do some very good cases.

We haven't built our own PC's as yet but we're doing an after school club this term with the pupils to build 3 new ones... should be fun

Thank Post
    What about your Dell 3 year warranty? 3 years of trouble free computing?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    We are going to be replacing all (17) of the computers in our IT suite this year, but are on a pretty tight budget. One of the main things we want to use the suite for is video editing, so they are going to need to be pretty high spec machines. We intend to use Pinacle studio 12, unless anyone can recomend a better video editing package for primary school pupils? - We have tried movie maker but it isn't good enough for what they want.

I have looked at the pc's offered by Dell, as we have been exclusively dell in the past, but they dont seem to be very good value at the moment, so I have looked into building our own, and for our budget can get the following spec:

Amd phenom II x4 940
    4gb Ram
    160gb hdd
    DVD-RW
    512mb Geforce 9400 graphics card
    Tower case and 500w branded psu
    Multi card reader
    Vista home oem.
    £406 per pc

We already have LCD monitors, and 17 copies of Vista business upgrade.

Our total budget to get 17 pc's and 30 copies of the video editing software is £7500 (and that is stretching it a bit!)

Has anyone else built their own computers? I know they would only be covered by the component warranties, but we are well staffed and could support them in house.

Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Steve
    where did you find the processor? i need a phenom for my PC at home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lbradley View Post
    where did you find the processor? i need a phenom for my PC at home.
    amd phenom - Google Product Search

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the feedback, I'll look into the oem issue, but sure I can work a way around it. I agree that the 3 year warranty on a dell is nice, but it would mean a huge drop in spec to get a dell for that price.

The processor was from misco, I think ebuyer also have them in stock.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give ICT-Direct a ring. I'll bet they have some warrentied kit that will be cheaper than your home brew, and from tier 1 vendors too

ICT Direct - computer hardware for ict in education - primary, secondary, special needs schools and colleges

Thank Post
    I would factor in a few spare motherboards. It'll make your life easier with images etc. if you have to replace a mobo.

Are you actauly asking Dell etc. to quote you or are you just going on the prices on their web site?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ring around, Simon (from CP) quoted me for a PC thats higher spec than that, at roughly the same price, and it was going to be built for us. Fine the OS was not included but put XP on, put your vista upgrade on, sysprep the machine, then ghost the machine, job done!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast