+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Sat Nav in Technical; looking into getting a tom tom and was wondering what would be the best one ( price range being between ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts

Sat Nav

looking into getting a tom tom and was wondering what would be the best one ( price range being between 100 to 150 max obviously in UK pounds.

Thank Post
    When I got mine, all the people I asked said don't touch Tom Tom. Good European maps were a must and I didn't want to spend any more than you. So I got a Garmin which was on offer in Comet. I'm really pleased with it. However, I suspect that most of the responses here will be pro Tom Tom. I suspect it's a bit like laptops. The concensus might be HP is the best buy but providing you get a good name, it will do the job and be reliable.

The best people to ask are the delivery drivers. You'll find a lot of them have a company satnav and there own because they don't like the company one. Ask them why.

Thank Post
    if you had to compare tom tom and garmin to say hp and apple which one would be which and why ?

A few people I know have a garmin as well and I always hear good things about tom toms and never heard of garmin until about 6 months ago.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    if you had to compare tom tom and garmin to say hp and apple which one would be which and why ?
    I wouldn't compare them that way. I'd be much more likely to compare a Garmin to a netbook (cheap, cheerful, gets the job done, but you have to be happy to accept a few difficulties using them and limited features) and a TomTom to a full-fledged laptop (got everything you'd expect and want, just remember that you'll get what you pay for).

The Apple/HP comparison doesn't really apply.

5. Thanks to jamesb from:

mac_shinobi (24th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I wouldn't compare them that way. I'd be much more likely to compare a Garmin to a netbook (cheap, cheerful, gets the job done, but you have to be happy to accept a few difficulties using them and limited features) and a TomTom to a full-fledged laptop (got everything you'd expect and want, just remember that you'll get what you pay for).

The Apple/HP comparison doesn't really apply.
    The apple / hp comparison was just to get the ball rolling as was not sure how else to explain it but got the answer I was after.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post

A few people I know have a garmin as well and I always hear good things about tom toms and never heard of garmin until about 6 months ago.
    You've heard good things about Garmin now If I was looking to replace it I'd consider Tom Tom but at the time getting one with full European mapping was just too expensive. Garmin are one of the leading GPS manufacturers and are widely used by aviators and sailors. My main point was that either Tom Tom or Garmin will do the job. Buying a Banzai XYZ might prove to be false economy.

Thank Post
    I'm just awaiting my Garmin's arrival, ordered a 'Garmin Nuvi 265 Widescreen GPS receiver With Full European and UK Maps, Bluetooth and Camera Alerts' from EBuyer for £148.50 yesterday. Seems to have all the features I'm after, but cannot yet speak for the usability - will let you know how it goes after a weekend of testing.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160667
    Last edited by tonyd; 24th April 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added URL

Thank Post
    I have a TomTom XL lovely piece of kit, and its holder doesn't pop off your widescreen when it gets slightly hotter than it was when you put it on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread