+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Power in suite keeps tripping! in Technical; Hope someone can help with this as its driving me mad. Most mornings when I come in the power in ...
    Thank Post

Power in suite keeps tripping!

Hope someone can help with this as its driving me mad.

Most mornings when I come in the power in our ict suite has tripped, which means I have to manually turn pcs on (instead of wol) which isnt to bad..but on mornings when Im not there I dont like the idea of other people having too turn the power back on via the switch box as if all the switches are turned on too quickly the power in the main switch cupboard will also trip.

Now a little background, Spiradically some of the psu have been dyeing in the suite, Im not sure if this is the cause or the effect of the constant tripping either way I know some of the psu's are on there way out although I have replaced 3/4 of them now.

Is there going to be a simple way to diagnose where the fault is coming from, and what time maybe the power has tripped to see if that has any relation. The strange thing is the power trips more in the night (when no pcs are switched on) than in the day when they are all on. The rccb says 80a 30ma on. And we have 34 pcs and monitors running from it. Our sparky (who I trust) has told us the fualt isnt with the switch but some of the units we are using, but is proving a mistery to me which ones are causing the fault.

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated as it is very frustrating!

Heres a picture of the switch box if it helps anyone, each of the switches represents a row of pcs then the one that says pr1 is the projector.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    How many pc's in each row being feed by each of those rings?

Ben

Thank Post
    5/6 depending on row.

Cheers for quick reply

Thank Post
    It could be the psu's in those units we have 6 - 8 I'd guess on a ring in the main suite and don't have an issue but I have seen it before.

Is there anything your sparky can do to test the pc's at all?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you use WOL its probably not helping that all computers are going on at the same time. You could try staggering them like 8 at a time or something.

Thank Post
    Marc's Technical Pages: Power Quality Symptoms and Solutions - Leakage Current in Technology bit of nice reading.

Are the monitors switched off at night?

Ben

Thank Post
    Is it individual rows that trip? and is it the same rows that trip each time?

It may be worth ensuring the monitors aren't on standby overnight, I've known monitors to cause trips every now and then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last time i had a classroom that kept tripping, it turned out to be a dodgy monitor! I only worked it out when the monitor finally cooked itself, was replaced and it never happened again.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Has every electrical device (monitors/towers/printers/network switches/vga split boxes ect) been tested and tagged?

Thank Post
    i would up the trips to a higher amp trip and the RCD to, it will stop it. but its not the best fix.

its the CRTz that do it,thats if you have any?

Both my ICT rooms have 3 trips 30mA and both rooms have 32 PCs all WOL.
    never triped once.

Thank Post
    If you use WOL its probably not helping that all computers are going on at the same time. You could try staggering them like 8 at a time or something.

Funny thing is has never tripped when waking all the computers at once.

Marc's Technical Pages: Power Quality Symptoms and Solutions - Leakage Current in Technology bit of nice reading.

Are the monitors switched off at night?

A light bit of reading...think I got the jist of it. I have tried turning monitors off (at button not power switch) but doesnt seem to make much difference. I take it its better to have them off then?

Is it individual rows that trip? and is it the same rows that trip each time?

Well the there is only 1 rcd so whatever trips take the lot with it. So what I do is turn all rings off, then rcd on, then one at a time switch the individual rings back on. I guess in an ideal world each ring would have its own rcd?

Last time i had a classroom that kept tripping, it turned out to be a dodgy monitor! I only worked it out when the monitor finally cooked itself, was replaced and it never happened again.....

Any way of diagnosing this before it frys you think?

Cheers for all the help.....off topic and sure its asy but how do you qoute more than one person at a time?

Thanks Rich

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by titch View Post
    Cheers for all the help.....off topic and sure its asy but how do you qoute more than one person at a time?
    << Multi quote, click on all the posts you want to quote than click "Post Reply"

I dont think theres any way of diagnosing a dodgey monitor (other than funny colours/lines) if its causing power issues your sparky might be able to test it, but even then it might only cause an electrical fault under certain circumstances

13. Thanks to Arcath from:

titch (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking at that board, all of the leakage current for all of the machines is being measured by that one RCD. This lead to nothing but problems with us.

Leaking CRT monitors, power supplies and simple filtered sockets all add up to a large background level of earth leakage. Anything slightly off will push it over the edge.

We ended up fitting RCDs per bank of sockets, but its not a cheap fix.

Problem is, turning off banks of machines will drop the "background" level, and hide the issue!

Try unplugging a system (at the wall) one at a time, see if it stays on over night?

RobK

Thank Post
    Turn everything off at the plug except 1/2 the monitors. If it trips you know which 1/2 is causing the problem. Repeat until you're left with the faulty monitor(s).

Thank Post
    We had similar probs in our new suite, we had the trip switches changed to be less sensitive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast