+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, New server thoughts in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys itís appreciated.

@matt40k
    @mb2k01
    Iím assuming you are against putting Sims and Exchange on the same box because of the combined loading. In the school in question Sims is only used by 2 people and Exchange will be sending/receiving a combined total of no more than 100 emails per day so will that still cause problems?

On my other servers that are running 2003 I have scripted NTBackup that runs every night and backs up to an NAS drive located in a remote building. I understand that server 2008 doesnít come with NTBackup so I will need to buy software for that. Any recommendations for software that will backup to NAS and work with minimal supervision?

Thank Post
    Have a look at the Sun Matching Grant programme if you're after some new servers. Dell + HP couldn't get close to their pricing for what we were after, and you may find you can get two servers for similar to what your paying for just one.

The price list is at http://uk.sun.com/specials/grantprog...ER_03APR09.pdf and have a word with the cutter project if you do decide to see what you can get with Sun. Just been told our new servers are being delivered tomorrow

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes i would also agree with matt and mb dont put SIMS and Exchange on the same box, i tend to keep sims on its own box. well used to until i turned it into thin air

it now sits on a box, x64 Host with 2 VM's Talmos and SIMSSERVER

Runs like a dream.

But yes keep them seperate if i was you.

James.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys itís appreciated.

@matt40k
    @mb2k01
    Iím assuming you are against putting Sims and Exchange on the same box because of the combined loading. In the school in question Sims is only used by 2 people and Exchange will be sending/receiving a combined total of no more than 100 emails per day so will that still cause problems?

On my other servers that are running 2003 I have scripted NTBackup that runs every night and backs up to an NAS drive located in a remote building. I understand that server 2008 doesnít come with NTBackup so I will need to buy software for that. Any recommendations for software that will backup to NAS and work with minimal supervision?
    My post wasnt really due to load actually. I'm sure it would cope fine along those lines.
    The main reasons I wouldn't be keen are that SIMS would ideally be on a completely secure system, isn't (in my experience) as reliable as Exchange and requires frequent updates, shutdown/resets etc.

From your projections I'm guessing this is a very small school? If that was the case I'd seriously consider 2 servers instead of one. However, others on here are very hot on virtualisation (which I have no where near enough knowledge on - but looks promising). It might be that 1 server and 2 virtual servers is a compromise?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Virtulising SIMS you will have no problems with.. i am not sure how exchange would cope being virtulised.. but i am sure it would run ok (i have not done that yet, so could not give you a secure answer)...

If you were to virtulise 2 servers on 1 host, i would possible think of upgrading the RAM to maybe 8gb running a x64 HOST and then give SIMS 3gig RAM - 4gig to Exchange and the 1gb for your host

I'm pretty sure that would cope with it, if its only a small school i am guessing exchange would run fine as a VM.

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    if you want to stick with physical servers, for your SIMS, get an eeeBox and put server 2008 on that - it would do a good job for 2 people or you can get HP servers for under £100

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Virtulising SIMS you will have no problems with.. i am not sure how exchange would cope being virtulised.. but i am sure it would run ok (i have not done that yet, so could not give you a secure answer)...

James.
    there's no problems with running exchange on a VM as long as you have a desent host then there is very little you can't run as a VM - even very CPU intensive things are good on VM cos if the hardware goes down if you have a good selection of hosts then your HA or equiverlent will kick in and move

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    there's no problems with running exchange on a VM as long as you have a desent host then there is very little you can't run as a VM - even very CPU intensive things are good on VM cos if the hardware goes down if you have a good selection of hosts then your HA or equiverlent will kick in and move
    Very True indeed, i dont have a problem with running Exchange as a VM.. the only servers i dont and would not recommend Virtulising is storage, but most people tend to use a NAS solution.

I know in a way i have just contridicted myself there, i know some people have other thoughts on Virtulising Exchange which is why i said i'm not sure

Thank Post
    The reason you don't have sims and exchange on the same server is simple, SIMS uses SQL server. Exchange and SQL both eat and extremely large amount of computer resources. Generally RAM, of course this won't be an issue if you have only SQL Express, as this will only use 1 core and 1GB ram. So it's just a question of making sure exchange doesn't enter that 1gb ram space nor use that core.

NTbackup is still in Windows 2008, I belive its an add-on now, however you can't backup to tape. Which is what you should be doing, if just for SIMS.

(Yes, I've just opened the box re backups, but I would always have an encrypted offsite backup of sims on a different media that what it is stored on. It's the safest way. End of).
    Last edited by matt40k; 16th April 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    setup an upto xcopy script on a memory stick and cycle which one you use - easier to take off site and cheaper than tapes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    The reason you don't have sims and exchange on the same server is simple, SIMS uses SQL server. Exchange and SQL both eat and extremely large amount of computer resources. Generally RAM, of course this won't be an issue if you have only SQL Express, as this will only use 1 core and 1GB ram. So it's just a question of making sure exchange doesn't enter that 1gb ram space nor use that core.

NTbackup is still in Windows 2008, I belive its an add-on now, however you can't backup to tape. Which is what you should be doing, if just for SIMS.

(Yes, I've just opened the box re backups, but I would always have an encrypted offsite backup of sims on a different media that what it is stored on. It's the safest way. End of).
    You can run SIMS on a full SQL implemenatation though as well, doesn't neccessarily need to an SQL express instance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    You can run SIMS on a full SQL implemenatation though as well, doesn't neccessarily need to an SQL express instance.
    I don't think anyone was saying you can't but I'm guessing that as there are only 2 people connecting buying SQL would be a waste of money (only above 25users you need to buy it is it?)

Thank Post
    Thing is - there may be only two people connecting now - but what if in 6 months the school decides to put SIMS on every teacher PC for lesson registration etc.

This happened here - went from 10 SIMS users to 100 and I am only now able to replace the poor server that's been working it's littloe boots off.

Never spec a server for now, spec it for what you will probbly have in 3 years time.

SUN do make excellent servers! Hoping to have several SUN servers and a SUN SAN here soon.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    setup an upto xcopy script on a memory stick and cycle which one you use - easier to take off site and cheaper than tapes
    Your joking? You know memory sticks have a limited write before they die? Would never trusted USB pen drive.

You can use SQL Express or the full version (standard or Enterprise) it doesn't really matter. The only different is the "hardware" limits. Generally if you have lesson monitor you'll want full, if you had money to burn and got a 2xquad core server with 16gb ram just for sims, yes get full. If your school has say 100 teachers, I would get full as well, thinking long term, you're prob going to have a ~100 users on SIMS

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12