+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, DLP Projectors in Technical; I've just had a call from my contact at Panacea. Apparently, France have recently banned DLP Projectors from the classroom ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

DLP Projectors

I've just had a call from my contact at Panacea. Apparently, France have recently banned DLP Projectors from the classroom as they can trigger epileptic fits. He says that suppliers have been been slashing prices on DLP projectors in this country because they anticipate our government and Becta doing the same.

Has anyone heard anything about this or is it a load of horse manure? Being as at least 80% of our projectors are DLPs this is a cause of concern to say the least.

Thank Post

Re: DLP Projectors

Surely this would have been found before.....unless no one who suffers from epilepsy has used them until now.......

If it's true, it's probably linked with the same reasons as rainbow/halo effect!

Anything with intense light and spining colours is going to effect people who are light sensitive!!!

Chris

Thank Post

Just to add, we've only got lcd projectors here.

Chris

Thank Post

I've banned DLP projectors from my life, I can't stand them.

Stand in front of one and move yor head side to side quickly or wave you hand in front of your face, you'll see a horrible rainbow effect that once i've seen, I can't get rid of!

Thank Post

That sounds like something that can scar you for life.........or your retinas at least.

Chris

The rainbow effect is a common problem with single chip DLP, but not all people are affected by it.

Swings and roundabouts. rainbow vs chicken wire

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I have never had the chicken wire effect with my LCDs, or maybe i don't notice it but i am not keen on DLPs and dont recomend them for use in schools.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I have never had the chicken wire effect with my LCDs, or maybe i don't notice it but i am not keen on DLPs and dont recomend them for use in schools.
    Why would you not recommend them? We are thinking about DLPs at the moment as our existing LCD projectors are constantly in need of filter cleaning and we have had major issues with lens discoloration/blooming. Personally I would like to have a set of projectors which are not so high maintenance and it sounds like DLP might be the way to go.

Thank Post
    ^ Seems the way to go for us too but i too can see the rainbow ALOT! It drives me mad as all i need to do is refocus or turn my head slightly and i can see it.

Thank Post
    I have manufacturers coming to see me all the time, the last being Sony and nobody has mentioned this to me

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Why are people looking into the projector?

Can you not blank the screen before you turn around, step out of the way and unblank it?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    My issue with DLP I have found the colours are just not as sharp as LCD models are, I don't mind the filter clean issue as I would rather have a bright and clear projector than a muddy looking one like a HP one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My issue with DLP I have found the colours are just not as sharp as LCD models are, I don't mind the filter clean issue as I would rather have a bright and clear projector than a muddy looking one like a HP one.
    My issue [apart from the constant cleaning rounds on 40+ projectors] is the dimness of the image, even with a new lamp installed, when the lens has this 'cast' on it. An arc of colour thicker at one end than the other runs along the bottom of most of our LCD projector images. It will be more expensive to have them serviced than replace them. I don't want to be in that position again. If it was just one or two I could accept it, but it is happening to nearly all of the projectors and all of the colored arcs described above have the same shape.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My issue [apart from the constant cleaning rounds on 40+ projectors] is the dimness of the image, even with a new lamp installed, when the lens has this 'cast' on it. An arc of colour thicker at one end than the other runs along the bottom of most of our LCD projector images. It will be more expensive to have them serviced than replace them. I don't want to be in that position again.

If it was just one or two I could accept it, but it is happening to nearly all of the projectors and all of the coloured arcs described above have the same shape.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread