+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, What is your opinion of IBM servers? in Technical; Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 SUN kit certainly looks appealing but i'm a little worried what will happen when IBM takeover ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    SUN kit certainly looks appealing but i'm a little worried what will happen when IBM takeover which is looking likely.
    Might not be looking as likely now http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/250777/ibm-watches-sun-deal-turn-sour.html

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    This is normal practice with most brands - choose your server and the hard disks. Both sold seperately unless specified. Can't say the same for the memory though
    My problem was with the 3 months it took for the server to arrive

the fact you had to use that boot cd thing and it wouldn't work from just putting in the 2k3 CD was annoying as the HP I'd done just before that I could just put in the 2k3 disk and away I went on the install process

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is normal practice with most brands - choose your server and the hard disks. Both sold seperately unless specified. Can't say the same for the memory though
    Never seen a server sold with anywhere near enough memory. Always end up buying more. Typically I can find the processor/chassis spec I want for between £500-£1000 then the memory supplied is a poultry 1Gb (or maybe 2Gb if your very lucky). These days I wouldn't put less than 16Gb in a server - virtualisation and all.

Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    My problem was with the 3 months it took for the server to arrive
    the fact you had to use that boot cd thing and it wouldn't work from just putting in the 2k3 CD was annoying as the HP I'd done just before that I could just put in the 2k3 disk and away I went on the install process
    I find it a pleasant surprise when the 2k3 install disc just works on any server. Believe me it is quiet a rarity. 99.9 times out of 100 you'll need a driver disk for the RAID controller. Indeed with modern SATA drives it's getting rarer to be able to install XP without additional drivers (or switching the bios to legacy mode).
    Three months for a server to arrive! Now that is a problem. Upto now I've always used HP and they've arrived usually next day but always within the week. I hope this was just a stock issue with your chosen supplier rather than regular form for IBM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I hope this was just a stock issue with your chosen supplier rather than regular form for IBM.
    Direct from IBM!!!

I agree with what you said about minimum RAM also... I would love to get one of these DL380 G6's and pack that full of RAM but I fear the cost (not even sure when to look for 144GB of DDR3)

Thank Post
    not even sure when to look for 144GB of DDR3
    Hmm have only seen 4GB sticks so far, I make it about £1600 ish for 72GB

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a quick note. ICT Direct, one of our sponsors have pallet loads of 1u HP rack servers formerly belonging to Yahoo! currently in stock. A very impressive sight it was too. So if you're in the market for good second hand servers I'd suggest you give them a ring.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Just a quick note. ICT Direct, one of our sponsors have pallet loads of 1u HP rack servers formerly belonging to Yahoo! currently in stock. A very impressive sight it was too. So if you're in the market for good second hand servers I'd suggest you give them a ring.
    Don't forget the pallet-loads of IBM blades too!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    and the piles of Sun kit as well (sounds like we had an Edugeek outing to visit them but honestly Ric and DB went on a different day to me!)

But yeh they have got plenty of HP kit in at present and I'm sure they will do it at a very attractive price I was amazed at how much stuff they have in, I've never seen so many HP servers in one place like that!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Mixed review - my couple of IBMs have been so solid it is painful to think of decomissioning them BUT the fact they tried to charge many pounds for a plastic drive tray really obtains my hircine, so I am disinclined to go anywhere near. Liking the new HP though. Is nice.
    And HP don't? Had to order a few blanking plates to cover the dvd bay. They now charge around £15 each, still they do come shipped individually from the netherlands well packaged via UPS express.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12