+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, New netbook advice in Technical; Hi all, as i'm sure some of you know i've been away for a few months and will be returning ...
    Thank Post

New netbook advice

Hi all, as i'm sure some of you know i've been away for a few months and will be returning to blighty in the next few days. I'm currently behind the 'great firewall' and internet speeds are glacial at best which is giving me a few issues shopping on U.K sites. I need to pick up a new netbook when i get back as i currently don't have anything but i'm a bit out of date on them and don't have time (or the ability) to read reviews out here so i could do with some recommendations to narrow down options when i get back.
    I'm looking for something with approx 10 inch or above screen and i have 250 pounds maximum to spend. It doesn't really need to be an XP edition i'm fine with Linux as long as it's not a vendor hashed version.

Whos' purchaced one recently and can offer advice on what to avoid or things to look out for. I would like one with a reasonable amount of disk space and a solid state drive isn't a must. Other than that i just need something to get on the net with.

Cheers for any suggestions all and speak soon.

Grant.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Hi all, as i'm sure some of you know i've been away for a few months and will be returning to blighty in the next few days. I'm currently behind the 'great firewall' and internet speeds are glacial at best which is giving me a few issues shopping on U.K sites. I need to pick up a new netbook when i get back as i currently don't have anything but i'm a bit out of date on them and don't have time (or the ability) to read reviews out here so i could do with some recommendations to narrow down options when i get back.
    I'm looking for something with approx 10 inch or above screen and i have 250 pounds maximum to spend. It doesn't really need to be an XP edition i'm fine with Linux as long as it's not a vendor hashed version.

Whos' purchaced one recently and can offer advice on what to avoid or things to look out for. I would like one with a reasonable amount of disk space and a solid state drive isn't a must. Other than that i just need something to get on the net with.

Cheers for any suggestions all and speak soon.

Grant.
    We have tested the eeePC 901 Linux, not a big fan of that model disk space is limited for any updates and the update manager seems to find missing packages in the Asus repo. Not too impressed.

Thank Post
    We just bought a load of Samsung NC10s and I like them lots. Perhaps a little over budget though. We also bought a Lenovo S10e - again very nice and it was 216 ex VAT with Windows Home, 1Gb RAM, 160 GB hard disk etc.

Thank Post
    EEE 4g is pretty cr*p

AMC

Thank Post
    I can also recommend the Samsung NC10s.

You might want to look at the HP 2410 netbooks, soon to be the 2240. Very well built machines, although there is mixed feedback on the standard screen res. There is a 1366 x 768 due for release, but that might put you over budget...

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    If you can find one in budget, the Samsung NC10s really are the dogs. More an ultraportable than a netbook, with a roomy 120Gb hard disk and XP Home. I love mine, and so does anyone who sees it. Quite worthy of the best netbook crown it seems to get if you ask me!

Thank Post
    I've got no idea if this is any good, but their bigger laptops are ace and at this price it looks very tempting.

Lenovo IdeaPad S10E Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

Thank Post
    Excellent thanks for the links and tips it gives me a good starting place.

What's the Samsung NC10s screen res like, do you find yourself scrolling up and down alot?

Speak to you all soon.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 28th March 2009 at 08:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Another NC10 fan here,

Iva had an EEE 4G and an Acer Aspire one and the NC10 wipes the floor with all of them.

Thank Post
    I also will endorse the Samsung NC10 especially as my wife just tripped over the power cord sent it crashing from the kitchen worktop to a stone floor!

A quick chkdsk and a close inspection shows just the chrome paint scratched on the trim insert.

It went with such a crash I was expecting the worse, I hope it stands up to the test of time.

Thank Post
    Another one here for the Samsung NC10, got mine sat right next to me here

Thank Post
    Ok i'm about convinced on the Samsung NC10, just one more question. How do they cope with AV software? If i put AVG 8 free on it will it reduce it to a crawl?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    We just bought a load of Samsung NC10s and I like them lots. Perhaps a little over budget though. We also bought a Lenovo S10e - again very nice and it was 216 ex VAT with Windows Home, 1Gb RAM, 160 GB hard disk etc.
    Could you tell me what the Lenobo S10e is like?

We are looking Netbooks for a different reason, and currently have

Samsung NC10
    Asus EeePC1000H

for testing.

Both have ups and downs, NC10 does not have an N capable Wireless Card (just B/G), which for us will be a problem and it does not have this magic 1024*768 mode (as far as i can see) which the ASUS has, (it misses out a few pixels to give a good attempt at it) Handy for when you need that little bit more res.

The Asus 1000H's mouspad is no where near as good as the samsung NC10 though, but has the N capable wireless card.

Both have a decent size keyboard,

So on the S10e,

Whats the keyboard like? is it 92/93% full size?
    Screen res in the spec says 1024*578 is this true? nothing higher?
    Battery life?
    Mousepad is it anygood?

Thank Post
    I bought one of these last week, and am very pleased with it for the money.

Grade A1 Acer Aspire one A150L - 120GB -1GB - Blue A1/LU.S050A.074 - Acer Products | Acer Direct.co.uk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    I've got no idea if this is any good, but their bigger laptops are ace and at this price it looks very tempting.

Lenovo IdeaPad S10E Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer
    We have 24 of these, and they are absolutly fantastic, the quality simply blows the eeePC out of the water. The screens are vastly superior in quality, it truely feels like mini laptop and not some kids toy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast