+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Hp C3000 blade in Technical; Hi, I am new on here so please be kind to me. I have just started a job and been ...

Thank Post

Hp C3000 blade

Hi, I am new on here so please be kind to me.

I have just started a job and been given the task of setting up a new HP C3000 blade with 8 blades. I have never seen one of these before and I have looked at the HP documentation on how to set it up but I'm none the wiser. Could any of you kind people possibly help me out.

I have a couple of questions which I hope could be answered:

1, What do I do first?
    2, Do I install all of the ICE software on a blade/all of them or on a separate server in the rack and then connect?
    3, Is there an order for loading operating system, ice, hp software, controller etc

I really need an idiots guide to setting one up as I've never done it before.

Many thanks

Lucy

Thank Post
    Wow - talk about being thrown in at the deep end Lucy!

Sorry - no blades here so cannot be of any help!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    You need to use the HP SmartStart software that will have been in the box with the Blade Chasis for a start. You boot the Blade from that CD and it talks you through the install, you give it your Server CD and some details and it does all the work for you, puts Windows on it and then all the HP tools and utilities as well and then leaves you ready to go

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy View Post
    I have just started a job and been given the task of setting up a new HP C3000 blade with 8 blades.
    Wish someone would give me 8 blades to setup

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Wish someone would give me 8 blades to setup
    Even if you have to give them back afterwards.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Blades are good fun I miss my blade centre

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Even if you have to give them back afterwards.
    Depends. I think so, I miss setting stuff up, I used to get bored, once you've done setting it up, it becomes a day-in-day-out of checking logs and doing other boring tasks, over and over again. It's the bit where you said at the being that it has a life span of 5 yrs that you really regred it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You need to use the HP SmartStart software that will have been in the box with the Blade Chasis for a start. You boot the Blade from that CD and it talks you through the install, you give it your Server CD and some details and it does all the work for you, puts Windows on it and then all the HP tools and utilities as well and then leaves you ready to go
    Many thanks for the reply. Sorry to be an idiot, but do I conect a monitor/keyboard etc to the blade enclosure and connect the the IOL port to the network? Also, what do you mean by server CD and do you have to repeat this process for every blade in the chasis?

Thank Post
    Sorry to be an idiot, but do I conect a monitor/keyboard etc to the blade enclosure and connect the the IOL port to the network? Also, what do you mean by server CD and do you have to repeat this process for every blade in the chasis?
    The c3000 can be quite the complicated system. I have had one for 2 years now and I am still learning things about it.

If you have a KVM card in the chassis then you would connect your keyboard, monitor, and mouse to the KVM card. If you don't have the integrated KVM, HP provides a dongle with each of the servers that gives you a VGA, Serial, and two USB ports for your keyboard and mouse. The dongle connects to the front of each of the blades.

You can do the install of the operating system using the iLO connection, but the console connection is much quicker. You still need to have iLO connected in order to do updates to the onboard administrator as well as monitor the servers. You set the IP address of the Onboard Administrator by using the built in screen.

To install your operating system, put the Smart Start CD into the drive and connect the DVD drive to the server using the Onboard Administrator. When you boot up the server, Smart Start will give you a few prompts and then ask you to put the server operating system install disc into the drive. Smart Start will do the install for you including drivers and management software.

You have to run Smart Start on every server, just like you would have to install an operating system on each server.

10. Thanks to schmidty302 from:

lucy (29th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy View Post
    What do I do first?
    Plan you IP setup based on internal iLO network, blade network cards and how it reaches a normal network switch (passthrough or switches).

You wont need a monitor connected to it yet, if you have another PC. Connect the onboard admin, change its settings rather by changing your IP settings to match its or by making it dhcp boot. When you have onboard admin up, you can change all settings on it via a browser....

but try and work out what network hardware you have first and plan its networking setup around that.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 28th March 2009 at 11:40 PM.

Thank Post
    We have a c7000 chassis here but it was a while ago that it was setup so I'm a little hazy (it fixes itself most of the time so I never have to do much to it!)

To install an OS, then the guides mentioned will help you. I'm not sure what you mean by ICE? I'm not sure of the differences between the c3000 and the c7000 (too lazy to google it right now) but I'm guessing you have already fitted psu's, fans, on-board administrator(s), switche(s)? Is it just loading of software your having trouble with?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread