+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Leaking Capacitors in Technical; Elonex!! Says it all really. Sorry, we just had some really awful re-branded laptops from them a few years ago. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Leaking Capacitors

Elonex!! Says it all really. Sorry, we just had some really awful re-branded laptops from them a few years ago. Dammed awful things they were.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

But if they were rebranded then the hardware issues aren't elonexs fault really, maybe theirs for choosing crap systems I suppose.

Ben

Thank Post

Not much wonder why they've had problems eh?

Chris

Thank Post

Starting with my current home PC a couple of years ago (I got someone to replace the caps coz it's a dual CPU I'm fond of) I've seen zillions of these. There's a good overview of the problem, brands and the like at www.badcaps.net.

Key point: It's not just motherboards.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

True we've had it with video cards too.

Ben

Thank Post

Mitsubushi tvs suffer from it a lot too!

Chris

Thank Post

We had this with a batch of 80 HP D530's that we bought three years ago. About half of them had motherboard failures due to this problem. I got HP to come and and replace ALL the motherboards on the ones that had not yet been replaced. Took them three days to get them all done.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo
    Starting with my current home PC a couple of years ago (I got someone to replace the caps coz it's a dual CPU I'm fond of) I've seen zillions of these. There's a good overview of the problem, brands and the like at www.badcaps.net.

Key point: It's not just motherboards.

Here's a really bad example.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Ace! just pure Ace!

Thank Post

That's good.

And another webcomic I can while away the hours reading!

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    But if they were rebranded then the hardware issues aren't elonexs fault really, maybe theirs for choosing crap systems I suppose.

Ben
    Exactly!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts

I had a capacitor problem with a batch of 125 Dell GX280 Optiplex systems bought two years ago.
    It's true, rumour has it the faulty caps were slightly overfilled and are massively failing in a variety of components i eventually found lots of info by googling for "capacitor problem".
    I can only offer advice on the Dell side of things:
    The warranty doesn't really matter as it is Dell's fault, they will eventually admit it. Best thing to do is check visually yourself then tell them.
    Ideally you want to get onto the CMP (Capacitor Management Program - I'm guessing a forerunner for the BMP - Battery Management Program)! The CMP allows you to just fill out a form and email it back to the CMP team who can action up to 5 replacements to be carried out next day by an engineer. In practise this can be 2/3 days depending on when in day you book and that they have sufficient stocks.
    I'm in northants and as i complained enough i managed to convince them to let me have upto 9 boards per day and they let me replace them. so i just send back old for new. sometimes i can even keep them for a while before swapping out - not quite a proactive replacement but it gives me time to do the replacement with minimal downtime.
    Be warned dell require the 20/20 or is it 40/40 HDD test to be carried out first as the HDDs commonly fail due to the capacitor problem though i've only lost one.
    Our symptoms actually were damage to USB components, optical mouse light beaconing, mouse going crazy on screen, keyboard malfunction. Thus the diagnosis took us 3 months, however, having worked out the problem and got onto the CMP i've done the majority of the changes myself and finished the last in the last couple of weeks thankfully.
    Be warned in our county there were severe shortages of motherboards and they are only sending refurbished boards, so a number were DOA. Also, a few times they sent the wrong board, same spec' and form factor but different mounting holes and fewer dimm sockets.
    i've stopped using Dell now, and prefer to build my own AMD units, the only nice feature the Dell's had was that after total power off/failure, on AC on, the system goes into a semi powered state awaiting a Wake-on-LAN signal, which none of the AMDs i've tested do. Maybe it's just a Foxconn thing.
    Anyway, hope this helps, feel free to get in touch if you need any help. i have a number of tubes of CPU paste which i begged Dell to deliver as if you do the replacement yourself you'll find they use a non-standard conducting paste that dries out. the engineers never bothered to change the paste thus we ended up with a few knackered CPUs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts

oh yeah, sorry, by the way, the capacitors affected were the row just beneath the CPU and they all had X grooves cut into them. I was told by one engineer though that there were similar faults with some of the T-caps with quite comicly violent eruptions.
    We never had anything quite so loud just a slight doming of the capacitor and a bit of gunk on the underside of the top of the case, or on the CPU fan mount.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Vkip (you'll have to explain the nick to us later tonight at the meal)

Good to see you found us ... pop over to here and introduce yourself to the massing hordes (over 1100 now :-) !!!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information