+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, CD Drives not recognised in Technical; Hi all, I have a problem which is racking my brain and it will until i get to the bottom ...

Thank Post

CD Drives not recognised

Hi all,

I have a problem which is racking my brain and it will until i get to the bottom of it, someone please give me a hand!

I have a laptop, which has a dvdrom in it and windows doesn't recognise it.
    It's not there at all in the device manager.
    BIOS recognises it, but you can't boot from it.
    So i thought duff CD drive, fair play.
    Plug the USB DVDRW into it, and windows detects it, sticks it in the device manager, and says that it's installed it but couldn't find it. If i unplug it, of course it disapears out of device manager.

It also won't boot from this drive. The drive works fine in other laptops, and i've checked that USB is enabled on boot.

Any ideas?
    Oh and the USB socket works with both a wireless stick and an external HDD (all 4 of them do).

The USB CD drive is externally powered aswell so it's not a lack of power to USB.

I've also moved the external drive much closer to it in the hope it will fine it easier but no luck

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried updating the BIOS of the laptop to the latest version, it could be a firmware compatibility issue.

Thank Post
    I've had this before with some badly-behaved video editing software. This registry key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    has two values in it, something like UpperFilter and LowerFilter, which are how third-party software hooks into the generic CD and DVD drivers. If you have anything installed that is hooking in, renaming them to something out of the way will temporarily disable the hooks and let Windows work with the drive free of any tampering. Reboot for it to take effect. It's a shot in the dark, but it might work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    I've also moved the external drive much closer to it in the hope it will fine it easier but no luck
    Now, that's the kind of attitude I like!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I've had this before with some badly-behaved video editing software. This registry key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    has two values in it, something like UpperFilter and LowerFilter, which are how third-party software hooks into the generic CD and DVD drivers. If you have anything installed that is hooking in, renaming them to something out of the way will temporarily disable the hooks and let Windows work with the drive free of any tampering. Reboot for it to take effect. It's a shot in the dark, but it might work for you.
    We had one of those last week which was fixed with the above reginfo.

However, this won't fix it not booting from etc outside of windows. I'm unsure as to which direction to go but definitely a BIOS update if one's available would be a sensible port of call.

richard_s
    We see this one on a fairly regular basis at work and and in over 90% of cases its that reg key which is to blame.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    We had one of those last week which was fixed with the above reginfo.

However, this won't fix it not booting from etc outside of windows. I'm unsure as to which direction to go but definitely a BIOS update if one's available would be a sensible port of call.
    Upper and lower filters as per here :

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Guide on a blog as per here :

http://delltrain.wordpress.com/2008/...-lower-filter/

Also advises about cd / dvd recording / burning apps so if you have more then one installed that would cause conflicts and you would also possibly need to re install them and also only advise to use one if you can and not have multiple different ones installed.

As per above you need to reboot after deleting the upper and lower filter registry keys.

Also IN CD or whatever it is called causes issues so Un install that / get rid of that completely.

Not sure if these help but I also installed adaptecs ASPI drivers

Adaptec ASPI Drivers (Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP) - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

With regards to BIOS I found that if you enable anything USB related ie enable usb keyboard, usb mouse as well as booting from the usb cd or usb optical drive allows to boot from external drive ( bios update shouldn't hurt and obviously the read me file that comes with the bios update will advise you of what the updates will do or add )

Also if your still having issues after that then I would be tempted to re install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard which should include PATA / SATA drivers.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd March 2009 at 08:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi

I have had this too and it was caused but damaged system file and had to do a sfc /scannow

I have also seen it when firmware of cd or bios have been updated.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the posts, i'll try all of the above and see if it works.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread