+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Printers not working after power surge. in Technical; Hi, we have just suffered a power surge and know most printers aren't working. Are they fried? They are network ...

Thank Post

Printers not working after power surge.

Hi,

we have just suffered a power surge and know most printers aren't working. Are they fried? They are network printers, but they will only get a 169.x.y.z IP. I have tried resetting the Printer and resetting the switches they are connected to.

Any other ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    You most likely need to setup a static IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway and Primary DNS.

If you need this information, open up a command prompt (on any machine on your network) and type: ipconfig /all

Make a note of all the relevant information, then substitute the IP (for example, if your computer is 192.168.0.10, then your printer might be 192.168.0.50. The other information should be identical.

If you use DHCP to give your printers an IP dynamically, make sure DHCP is enabled on the printers. I presume also that DHCP Server is working correctly on your server?

Start > Run > Services.msc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You most likely need to setup a static IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway and Primary DNS.

If you need this information, open up a command prompt (on any machine on your network) and type: ipconfig /all

Make a note of all the relevant information, then substitute the IP (for example, if your computer is 192.168.0.10, then your printer might be 192.168.0.50. The other information should be identical.

If you use DHCP to give your printers an IP dynamically, make sure DHCP is enabled on the printers. I presume also that DHCP Server is working correctly on your server?

Start > Run > Services.msc
    thanks, DHCP is working on server. I will set static if that is the only solution but i wanted to use DHCP still for them Ideally.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    It is quite common practice to set a static IP configuration for printers. If you take a look on your print server, you should be able to see what IP the printer was originally setup with.

Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes. Right click the printer in question and choose 'Properties' > Ports. It should be listed IP_192.168.0.50 TCP/IP Port (for example).

Thank Post
    ok thanks

Thank Post
    I prefer to keep the printers on DHCP and set up reservations on the server for them as it just makes it a whole lot easier changing later.

Thank Post
    Check for partially fried nics on the printer or the switch ports they plug into as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It could just be that the printers restarted before DHCP on the server. Have you tried turning them off then on again ( I can't beleive that I just said that and even more so that it may be the solution ).

You should also check that your DHCP server is still running properly by doing an

Code:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    on one of your client computers. The printers may already be setup with reserved addresses in DHCP but would not have been allocated them if the server was still booting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread