+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Originally Posted by Soulfish I just wish the 4tb version was around when we were ordering Sorry about that one ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    I just wish the 4tb version was around when we were ordering
    Sorry about that one :-(

not me but someone else at sun who took the decision to start with 2TB.

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    But you could present 2x 2TB LUNs... my point remains the same though that the underlying protocol is the same.

Obviously getting on an approved HCL is another matter but I don't think that Citrix has released one. They are also making storage connections more 'open' through their new 'StorageLink' technology.
    Just remember guys that the 4TB is RAW capacity and you will lose a certain amount of that through RAIDing and spares.

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebdenlad View Post
    Sorry about that one :-(

not me but someone else at sun who took the decision to start with 2TB.

Cheers,

Phil
    I just hope that JBOD expansion on the 2tb 7110 is on that elusive roadmap . Otherwise I'll just have to look at getting some of the 4tb (or whatever they may be by then!) 7110's in a year or so.

Thank Post
    Anyone else using them live yet or are you all still testing?
    Gradually moving more and more stuff onto them, have all the main shares on them and now have two year groups home directories across and I am really impressed with the performance. Have had a few periods this week where all the ICT suites were logging in on accounts on one of these boxes, so about 300+ machines and the status page Sun symbols only moved from 'sunny' to 'partially cloudy' on disks and CIFS!
    The new firmware update is working really well, especially the shadow copy integration with the windows previous versions client. Works so much better than on our old Windows 2003 Servers which would randomly just decide to dump all the shadow copies just as you needed them.

5. Thanks to teejay from:

Hebdenlad (8th May 2009)

Thank Post
    The new simulator for both VMWare and VirtualBox (Q2.2009) has turned up on the Sun Download Area here.

7. 2 Thanks to kmount:

Butuz (12th May 2009), Hebdenlad (10th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    The new simulator for both VMWare and VirtualBox (Q2.2009) has turned up on the Sun Download Area here.
    Kim,

Many thanks for the posting. Beat me to it!!

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Ooh have not used the Sim yet. Downloading now!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Ooh have not used the Sim yet. Downloading now!

Butuz
    Butuz,

How did you go on with the simulator?

Regards,

Phil

11. Thanks to Hebdenlad from:

Butuz (12th May 2009)

Thank Post

Where is the S7000 going???

Hi there All,

I'm seeing an ever increasing number of requests to find out what the S7000 series will do next and wanted to make you aware as much as I can without breaking any corporate rules and regulations (i.e. keep my job!).

We have an extremely strong roadmap for the S7000 (in fact it's one of the strongest I've seen from any vendor in the past 15 years) and you will be shocked/amazed/gratified (or all three) when you see what's going to happen.

Now, to share this with you I need to sit down and run through the roadmap under (strict) NDA - this information is absolutely the crown jewels - and I am more than happy to travel to wherever you are and do just that.

Doing it this way for now will also give you an opportunity to ask me all those awkward niggly questions and get me to help you set up your boxes if you haven't done so already.

so, as it stands please come back to me with any questions. Stuff that is public domain I am more than happy to share on here for all to see. the NDA stuff has to be done sat in front (or to the side - makes no difference) of you.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Warmest regards,

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebdenlad View Post
    Butuz,

How did you go on with the simulator?

Regards,

Phil
    Hi I've downloaded it but have not got it running yet. There's a lot going on here at the mo!

Gonna slap it on an ESXi server today (or install VMWapre Player on my workstation!).

Will let you know!

Butuz

sjl
    Thank Post
    We are in the process of purchasing a 7110 and two x4140ís from cutter to replace our admin servers using ESXi. We were planning to use iSCSI but after talking to Andy from Cutter we will test NFS and compare with iSCSI. Also going to test fully virtualising SIMS - see how that runs.

I am still undecided on the setup of the LUNs on the SAN though. I donít know if to allocate the whole lot to one LUN and let ESXi use the whole lot for storing the images on VMFS, then use one of the VMs to present storage to the admin clients

The other option weíre thinking is to have a LUN for the VM images and create a storage LUN and use the iSCSI software initiator within Windows Server to connect to that storage.

Also we could create a LUN per Server but we are not planning on running too many VMs so I donít think we need to do that.

Just wondering what the rest of you are planning to do with regard to the LUNs on the 7110 series - Had a play with the simulator though that is really useful.

Weíre still undecided on a few other things too - like the SAN switches to use and iím in the middle of writing a new disaster recovery plan for this new setup so Iím a bit undecided on the numerous ways of protecting this setup.

We already have Symantec Backup exec 11d with the various agents so we are going to buy a cheap server with quite a bit of storage and attach a rack-mount LTO4 tape drive and do some Disk to Disk backups for static, non essential items and Backup to Tape important stuff like SIM DB, shared drives and User data then that can go off-site every night. The data on the disks will be backed up to removable storage every term and taken off site. We are also planning to backing up the VM images to disk for fast recovery of servers.

I would be interested to know how everyone else was planning on going about it.

Thank Post

Lost email from one of you....

Hi all,

I had an email from one of you about matching grant and for some reason it's been deleted (I'm sure it's not my fat fingers either).

so, in the interests of my sanity can the person please resend. I have an answer for you.

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    @ sjl, we're in the same position as you at the moment. We discussed the LUN issue with a supplier and they recomended a LUN for VM's and then one for your data, then use the iSCSI windows program to connect to the storage. I'm still undecided but will have some time to test with the hardware soon. Let us know what you decide.

As for backup I think we're going to go with some sort of disk2disk to tape solution. The superloader 3 will probably feature.

Quantum SuperLoader 3 LTO-3 8 slot Autoloader - Misco.co.uk

Thank Post
    @cookiemonster
    Be careful with the backup solution, really these boxes want backing up via NDMP, so you really need one that connects directly to one of the storage boxes. Not all backup software will backup windows shares on storage servers via the network.
    Think you can get a good deal on a Sun autoloader when buying with the 7110's, speak to Andy.
    Last edited by teejay; 12th May 2009 at 06:35 PM.

18. Thanks to teejay from:

Hebdenlad (13th May 2009)

Thank Post
    I was told that we can use Backup Exec 12 to backup the VMs via remote agents. Is that not the case?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast