+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Originally Posted by Butuz Am I being ultra thick here - or is that page still linking to the actual ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Am I being ultra thick here - or is that page still linking to the actual firmware upgrade for the 7000 series rather than the vmware simulator?

or is the sim included in the firmware update?

Cheers

Butuz
    Guys,

Apologies for this. Jumped the gun a bit here.... We have the internal link here and we ae pushing to get it out in the public domain. for those that need / want it sooner let me know your address and contact details via private message and I'll burn one on to a CD and send i off.

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Guys,

just a note to say the the 4TB 7110 did not make the Matching Grant List

PM me if you need some more info and we can see what options we can come up with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linescanner View Post
    Guys,

just a note to say the the 4TB 7110 did not make the Matching Grant List

PM me if you need some more info and we can see what options we can come up with.
    I'm trying to find out why it didn't make the list and see if there's any way it can be added.

What would help me is a show of hands from you guys on here as to how many of you would buy a S7110 4TB if it was on matching grant.

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Hello,

I most definitely would do!

Rob

5. Thanks to robknowles from:

Hebdenlad (6th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebdenlad View Post
    I'm trying to find out why it didn't make the list and see if there's any way it can be added.

What would help me is a show of hands from you guys on here as to how many of you would buy a S7110 4TB if it was on matching grant.

Cheers,

Phil

I am not 100% certain what the effect of the "matching grant" would be on price, but we are very pleased to hear that the 4TB version was coming out as we felt that the 2TB was going to be too small for us. The 4TB versionn at the right price will be a very difficult offer to refuse.

Jonathan

7. Thanks to ArchersIT from:

Hebdenlad (6th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchersIT View Post
    I am not 100% certain what the effect of the "matching grant" would be on price, but we are very pleased to hear that the 4TB version was coming out as we felt that the 2TB was going to be too small for us. The 4TB versionn at the right price will be a very difficult offer to refuse.

Jonathan
    Hi,

Can i ask does the 4TB version uses SAS 15K or 10K disks? The problem is the capacity of the disks really because by the time you setup decent amoutn of raid protection i.e. raid 6 with DP or similar the 4TB is gone and will probably be down to 2.5 to 3Tb (usuable) at best.

TIA,

Ash.
    Last edited by spc-rocket; 6th May 2009 at 08:21 PM.

9. Thanks to spc-rocket from:

Hebdenlad (6th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebdenlad View Post

Cheers,

Phil
    Only if the Nehalems have made it on too, seeing as they are available on the US matching grant already. Not seen the updated list yet though. No Nehalems, no Sun atm (it'll be Dells!)

11. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Hebdenlad (6th May 2009)

Thank Post
    I too am a bit worried that 2tb per box is not going to be enough for the next 5 years and can make a good case for going for the 4tb one instead of the 2tb one. As long as it is not massiveley more expensive. Will be looking to buy through Cutter next week.

Also Phil - while your on "matching grant hero" duties - if you could get an Ultra 24 put on to matching grant (dual or quad core, not to fussed really!) - I and I am sure others would be looking to buy lots of them too! Already going to be buying servers storage and monitors - so why not make it the whole range!

Will be buying at least two servers - if as DMcCoy suggests the Nehalems can be put on MG - I can make a good environemental case for moving to them too.

All I need now is to negotiate matching grant on hot dogs from the canteen and I will be one very happy bunny!

Butuz
    Last edited by Butuz; 6th May 2009 at 10:16 PM.

13. Thanks to Butuz from:

Hebdenlad (6th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robknowles View Post
    Hello,

I most definitely would do!

Rob
    Cheers!

I'll add you to the list

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Only if the Nehalems have made it on too, seeing as they are available on the US matching grant already. Not seen the updated list yet though. No Nehalems, no Sun atm (it'll be Dells!)
    I'll ask the question to see what we can get added to Matching Grant.

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    I too am a bit worried that 2tb per box is not going to be enough for the next 5 years and can make a good case for going for the 4tb one instead of the 2tb one. As long as it is not massiveley more expensive. Will be looking to buy through Cutter next week.

Also Phil - while your on "matching grant hero" duties - if you could get an Ultra 24 put on to matching grant (dual or quad core, not to fussed really!) - I and I am sure others would be looking to buy lots of them too! Already going to be buying servers storage and monitors - so why not make it the whole range!

Will be buying at least two servers - if as DMcCoy suggests the Nehalems can be put on MG - I can make a good environemental case for moving to them too.

All I need now is to negotiate matching grant on hot dogs from the canteen and I will be one very happy bunny!

Butuz
    Butuz,

Thanks for the posting. I'll see what can be added to the Matching Grant list - mind you, I'm on the storage side of the business... those servers are just bits of tin really

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Hi,

Can i ask does the 4TB version uses SAS 15K or 10K disks? The problem is the capacity of the disks really because by the time you setup decent amoutn of raid protection i.e. raid 6 with DP or similar the 4TB is gone and will probably be down to 2.5 to 3Tb (usuable) at best.

TIA,

Ash.
    the up and coming S7110 4TB will use the 300GB SAS 10k drives. This will give you roughly 4TB RAW and then RAID down to lower capacities once you have decided on your RAID level. Remember when you're configuring your S7000 (and simulator) you determine what combination of Availability, Capacity and Performance suits your needs and click on the commit button to configure once you have decided. Easy or what?

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchersIT View Post

Jonathan
    In terms of commercials on the S7000 I'm probably not the expert (Andy is good on that) but I reckon the matching grant would bring the price difference down from £9.9k to not much more than the £4.3k that the 2TB one is pitched at. The matching grant prices are based on list price as far as I am aware though.

Cheers,

Phil

19. Thanks to Hebdenlad from:

m1ddy (7th May 2009)

Thank Post
    As discussed through other channels, sufficient arm-twisting and pleading might get me 4TB instead of the 2TB. So you can include me as a "would probably purchase the 4TB if it gets included in matching grant".

Thank Post
    We would be very interested I'm checking the budget and should be able to proceed.

We will be using it connected to 2 Sun X4150 servers and using XenServer 5, we know that Xenserver works with the current 2Tb model will the 4Tb model be identical other than the amount of storage? Our Xen supplier says it can be sensetive to change.

Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast