+ Post New Thread
Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Heh, so apparently not as simple as I'd thought... Apparently we're going to have to work on this bug that ...
    Thank Post
    Heh, so apparently not as simple as I'd thought...

Apparently we're going to have to work on this bug that sjl mentioned earlier - Bug ID: 6902902 ZFS should support a default setting for user/group quotas

Unfortunately this bug still refers to user based quotas rather than folder based quotas, which I do not think is the best way.

For example: a default quota of 200MB is set for all users in a share. This share is used for home directories, meaning all the users of that share can only put 200MB each in their home directory. Now imagine a teacher is given write access to that share because they need to be able to put 50MB of 'preparatory work' in each user's folder. Once they have done 4 folders (4x50MB = 200MB) they will hit the quota limit and be unable to add any more data.

Now, there are workarounds for this, where the teacher could be given their own specific quota that gave them 50MB x <number of home directories> which would let them put in all the data. However, say lots of teachers needed to be able to do this - each one would need adding manually, and given a bigger quota when they needed to add more data. Again, this could be worked around by adding the data using a script run under an administrative account that had no quota, etc. etc. My point is, all of this requires extra management that the folder-based FSRM-style quota approach doesn't.

Regarding the post above - apparently you cannot just email Sun and add your support to a feature request. You need to log a support case with Oracle/Sun (during which it will be confirmed you have a valid support contract) and describe the issues you have with current quotas and that you think 6902902 (even if it's how I've described it) should be given attention. I understand that this is more work than originally planned and understand most of you wouldn't be willing to go through this unless the problem affects you personally.

EDIT - Working on submitting my own FRE, will update later.

Thanks anyway,

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 6th August 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Whoop, got there in the end with my own RFE. Apologies for the triple-post, I'll be quiet now!

1) DOCS - Documentation for FSRM-style quotas on S7000 (PDF)

2) FEATURE REQUEST REFERENCE - RFE 6975235

3) PROCEDURE - Call Sun Support and raise a new case (Service Request / SR) during which they will confirm you have a valid support contract > Explain you have an issue with the way quotas work on the S7000, and that you are aware of RFE 6975235 > Ask to be added to RFE 6975235 and tell them you are supporting it.

Cheers!

Chris

Thank Post
    Update on Domain Joining with 2008 R2 servers:
    If you are decommissioning old DC's, demote them, switch them off and delete from AD. Also go thorugh every section in your DNS and make sure any reference to them has been removed, especially in the _msdcs sections. Also check through AD mmc consoles that they are not still in as an operation master or a global catalogue. Check using dcdiag that everything is working properly.
    Once this is done, go onto the S7000 web interface, in the Active Directory service select Join Workgroup to take the S7000 out of the domain. Delete the S7000 account in AD and restart the CIFS service on the S7000 and then rejoin the domain through the Active Directory service. Check that an account has been created in Active Directory. All should work fine now :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Update on Domain Joining with 2008 R2 servers:
    If you are decommissioning old DC's, demote them, switch them off and delete from AD. Also go thorugh every section in your DNS and make sure any reference to them has been removed, especially in the _msdcs sections. Also check through AD mmc consoles that they are not still in as an operation master or a global catalogue. Check using dcdiag that everything is working properly.
    Once this is done, go onto the S7000 web interface, in the Active Directory service select Join Workgroup to take the S7000 out of the domain. Delete the S7000 account in AD and restart the CIFS service on the S7000 and then rejoin the domain through the Active Directory service. Check that an account has been created in Active Directory. All should work fine now :-)
    Also, as I found out very painfully to my cost last week (and kmount on here can confirm) make sure that you are on the VERY latest software from Oracle as that has fixed masses of 2008 R2 issues, mine just joined straight away no fuss no messing etc ONCE I had upgraded to the latest software as I was running near enough a year behind on it.

Thank Post
    Yes, that does help, what lan manager compatibility mode are you running on in CIFS? Got ours on 2 at the moment, with smb signing off and also turned off on the servers, just wondering if you've got it working with LM 5 and signing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Yes, that does help, what lan manager compatibility mode are you running on in CIFS? Got ours on 2 at the moment, with smb signing off and also turned off on the servers, just wondering if you've got it working with LM 5 and signing.
    I think its 2 but im not at work this week to check, its probably 2 if im honest as I was trying to avoid upgrading the firmware on the unit due to past bad experiences doing so.

Thank Post
    Oh we always have fun don't we John.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Oh we always have fun don't we John.
    Yup we do don't we But as ever your support Kim was amazing and shows how much its worth using people such as yourself at Cutter for supplying it as your help was just what was needed as we tired checking a lot of things before we had to resort to the Oracle that is well I guess Oracle lol

Thank Post
    Hey - is anyone using ABE (Access Based Enumeration) on the S7000?

An option which, when enabled, performs access-based enumeration. Access-based enumeration filters directory entries based on the credentials of the client. When the client does not have access to a file or directory, that file will be omitted from the list of entries returned to the client. This option is not enabled by default.

Is there any performance overhead and has anyone run into any issues with enabling it?

Many thanks,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Works fine, had no problems with it and no overhead problems. Had a few 'where have all the folders gone!' moments from staff, but they soon got used to it.

11. Thanks to teejay from:

Duke (23rd August 2010)

Thank Post
    Awesome, cheers!

It should mean that if students happen to find the root share for profiles or userspaces they'll only see their own home folder. They don't have permissions to get into any of the other folders anyway, but it never hurt to hide things even more...

Thank Post
    replace bad Hdd
    and 5 days status replacing,
    how long wait end of process?

and
    Scrub status 0.1% done (-3259h 51m) hmmm
    restart storage yesterday after install update

Thank Post
    The time usually starts to drop down quite quickly once it gets going. I've had statuses that said a couple of days at the start but finished in around 12 hours.

Thank Post
    insert new HDD
    the indicators LED green and yelow
    and in active problems *The device storage1/HDD10 has failed or could not be opened*

what it means ??

Thank Post
    Have you got something in the event log about it recognising the new disk being inserted? Is it an Oracle/Sun branded disk with the correct firmware?

Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread