+ Post New Thread
Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Originally Posted by teejay I can test replication, that is the setup I am looking at doing, so its on ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    I can test replication, that is the setup I am looking at doing, so its on my list but may take me a couple of weeks as I'm a bit snowed under!
    No rush, but I that'd be really appreciated if you could!

I know the S7000 stuff is VMware certified, if anyone who has any contacts at Sun is reading this, could clustering/replication be tested and confirmed so we all know where we stand and what the best practices are?

Chris

Thank Post
    Reply from one of the Sun guys regarding running VMs on a clustered head:

In the case of the 7310 failing, yes, the NFS service will resume on the surviving node after the appropriate takeover delay (depends on # of disk sets, shares, services configured on the 7000). The VM will experience a pause as the service is transferred over. Most VMs can be configured to handle a 60-120 second delay without too much issue (say 2 JBODs on any one 7310 head in an active/active config to be comfortable with that 60-120 sec takeover), however, applications running *inside* the VM may or may not be able to handle that sort of pause, it would depend on the apps.
    I'm not sure this would provide 'faultless' service? As mentioned, it would depend on the specific setup so this probably needs to be tested further I guess.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Small note to other users, if one is having a blonde moment (or senior moment however you prefer to term it), and assign your SANs static IP to another device by accident, said S7110 has a BIG sulk, and responds to ping's and web-interface access but refuses to serve files until its had a hard reboot and then decides it wishes to serve its gracious masters with files

4. Thanks to john from:

Duke (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    I apologize for being late to the game here.

I'm interested in a 7110 for our company SAN. I'd like to use it for iSCSI storage for my VMWare VM's as well as CIFS shares. To top it off, I'd like to be able to back up the whole SAN to something like a Quantum Superloader (Something like D2D2T).

Is this possible with the 7110? What other additional hardware considerations would I need to visit? We have about 1TB of data right now, so I'd like room to grow. I'd imagine we have a backup window of something like 8-9 hours to run the tape and with the "small" amount of data we are storing now I can get that done in that window, right?

If I wanted to back up the SAN to tape, would I need an external SAS/SCSI card for the 7110 to hook it to the SuperLoader?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    I apologize for being late to the game here.

I'm interested in a 7110 for our company SAN. I'd like to use it for iSCSI storage for my VMWare VM's as well as CIFS shares. To top it off, I'd like to be able to back up the whole SAN to something like a Quantum Superloader (Something like D2D2T).

Is this possible with the 7110? What other additional hardware considerations would I need to visit? We have about 1TB of data right now, so I'd like room to grow. I'd imagine we have a backup window of something like 8-9 hours to run the tape and with the "small" amount of data we are storing now I can get that done in that window, right?

If I wanted to back up the SAN to tape, would I need an external SAS/SCSI card for the 7110 to hook it to the SuperLoader?
    I would not use iSCSI for the VMs, you will get much better performance over NFS.

How many VM servers and how many uses is the next question.

Back up cards available are

* Dual Channel 4Gb FC HBA
    * Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA

You would need something NDMP v3/v4 capable to do the backups

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linescanner View Post
    I would not use iSCSI for the VMs, you will get much better performance over NFS.

How many VM servers and how many uses is the next question.

Back up cards available are

* Dual Channel 4Gb FC HBA
    * Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA

You would need something NDMP v3/v4 capable to do the backups

Right now it's just 1 VM server (2 guests inside it). How is NFS faster than iSCSI? Is that something unique to the 7xxx series from Sun?

I'll check on NDMP capabilities on the Quantum Superloaders.

Thank Post
    Right now it's just 1 VM server (2 guests inside it). How is NFS faster than iSCSI? Is that something unique to the 7xxx series from Sun?

I'll check on NDMP capabilities on the Quantum Superloaders.

Trust me NFS performance using VMware is faster than iSCSI on the 7000 series.

iSCSI is getting faster now it has gone to COMSTAR but NFS is still faster.

9. Thanks to linescanner from:

Mindflux (17th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Trust me NFS performance using VMware is faster than iSCSI on the 7000 series.

iSCSI is getting faster now it has gone to COMSTAR but NFS is still faster.
    Alright cool.

So, what I'm trying to do (above) should be reasonably feasible? Am I checking for NDMP compatibility with the backup software or the superloader itself? I think Quantum uses Backup Exec Quickstart?

Thank Post
    Alright cool.

So, what I'm trying to do (above) should be reasonably feasible? Am I checking for NDMP compatibility with the backup software or the superloader itself? I think Quantum uses Backup Exec Quickstart?

The VM stuff yeah. Just need to make sure that you are not going to stress the disks on the 7110.

If the combination of VMS and CIFS shares is high IO intensive then you need to be careful.

We have quite a few 7110 in the wild and they handle quite a bit

Thank Post
    The VM stuff yeah. Just need to make sure that you are not going to stress the disks on the 7110.

If the combination of VMS and CIFS shares is high IO intensive then you need to be careful.

We have quite a few 7110 in the wild and they handle quite a bit

What happens under high IO? We're a small shop (30 employees). I doubt we'd tax the thing that hard.

Thanks for your lightning fast help.

Thank Post
    What happens under high IO? We're a small shop (30 employees). I doubt we'd tax the thing that hard.
    In theory your performance will drop off if you absolutely hammer the device with IO, and your VMs and CIFS shares will suffer accordingly. As Andy said, there's a lot of 7110's out there now and a lot of people using them with more than 30 users.

NFS is definitely better than iSCSI currently, but in many ways it's actually a better protocol as well as having better performance. You'll get thin provisioning by default with NFS, plus the 7110 will give you better analytics as it's a file-level protocol rather than block-level. Lots of long time iSCSI users are now moving to NFS for VMware, it's not just a Sun thing.

What are your VMs doing, and what kind of data will the CIFS share have on it? I've got a 7410 (granted, quite a bit more powerful than the 7410) with 800 users and a few VMs, growing to 20-30 VMs next summer, and I don't foresee any problems.

Chris

Thank Post
    We currrently have 8 VM's two of which are file servers that hold all of our user folders for 1500 users. This is all provided via iSCSI from a 7110 and it has no problems with performance.

We might look at NFS at one point I was just more comfortable with iSCSI at the time. Remember to get your networking setup to secure your NFS shares as it has no default security. VLAN and seperate IP network.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/security.html
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 18th November 2009 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

What are your VMs doing, and what kind of data will the CIFS share have on it? I've got a 7410 (granted, quite a bit more powerful than the 7410) with 800 users and a few VMs, growing to 20-30 VMs next summer, and I don't foresee any problems.

Chris

CIFS shares are just word/excel. My SBS 2008 VM does Exchange (for those same 30 users) and currently has my CIFS shares on it. It also does Sharepoint and WSUS.

The second VM is Server 2008 with our SQL Business database on it. This is the VM I probably care more about, and the only role this VM has is to serve up our data.

Thank Post
    CIFS shares are just word/excel. My SBS 2008 VM does Exchange (for those same 30 users) and currently has my CIFS shares on it. It also does Sharepoint and WSUS.

The second VM is Server 2008 with our SQL Business database on it. This is the VM I probably care more about, and the only role this VM has is to serve up our data.
    7110 should be more than enough for you guys

Thank Post
    7110 should be more than enough for you guys
    It also provides some other network shares I forgot to mention, but it's still of no consequence I don't think.

Now to find a reputable reseller

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread