+ Post New Thread
Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Just found a "The service processor needs to be reset to ensure proper functioning" sat in the "Problems" tab on ...

Thank Post
    Just found a "The service processor needs to be reset to ensure proper functioning" sat in the "Problems" tab on our 7110.

Also discovered that the root password isn't being accepted in the bui or gui.

a) are the two related in any way? I suspect not, but y'know.
    b) is there any way to reset the root password that doesn't involve swapping the jumper over or otherwise redoing the config?

I can still log in as root via the ILO, but I suspect that won't let me change the other root password, right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    You are unable to cluster a pair 7310/7410 between two computer rooms. There is a number of limitations for S7000 clustering.
    Well... nuts. I assumed clustering would be bandwidth intensive but I figured a 10Gb feed would cover it. I hadn't looked into it that closely yet and didn't realise it was over SAS rather than Ethernet/Fibre.

Sooo... two clustered heads in each site with replication between the two sites. Four heads in total... time to start playing the lottery maybe?

Pete - Presumably you had a different account on the 7110 to allow you to get to the problems page? I had that same error once, clicked the 'fix' button and it just resolved itself with no downtime. Not sure if it would affect the root password but when I had that problem I could still log into the BUI as root. You could probably reset the password from the low-level shell but it's unsupported so Sun would need to do it. Best option would probably be to submit a case - 0870 600 3222.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Sooo... two clustered heads in each site with replication between the two sites. Four heads in total... time to start playing the lottery maybe?

Pete - Presumably you had a different account on the 7110 to allow you to get to the problems page? I had that same error once, clicked the 'fix' button and it just resolved itself with no downtime. Not sure if it would affect the root password but when I had that problem I could still log into the BUI as root. You could probably reset the password from the low-level shell but it's unsupported so Sun would need to do it. Best option would probably be to submit a case - 0870 600 3222.
    Yeah, the account that can see the problem doesn't have the rights to fix it.

I'm pretty damn sure (95%) that I'm entering the right root password (X or a slight varitation on X) and I've tried it with different browsers and workstations, just in case. ILO has a separate root account to the main root account as far as I can see.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Yeah, the account that can see the problem doesn't have the rights to fix it.

I'm pretty damn sure (95%) that I'm entering the right root password (X or a slight varitation on X) and I've tried it with different browsers and workstations, just in case. ILO has a separate root account to the main root account as far as I can see.
    Have you tried a console connection login.
    Login to iLOM as root
    sp> start /SP/console
    Andy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    Have you tried a console connection login.
    Login to iLOM as root
    sp> start /SP/console
    Andy
    IIRC (was last night when I checked), I get prompted for a root password that isn't the same as the ILO one.

Thank Post
    Well... nuts. I assumed clustering would be bandwidth intensive but I figured a 10Gb feed would cover it. I hadn't looked into it that closely yet and didn't realise it was over SAS rather than Ethernet/Fibre.

I suspected that clustering could only happen over very short distances but apaton's confirmed it for me now . I supose you could always get away with "only" 3 7410/7310 heads...or 2 7410 heads/1 7310. Have the main selection clustered and with enough JBOD's to give you no single point of failure, replication to a 7410/7310 in the backup server room.

Still talking lots of £££ though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    I suspected that clustering could only happen over very short distances but apaton's confirmed it for me now . I supose you could always get away with "only" 3 7410/7310 heads...or 2 7410 heads/1 7310. Have the main selection clustered and with enough JBOD's to give you no single point of failure, replication to a 7410/7310 in the backup server room.

Still talking lots of £££ though
    Indeed, I mean it's still a lot better than having one Windows server holding everything, but proper real-time clustering between two heads and sets of JBODs in different areas of the site would be ideal. Doesn't look like I can do it on the cheap though!

I go back to my question on the Cutter forums then: How do the big players handle this? Google use GFS and are different to most, but what about Amazon, Microsoft, BBC, etc? They must be using SANs in some form, and probably a lot of them. One's got to fail eventually, how do they handle that with no downtime or dataloss?

Chris

Thank Post
    Indeed, I mean it's still a lot better than having one Windows server holding everything, but proper real-time clustering between two heads and sets of JBODs in different areas of the site would be ideal. Doesn't look like I can do it on the cheap though!

I go back to my question on the Cutter forums then: How do the big players handle this? Google use GFS and are different to most, but what about Amazon, Microsoft, BBC, etc? They must be using SANs in some form, and probably a lot of them. One's got to fail eventually, how do they handle that with no downtime or dataloss?

Chris
    Gonna call

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linescanner View Post
    Gonna call
    Ghostbusters?

Sorry...

Thank Post
    I'd be interested to hear how well VMs handle a fallover in a cluster to a different head unit as well. Looking at the 7310/7410 with clustering in the next 12-24 months and being able to survive a head unit dying is one of the questions I had

Thank Post
    In theory that should be fine. Clustering in the most general sense suggests the two heads will handle any failures with no downtime as they're kept in sync, so you shouldn't notice any issues with half of a cluster going down as that would defeat the purpose.

I had a chat with Andy and I've sent a couple of questions over to Phil at Sun regarding clustering and replication, I'll let you know what he says when I get a reply.

Chris

12. Thanks to Duke from:

Soulfish (13th November 2009)

Thank Post
    In theory that should be fine. Clustering in the most general sense suggests the two heads will handle any failures with no downtime as they're kept in sync, so you shouldn't notice any issues with half of a cluster going down as that would defeat the purpose.

I had a chat with Andy and I've sent a couple of questions over to Phil at Sun regarding clustering and replication, I'll let you know what he says when I get a reply.

Chris
    That's what I suspected, but if someones actually run some tests on it that would be great to know

Thank Post
    Not a simple problem to solve, even with two well connected computer rooms. Issues with split-brain services never mind storage availability and the need for quorum devices.

The best answer is typically mirroring between multiple storage units. VMWARE ESX doesn't have mirroring which is most frustrating. So relies on dual controllers in the storage or network/SAN based mirroring. (FalconStor's IPstor, IBM's SVC)

OS's like Windows, Solaris, AIX and Linux have mirroring between devices (VxVM,SVM,LVM,mdtool), so if one mirrors fails the other is instantly available. This give you many more options in the design of storage, including mirroring between sites over dark fibre.

Another question to ask, "VMWARE will cope quite happily with failovers, but does the VM/Application ?". Test Test Testing........

Andy
    Last edited by apaton; 13th November 2009 at 05:41 PM.

15. Thanks to apaton from:

Duke (16th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    I'd be interested to hear how well VMs handle a fallover in a cluster to a different head unit as well. Looking at the 7310/7410 with clustering in the next 12-24 months and being able to survive a head unit dying is one of the questions I had
    I think we need to find someone with a couple of S7000's they can set up and test with VMs for both clustering and replication. It doesn't look like anyone has done any extensive testing out there yet and Phil at Sun was unable to 100% confirm my question able replication.

Is there anyone out there with spare hardware that can test this for us?

Clustering
    Two clustered heads with JBOD storage
    VMs running from the storage
    Kill one of the heads, is there any downtime or instability in the running VMs?
    Main interest is with NFS and ESX?

Replication
    Two separate heads and JBODs
    VMs running from one box replicated to the other
    Synchronous and scheduled replication configured between the two SANs
    If primary storage unit is killed and replication target brought online, what state are the VMs in?
    Main interest is with NFS and ESX again?

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    I can test replication, that is the setup I am looking at doing, so its on my list but may take me a couple of weeks as I'm a bit snowed under!

18. Thanks to teejay from:

Duke (16th November 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread