+ Post New Thread
Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Originally Posted by john Hi Chris, I set my shares up on the SAN as everyone full control them re-set ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Hi Chris, I set my shares up on the SAN as everyone full control them re-set them all in Windows by doing \\SAN then right click on the share and set them manually.

I have on my student areas a group for staff and gave them special permisisons for read and execute everything from that folder down inc sub folders and files and it seemed to work fine on my testing, staff don't know they have this access, I put it in place so it was there for if needed was my idea rather than having to re-tweak them. I would screenshot but awaiting my box to come back up from the Q3.1.0 software which has the fix in for my crashing problem

Haven't noticed the share permissions on mine but will check in the morning for you....
    Cheers mate, much appreciated! I forgot I could set security settings on the top-level share through Windows as long as it's not a hidden share. Looks like that'll probably be my best option currently.

If you could have a look at the share permissions that'd be really handy. Maybe it's just me but it was a bit odd.

EDIT: Looks like the doc apaton pointed to agrees with you:

Therefore, ACLs should be managed at either the filesystem level or the share level, but not both. To simplify management of the Sun Storage 7000 Unified Storage System in a pure Windows environment, it is recommended to set both the share-level permissions and filesystem-level permissions to full control for everyone, and then manage the individual permissions from a Windows client.
    Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 2nd October 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Interesting thread comparing NetApp and Sun storage here on the Ars forums: NetApp or Sun Storage

A lot of people playing with serious hardware frequent those forums so it's nice to see Sun being generally recommended over the NetApp solutions. Time for NetApp to reconsider their licensing prices...?

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Thought I would post here, the new software seems to have cured the bug I had with the last release, no crashes all day Yay! Monday will be a 2nd day of testing, although the full backups of all data on it over the weekend should give it a good test as well so we will see what happens on Monday before counting all the chickens.

Did you get your permissions sorted Chris from the guide book or do you want a screenshot still?

4. Thanks to john from:

Duke (5th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Thought I would post here, the new software seems to have cured the bug I had with the last release, no crashes all day Yay! Monday will be a 2nd day of testing, although the full backups of all data on it over the weekend should give it a good test as well so we will see what happens on Monday before counting all the chickens.

Did you get your permissions sorted Chris from the guide book or do you want a screenshot still?
    Thanks for the update, sounds good to me (except the BE issue you noted elsewhere)! Assuming nothing comes up then I'll do the upgrade on Thursday or Friday I think. I haven't got around to doing the permissions completely yet but I think I'll go through what the Sun doc recommends so I know I'm following the best practices. Since they say to do root OR share I'll probably leave the reset share permissions as-is, double-check my root permissions, then use a Windows box to set up the rest.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. Thanks to Duke from:

john (5th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Is anyone else responding to the latest bout of HP salespeople with "Sun will give me two servers for the price of one and a half-price san, what can you offer me?"

None of them have stepped up to match the offer yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Is anyone else responding to the latest bout of HP salespeople with "Sun will give me two servers for the price of one and a half-price san, what can you offer me?"

None of them have stepped up to match the offer yet.
    Haha, good times... I'm not in a buying position until next summer, but I'm going to guess Dell won't be able to match that. Even without the BOGOF the Dell R710 with 48GB RAM came out as more expensive than the equivalent Sun box.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Not had that call, but that would be interesting as I'm hoping next financial year to replace 3 servers that are all hobbling around the place, so any offers for those would be welcome

Thank Post
    I tried the shadow filesystem migration for the first time on the 7110 this morning (create share, specify which NFS mount to migrate it from during share setup) and it fails with an error of: "Data migration source: Failed to mount filesystem"

The NFS mountpoint is available read-only (as per the migration doc) and mounts fine on another system. It's on an OpenFiler 2.3 box at servername:/mnt/folder1/folder2/folder3 and my mount line in the BUI is servername:/mnt/folder1/folder2/folder3

I've tried swapping hostname for IP without any success. There aren't any restrictions on the openfiler box that would prevent the 7110 mounting the share (bunch of .isos and random junk used to test how quickly migration works). Looking in the logs on the Openfiler, the 7110 attempts to do a lookup and never attempts to mount the share:

Attempted mount from 7110
    Code:
    Oct  9 09:33:31 openFiler nmbd[3500]: [2009/10/09 09:33:31,  0] nmbd/nmbd_namequery.c:query_name_response(108) 
    Oct  9 09:33:31 openfiler nmbd[3500]:   query_name_response: Multiple (2) responses received for a query on subnet OpenfilerServerIP for name DOMAINNAME<1d>. 
    Oct  9 09:33:31 openfiler nmbd[3500]:   This response was from IP 7110-IP, reporting an IP address of DOMAINCONTROLLERIP.
    Compare this with a successful mount from a linux server
    Code:
    Oct  9 09:06:57 openfiler mountd[14275]: authenticated mount request from linuxserverIP for /mnt/folder1/folder2/folder3 (/mnt/folder1/folder2/folder3)
    What am I missing here? Given the Openfiler box, linux server and 7110 pull dns from the same server I'm slightly baffled as to why it can't mount the share. I haven't tried the CLI yet.

Ok, CLI gives me:
    Code:
    littlerascal:shares XenStorage/openfiler-test (uncommitted)> commit
    error: invalid property value
           "nfs://servername/mnt/folder1/folder2/folder3" for "shadow":
           Failed to mount filesystem
    error: failed to commit changes
    Using the syntax example show in TFM.

And I'm on the latest firmware, which fixes the .zfs wierdness.
    Last edited by pete; 9th October 2009 at 10:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Does openfiler allow root mounts ?

The SS7000 probably mount the system as root. NFS root user has the lowest privileges unless specified.

Example NFS options are usually root=<ip of ss7000> or anon=0

Andy
    Last edited by apaton; 9th October 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Thank Post
    For people not moving to Q3 patch yet, Sun have released 2009.Q2.5.1

Sun Storage 7000 Series Software Updates - Fishworks - wikis.sun.com

Andy

Thank Post

14. Thanks to pete from:

Duke (3rd November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Whoop whoop, de-dupe!

Thank Post
    Yup, I have a stack of vm images with maybe 1-2Gb of differences each, so eagerly awaiting this. Plus availability of enterprise rated 2TB drives + ZFS dedupe makes me much happier about rebuilding the backup server.

Thank Post
    Looking forward to dedpue

Thank Post
    Has anyone got any docs / whitepapers / blueprints on the recommended network configuration of the S7000 in different environments? I've just got a single 1Gb feed going to my 7410 right now and it's handling the current load fine, but I need to start planning for heavy CIFS use, medium NFS VM use plus maintaining performance of the web interface.

I'm thinking:

• 2x 1Gb trunk on a public (i.e. same as rest of network) IP address for clients directly accessing CIFS shares
    • 1x 1Gb feed on a private IP range that ESXi boxes will talk to via VMkernel for NFS access to VMs
    • 1x 1Gb for access to the BUI should CIFS usage get really heavy or the trunk fail

How do people normally handle this with regards to hostnames and DNS? Would I give the IP of the trunk feed the same name in DNS as my current single feed has, then make a new DNS entry called something like 'sanmgmt' for the single feed I want to use the BUI over, and just put that 'sanmgmt' name into my browser?

The VMware/NFS feed will be on a private IP range so should I just specify this and access to the ESXi boxes via IP address rather than hostname?

EDIT: Also, anyone got any suggestions/advice on handling redundant cabling, so Port 1 on Device A goes to Switch 1, Port 2 on Device A goes to Switch 2, Switch 1 and Switch 2 are interconnected, and Switch 1 and Switch 2 are both connected to separate ports on Device B, so that there's no single point of failure? Kind of like this, although I'm sure you know what I mean. How do you normally handle the IP addressing and hostnames for something like that?

Cheers!
    Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 3rd November 2009 at 03:45 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread