+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; We'll be using ours on iSCSI. I'll remember the tip on updating the firmware....
    Thank Post
    We'll be using ours on iSCSI. I'll remember the tip on updating the firmware.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I'm using mine for iSCSI, CIFS and NFS... I don't do things by halves

Procurve for me too - the 2510G on the main one and a 4104gl on the second. I'm using LACP port aggregation - oh the fun I had before updating the 7110s firmware!
    How's the multipathing working for you? (if you're using it?).

Don't suppose you've benchmarked NFS vs iSCSI under Xen have you? (Budget allowing, I'm eyeing up 2510Gs as well).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I'm using mine for iSCSI, CIFS and NFS... I don't do things by halves

Procurve for me too - the 2510G on the main one and a 4104gl on the second. I'm using LACP port aggregation - oh the fun I had before updating the 7110s firmware!
    Was this bios firmware or the storage software update? If it was the bios, where did you get it from?

Thank Post
    I also have one of these units and I'm very impressed so easy to setup and the software on the unit is brilliant! Speed so far I haven’t even scratched the surface as my current switch isn’t up to the job.
    The build quality of the server itself seems very good also and some nice guides to get you up and running in no time.

Will defiantly be purchasing a second unit (from Cutter) in the summer along with some JBOS to expand on the storage, also need to look at a better dedicated ISCSI switch so any recommendations welcomed!

Thank Post
    Just setting up our new 7110 today and I have to agree with everyone else just how easy it is to use and configure!

Now I just need to set up the Sun Fire X4150's we've got and install Citrix XenServer on them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    How's the multipathing working for you? (if you're using it?).

Don't suppose you've benchmarked NFS vs iSCSI under Xen have you? (Budget allowing, I'm eyeing up 2510Gs as well).
    @pete, the NFS has not been done by us or Sun on Xen, but has on VMWare.

NFS is very very quick using the 7000 series, it also has another advantage that the analytics provided by NFS mounts is more in depth than under iSCSi (which is still good)

Andy

Thank Post
    Someone mentioned a video about the 7110 can you point me to it?

Thank Post
    Hi there Cookie Monster,

I'm not sure which video was referenced earlier but figured I'd share a link I've found really useful!

Sun Wiki Link

Also some direct video links that were quite cool:

Hardware Overview Part 1

Hardware Overview Part 2

Hardware Overview Part 3

Thank Post
    I'll take a look cheers Kim.

Also found a simulator

Sun Storage 7000 Unified Storage Systems - Amber Road Resources

Thank Post
    The Simulator is fantastic!

Thank Post
    We are currently looking at implementing a SAN solution here. Trouble is im a bit confuzzled about how it all works, having no experience with them at all.

From what I can see, we have 2 choices of fabric. Fibre or iSCSI. iSCSI being the cheapest and most likely the one we will go for. We then have a choice of thousands of different solutions. ARGHHWGBNJSBGN!!111

The sun solution above does look nice and the price is appealing. I just need to understand a bit more on how it all links together.

We will be going virtual this year and want all our storage in the same place. We will be getting 2 (maybe 3) host machines (HP 380's 2xquad core xeon, 16gb ram). We will most likely be running VMWare ESXi (VI3 standard or enterprise, dunno yet) We would like all storage on all servers to be on the SAN.

SO...unless im being "special" we will need...

A SAN with iSCSI ports (I assume these are just normal NICs?)
    A switch for SAN traffic (Again, just a normal 1GB switch with a fast backplane?)
    Extra NICs on the hosts.

The hosts will most likely have 4-5 VMs on them. How many nics do you think I will need. I would like the keep the SAN traffic seperate to our main network. Does that mean I need say for example, 4 NICS for network traffic for the VMs and then say another 4 for SAN traffic between the VMs and the SAN.

Any pointers people can give me would be most appreciated. Been trying to get my head round SANS for days and with so many different vendors offering different solutions I feel like im going to fall over

Cheers Guys!
    Last edited by m1ddy; 28th April 2009 at 03:48 PM.

Thank Post
    @m1ddy,

drop me a PM and I can go through it in detail.

Essentially the Sun 7110 can talk both iSCSI and NFS (also CIFS and WebDAV).

You can use either iSCSI of NFS mounts to connect to your VMware host servers. There has been some work done on testing VMWare to 7000 series over NFS, the performance is lightning fast and provides some more in depth analytics than iSCSI. The iSCSI on the units is also very very good.

iSCSI runs over normal eth ports so nothing special. Make sure your switches handle teaming etc. I would recommend that the iSCSI mount ports are kept off your normal LAN and have clean feeds from host to storage.

If you are open to changing from the HP servers, the Sun do some stunning x86 servers that are Currently buy one get one free. This would also allow you to buy a 7110 at half price. If you do not buy x86 servers the 7110 is on edu promo.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    That's great to know. Currently looking at buying one of these (although given the conversation I had yesterday it may be turning into two!) later this week
    Hi there. My name is Phil Lawrence. I've been involved on the S7000 project here at Sun for almost a year. If you need any technical assistance then drop me a line on here. More than happy to help anyone who is looking at this...

Cheers,

Phil

14. 5 Thanks to Hebdenlad:

Butuz (29th April 2009), cookie_monster (29th April 2009), RobFuller (29th April 2009), Soulfish (29th April 2009), teejay (29th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Phil that's very good of you, as quite a few users on here have purchaced Sun SAN units of late it's nice of you to look in. We may be in touch.

Nice kit by the way

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebdenlad View Post
    Hi there. My name is Phil Lawrence. I've been involved on the S7000 project here at Sun for almost a year. If you need any technical assistance then drop me a line on here. More than happy to help anyone who is looking at this...

Cheers,

Phil
    We've actually gone ahead and bought a 7110 (along with some X4150's!) to use as our SAN. Haven't had a chance to fully set it up yet (no air conditioning means I'm not risking frying our lovely new equipment until we get it :P ) but what little I have seen is amazing

Actually I have to complement the phone home function - the UPS that one of the PSUs was connected to died while it was on, got an email from Sun to say an automatic support call had been logged and then an email from Sun support asking me to try and couple of things to see if we could find the problem. Nice to know that the support is there if we need it

One quick question I do have for you Phil, and I don't know if you'll be able to answer it, is the JBOD addons that have been talked about for the 7110. I have heard that they may not be available for this version of the 7110 - do you know what the current plans are, or are able to shed any light?

Thanks,

John

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast