+ Post New Thread
Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Originally Posted by john hehe, its sitting there making a bit noise (god they are loud!) in the Server Room ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    hehe, its sitting there making a bit noise (god they are loud!) in the Server Room The noise in the Gents loo is loud (it backs onto the gents loo does the server room), its having a contest with my 2U HP Proliant it sits under I think for who can make the most noise
    Funny you mention that, I've had a couple of people over here who have been testing either 7110's or 7210's and they've said they run fairly loud and warm - not worryingly so at all, but about what you'd expect from a SAN. However, the 7410 (and presumably the 7310) runs really cool and quiet comparatively, presumably due to the separate HDD chassis. My 7410 makes about half the noise of my NetApp FAS2020 and is one of the coolest running things in the server room. The front of the 7410 chassis is really cold to the touch and the air out the back of the J4400 is barely warm!

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    Phil rang me earlier and assaulted the 7110 with a cunning series of special moves until it relented it turns out that the default route in the network config was missing.
    Cool, glad you got it sorted mate! We've had various initial troubles with the SAN, but no more so than any new bit of hardware. Once it's up and running and you stop fiddling with settings it appears to be rock solid and fast as anything!

EDIT: New minor firmware release is out - http://wikis.sun.com/display/FishWor...+Release+Notes

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 12th August 2009 at 09:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Has anyone had any trouble getting a S7000 to join AD? We're in the process of moving to a new AD domain and despite changing the DNS servers that the 7110 is using and restarting services/restarting the 7110 it keeps giving me the error:

The specified domain controller could not be contacted, or the domain is invalid for the controller.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Has anyone had any trouble getting a S7000 to join AD? We're in the process of moving to a new AD domain and despite changing the DNS servers that the 7110 is using and restarting services/restarting the 7110 it keeps giving me the error:

The specified domain controller could not be contacted, or the domain is invalid for the controller.
    Have you got NTP running, or at least manually synced the clocks with a machine that gets its time from the AD server? Any firewalls set up on the AD machine? If you're moving to a new domain is it on the same IP range (and is the 7110's IP valid for that range) and have you tried specifying the server by IP address to rule out DNS issues?

Anyone know if there's a ping or traceroute utility on the CLI to check connectivity and name resolution?

Chris

4. Thanks to Duke from:

Soulfish (19th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Yep, seen this yesterday.

Try lowering the Lan Manager compatibility level to 2 under CIFS and if necessary set a specific DC as a preferred DC (only used prior to joining).

6. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Anyone know if there's a ping or traceroute utility on the CLI to check connectivity and name resolution?

Chris
    Ping and nslookup are on there for certain, not checked for traceroute.

8. Thanks to kmount from:

Duke (19th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Yes, traceroute is on there too.

:> traceroute
    error: usage "traceroute [host|addr]"

:> ping
    error: usage "ping [host|addr]"

:> nslookup
    error: usage "nslookup [host|addr]"

10. 2 Thanks to kmount:

Duke (19th August 2009), Soulfish (19th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Yes, traceroute is on there too.
    Awesome, cheers! Nice to know in case we ever run into connectivity issues...

Thank Post
    Have you got NTP running, or at least manually synced the clocks with a machine that gets its time from the AD server? Any firewalls set up on the AD machine? If you're moving to a new domain is it on the same IP range (and is the 7110's IP valid for that range) and have you tried specifying the server by IP address to rule out DNS issues?

Chris
    Same IP range, and I've specified the DC in the CIFS using both IP and it's hostname on different occasions. Pinging the DC's hostname + IP both work from the 7110 so DNS isn't the issue. Trying to join a invalid AD domain also results in it throwing a DNS based error instead.

The time on the DCs and the 7110 are all within 30 seconds of each other.

Annoyingly this worked perfectly on the old 2003 R2 domain but it doesn't seem to like the 2008 R2 DCs

Yep, seen this yesterday.

Try lowering the Lan Manager compatibility level to 2 under CIFS and if necessary set a specific DC as a preferred DC (only used prior to joining).
    I've just seen a thread on the sun forums suggesting that (Storage General Discussion - Active Directory broken in 7000-series 2009Q2 release?). Just tried it (leaving the CIFS section blank and then tried again with it completed) and it's now throwing a different error:

The attempt to join the Active Directory domain failed for unknown reasons. Check that all properties are correct and try again. If the problem persists, contact your service provider.

Anyone encountered that error?

Thank Post
    Soulfish,

Looks exactly like what I seen yesterday (when talking to a 2008 R2 DC!); have a look in the logs and see if there's anything about being unable to import resource.

14. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Soulfish,

Looks exactly like what I seen yesterday (when talking to a 2008 R2 DC!); have a look in the logs and see if there's anything about being unable to import resource.
    Sure is: An attempt to import the resource 'ak:/ad/<random number>' has failed
    Lots of them

Thank Post
    I've got a call logged with Sun for it, can you do the same please?

I'll make our channel away of this problem and see if we can get a prompt response.

17. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Just as an FYI to people - Sun Support is 0870 6003222. Have the serial numbers of your hardware ready and be aware that if you've bought through a reseller you may need to get them to update your contact details as the hardware may be registered to the distributor.

Cheers,
    Chris

19. 2 Thanks to Duke:

kmount (19th August 2009), Soulfish (19th August 2009)

Thank Post
    I've got a call logged with Sun for it, can you do the same please?

I'll make our channel away of this problem and see if we can get a prompt response.
    Logged a call with Sun support - hopefully we can get a fix for this soon

Just as an FYI to people - Sun Support is 0870 6003222. Have the serial numbers of your hardware ready and be aware that if you've bought through a reseller you may need to get them to update your contact details as the hardware may be registered to the distributor.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Thanks for that - was going to go lookup the number but you saved me the hassle

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Same IP range, and I've specified the DC in the CIFS using both IP and it's hostname on different occasions. Pinging the DC's hostname + IP both work from the 7110 so DNS isn't the issue. Trying to join a invalid AD domain also results in it throwing a DNS based error instead.

The time on the DCs and the 7110 are all within 30 seconds of each other.

Annoyingly this worked perfectly on the old 2003 R2 domain but it doesn't seem to like the 2008 R2 DCs

I've just seen a thread on the sun forums suggesting that (Storage General Discussion - Active Directory broken in 7000-series 2009Q2 release?). Just tried it (leaving the CIFS section blank and then tried again with it completed) and it's now throwing a different error:

The attempt to join the Active Directory domain failed for unknown reasons. Check that all properties are correct and try again. If the problem persists, contact your service provider.

Anyone encountered that error?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba from Wicked the Musical
    It's MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Okai enough of the LOL factor, its me that Kim has had this problem with trust me to be the one to break it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Okai enough of the LOL factor, its me that Kim has had this problem with trust me to be the one to break it.
    Don't worry, I've broken our 7410 enough times that Andy or Phil just phone me up and sigh now.

I think of it as doing Sun a favour by stress testing it...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread